Gransnet forums

Charities

House collection Failed

(9 Posts)
Alexa Fri 07-Aug-20 12:45:16

The AirAmbulance Service has failed to collect from my doorstep as and when they contracted they would do so. I am sorry because it is a good charity but I won't leave anything for them another time .

Does anyone know if anything is done after contacting via the given telephone number?

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 07-Aug-20 13:11:58

I think they outsource the collection?
Most bags that are pushed through your door are owned by Companies who only give a small amount to the nominated charity.
Not sure if this is true for the Air Ambulance but I assume it’s so for them as well.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 07-Aug-20 13:22:23

We get loads of these bags and nearly all of them are off a third party who make a “donation per tonne collected“ to the charity plastered all over the bag. I’m not keen on these and would rather take stuff to actual shops.

GrandmaMoira Fri 07-Aug-20 14:21:45

The London Air Ambulance does have charity shops and I think they do collect so it's not those bags that we all get through our door.
Is it worth contacting them again to rebook? I have had the same thing with BHF. BHF are also very fussy what they will take and reject a lot.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 07-Aug-20 15:36:47

We don't get many of these bags as we have a (not particularly long) drive and presumably nobody can be bothered to come up it, but when we do get one, I find them very useful for filling with any textiles for recycling and depositing in the Salvation Army collecting bin at the supermarket.

Alexa Fri 07-Aug-20 17:11:45

Yes, the plastic label was labelled "AirAmbulance" so the collector was directly employed by AirAmbulance.

pollyanna1962 Fri 07-Aug-20 17:17:00

I'm happy to take bags to the shop but now we have been told we need to book to do so. No thank you.

ExD Fri 07-Aug-20 17:26:09

It happens frequently around here too, in fact they missed a collection a few weeks ago. I agree, its a worthwhile cause but I do get annoyed when I've gone to the trouble of searching good stuff out for them( (including upsetting DH by including clothes he 'might wear again one day!!!!????) only to have it spurned.

BlueBelle Sat 08-Aug-20 06:48:51

I haven’t had a bag through my door for years (they were useful as bin liners) I never ever gave anything to them as they are just carriers and I was never convinced anything much went to the charity Take it to your local shop