Gransnet forums

Charities

Salvation Army Collection Banks best for good condition clothes?

(10 Posts)
seacliff Thu 30-May-19 11:41:56

I am having a big clear out. The easiest charity collection point is the Salvation Army clothes bank in our village car park.

I am not sure if items just all go to be recycled and sold by weight, possibly abroad. If so, it seems a shame to give, in some cases, new items never even worn. Maybe I would be best to hand really good items to a charity shop, but this is not so convenient to get to, parking problems.

We never get charity bags left as we are out in the sticks.

It is hard to find out. SA seem to say that in some cases items are given to their shops. Just wondered if any of you know more? Thanks.

Witzend Thu 30-May-19 11:48:26

Can't say I know for sure, but I think I'd trust the SA more than most, to make the best use of whatever they're given.

Parking anywhere near charity shops is usually impossible anywhere around here. I often take just a few items in a bag, rather than a major load, when I'm going shopping anyway. Would this be an option for your new/nearly new things?

sodapop Thu 30-May-19 11:52:43

Yes I agree Witzend I would trust the Salvation Army to make the best use of the goods they are given.

glammanana Thu 30-May-19 11:59:33

We had a clothing bank at my grandchildrens school which when it was first started did a fine job of collecting items towards a church charity for homeless.
Unfortunatley over a couple of years people deposited used food containers and bottles & cans even old cans of paint just tipped in the bank which contaminated the other items and they became useless.In the end it was removed.
I would ring a few charities and ask them if they will collect from you explain your position and they may be able to help you.

Justme67 Thu 30-May-19 12:16:30

I just looked on the web for the Salvation Army and found a link to a local group where they will come to collect. I particularly specified that I was clearing out my husband's clothes, and that I knew he would want them to be USED to help those without homes, not sold in the local charity shop. All this was done on line, and a very nice young man came and helped me pack up EVERYTHING that I had sorted. He also came again later on for some more bits and pieces, no stipulation, but he was pleased to take what we had, evidently they can make use of/find homes for/dispose of quite a lot of things. He also had time to stop and chat which was a bonus, no doubt I will be calling on him again, and although he cannot always come at a specified time, he has sometimes just popped in when he knows I have something. As you can tell I have been very happy with this, and hope my husband's clothes are making life a little more comfortable for whoever is wearing them, he would have liked that.

seacliff Thu 30-May-19 12:46:04

Thanks all.

Justme. That was a lovely thing, to know your husbands clothes are being of use to someone who really needs them, that's comforting.

I can't find anything like that around here. Just the nearest centre is about 16 miles away. I think I will just take new items to a local charity shop (hospice) a few at a time, as someone suggested. Older items and very serviceable shoes and boots will go to the bank. Yes of course I do trust the Salvation Army, they do a great job.

Witzend Thu 30-May-19 13:21:02

Re the Sally Army collecting, very shortly before Christmas one year I won in a raffle a big hamper full of edible goodies. I frankly felt bad for winning such a thing, when the house either was, or was going to be, stuffed with food anyway.

After wondering where on earth I could donate it to someone who could really do with it, I phoned the SA to ask whether they'd like it - someone came within about 20 minutes to collect it!

seacliff Thu 30-May-19 21:00:33

I went to the bank today and luckily a man was there with his SA van, just emptying it.

He said all items are sorted. Good clothes go either direct to people who need clothes, or to their shops. Other items are sold for recycling. They will quite often repair clothing, which surprised me. Great to know, and so handy to donate this way.

BradfordLass72 Fri 31-May-19 10:49:10

I am closely involved with the Sallies here and although I can speak only for my area, if you have good clothing take it to a Salvation Army shop don't put it in a clothing bank.

The contents of those big banks you see in car parks go to central warehouses where the clothing is baled and sold for making various things.
It doesn't usually go to the organisations sponsoring the bank - although they get a percentage of the sales to the 'rag men' smile

In fact they are phasing them out in New Zealand due to nasty substances (you would not believe what some people post but imagine the worst and that's it) being included in the fabric deposited. Plus theft of the banks and contents which are then sold to the the textile recycling companies, thus cutting out the profit to the charities.

Deal direct with a shop, at least then you know you are genuinely helping.

jaylucy Fri 31-May-19 11:16:41

The SA are one charity that regularly empty their banks themselves - the donations usually go to a central sorting place before being distributed to their shops, only the items of poor condition are sent for recycling to businesses that will actually use them to make something else.