Gransnet forums

Charities

Recycle your unwanted jewellery

(15 Posts)
Nortsat Fri 02-Oct-20 09:37:11

Lots of GNs are talking about clearing out their wardrobes and donating unwanted items to charity.
The Alzheimer’s Disease Society are asking for unwanted jewellery, even if it’s broken.

You can donate by sending your unwanted jewellery in a padded envelope to the below address. Don’t forget to include your name and contact details so that they can make sure it reaches them safely.

Freepost RTYR-ZUUZ-AULL
Alzheimer’s Society
c/o Partridges
3 Eagle Avenue
Magnetic Park Desborough
NN14 2WD.

Get digging through your cupboards and jewellery boxes GN’s.
PS I don’t work for the ADS nor am I gaining any advantage by passing on this information.
www.alzheimers.org.uk/

phoenix Fri 02-Oct-20 10:55:29

Good idea, Nortsat, thank you for the post.

Nortsat Fri 02-Oct-20 11:02:35

Thanks Phoenix, I managed to fill two envelopes, without any difficulty. ?

phoenix Fri 02-Oct-20 11:52:44

Pretty sure I will too!

GrannyLaine Fri 02-Oct-20 12:41:29

Great idea phoenix but unfortunately some lowlife recycled all of mine one dark evening in January while we took two of our grandsons out for tea. Everything. Wedding ring, engagement ring, eternity ring, string of real pearls from our 30th wedding anniversary, bespoke gold necklace that my husband had made for me when I passed my midwifery finals. Not so much as an an earring left.

phoenix Fri 02-Oct-20 13:03:48

Oh GrannyLaine how upsetting. flowers

Missfoodlove Fri 02-Oct-20 13:13:13

Stop!!!
Has anyone thought to check this out?
Partridges is a fulfilment centre in Kettering.
Why are they taking the jewellery?
This could well be a scam.

Missfoodlove Fri 02-Oct-20 13:14:27

I cannot find anything on the link relating to this.

Calendargirl Fri 02-Oct-20 13:17:18

GrannyLaine

Great idea phoenix but unfortunately some lowlife recycled all of mine one dark evening in January while we took two of our grandsons out for tea. Everything. Wedding ring, engagement ring, eternity ring, string of real pearls from our 30th wedding anniversary, bespoke gold necklace that my husband had made for me when I passed my midwifery finals. Not so much as an an earring left.

Sickening.

Nothing replaces such items, no amount of insurance money.

Not the same, but I lost the gold watch my parents gave me for my 18th birthday. It was a bracelet strap, just slipped off on my way home from work, unnoticed for a few minutes.

It was the last thing my dad gave me before he died, it still grieves me years later. I know it is just a material thing, but it was very precious.

kittylester Fri 02-Oct-20 13:45:12

www.alzheimers.org.uk/form/old-jewellery-appeal

Here's the link.

silverlining48 Fri 02-Oct-20 15:01:13

Is this any jewellery, gold silver or costume?

Nortsat Fri 02-Oct-20 16:23:09

Yes Missfoodlove, I checked it before I opened the thread. Of course you’re right to be cautious.
In Feb/March this was an item in the Alzheimer’s Disease Society newsletter. I contacted them and requested two free post envelopes, to make a donation.

Then Lockdown happened and when the ADS sent the free post envelopes, they asked people not to donate during lockdown as their warehouse wouldn’t be staffed.
They then emailed this week advising that they were staffed now and could accept donations again. They also re-issued the freepost address.
The email received this week came from an ADS email address and the original article was in their newsletter. Thus I believed the request to be genuine and shared it here.

Nortsat Fri 02-Oct-20 16:25:00

Kitty thank you for tracking down the link ... you are a star ⭐️

Missfoodlove Fri 02-Oct-20 16:30:50

Thanks!!

GrannyLaine Fri 02-Oct-20 17:19:58

Thank you phoenix & Calendargirl
Strangely, though of course I was upset, my overriding relief was that they hadn't harmed the two cats who were in the house. In the end, they couldn't take the lovely memories attached to those things.