Gransnet forums

Charities

Door-to-door collecting after dark

(8 Posts)
YorkieGothGirl Sat 19-Jan-19 12:14:20

My husband answered the door last night to someone collecting on behalf of a national charity. I find this out of order, particularly if the occupant is elderly, vulnerable or if they are on their own. I've contacted the charity to see what their guidelines are.

All things being equal, night time is not a good idea to be called upon by people you don't know.

Charleygirl5 Sat 19-Jan-19 12:18:45

I do not give money to anybody at my front door because I have no idea who they really are.

I also hate strangers ringing my doorbell at night but luckily I have a video entrance system so I do not have to answer my door.

Also if somebody comes during the day offering to eg fit a security alarm I now say that I rent the house. That gets rid of them.

EllanVannin Sat 19-Jan-19 12:44:37

I won't/ don't answer the door after dark unless I know it's a genuine caller who's previously phoned ( family ) I also have the safety of an emergency link which is a godsend.

HootyMcOwlface Sat 19-Jan-19 12:47:10

This type of thing really unsettles me. I’ve now bought one of those No cold callers stickers off eBay (only about £1) and put it by my bell!

TerriBull Sat 19-Jan-19 13:00:30

I think we had a thread fairly recently where someone posted that they had a charity representative knock on their door fairly late, maybe 9pm. The general consensus then, as it is now, this strategy is most unwelcome, particularly for those living on their own. I don't think it should be done, at best it's intrusive and at worst it's frightening to have an unexpected caller, particularly on a dark night.

glammanana Sat 19-Jan-19 13:08:56

We never answer the door of an evening unless we are expecting family there should be a code of practice in force to make it illegal some of the worst offenders are Age UK which is unbelievable.
To be honest it takes me all my time to answer the door or the phone during the day if I can't be bothered to talk to anyone.

sodapop Sat 19-Jan-19 13:11:52

I remember that Terribull , definitely unacceptable practice. Age UK should know better.

Telly Sat 19-Jan-19 14:53:29

I would not give to door to door collections either and think that the practice is unacceptable.