Gransnet forums

Charities

Donating to Food Banks

(11 Posts)
Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 11:13:46

Many of us will be ordering our groceries online at the moment and therefore not putting items into the collecting point for local food banks as we might normally do.

I have added items to our usual online shop and DH has deposited them at our local supermarket but I've just realised that we can donate any Tesco vouchers we've earned to The Trussell Trust. Tesco give the value of vouchers to the Trust.

This is the link if anyone us interested:
secure.tesco.com/clubcard/trussell-trust/UK-010021.prd

Other supermarkets have different schemes:
www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/consumer-advice/a34573095/food-bank-donations/

Money can also be donated in the usual way, of course.

vampirequeen Mon 30-Nov-20 18:48:41

Morrisons have a trolley full of ready made up bags at various prices so you can pick one up as you enter the store or you can add vouchers to your online shopping.

Jaxjacky Mon 30-Nov-20 19:20:41

I’ve donated money directly to our local one.

Riverwalk Mon 30-Nov-20 21:22:57

Since 2014 Ocado have operated 'You give, we give' with their online orders, so if you give £5 they match it and £10 is donated to their food bank partners.

They only send goods that have been requested, not any old stock.

Nanna58 Mon 30-Nov-20 21:25:43

Morrison’s have also a ‘ready bag’ for donating toys now too.

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 21:50:37

vampirequeen

Morrisons have a trolley full of ready made up bags at various prices so you can pick one up as you enter the store or you can add vouchers to your online shopping.

That's a really good idea.
However, some of us aren't getting out to the shops at the moment and I couldn't find a way of adding to my shopping on the Tesco website.

majen Sat 19-Mar-22 07:39:15

In my case its Red Nose Day yesterday, plus charity donations to help with the crisis in Ukraine. Weekly donations to food banks when shopping , and monthly direct debits to specified charities are just some of the ways to give, to help others.
My question is this…when a friend carries out an activity to raise funds for a charity of their choice how much would you give? Advice online is all about % percentage of income and tax relief on donations, that is unhelpful here.
How much would / do you give ?

nadateturbe Sat 19-Mar-22 08:39:22

Majen I give anything from £5 to £20 usually. If I'm not sure I look at others donations.

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Mar-22 09:24:31

Majen it would depend on the charity for me. I have more time for some more than others.
I suppose it would also depend on the friend - whether it was a close friend or a colleague.
I few years ago it seemed that every single week, or twice a week, someone was doing a collection for something.
So, anything between £1 and £20

(If I were you I’d start a new thread as your question isn’t really relevant to the opening post smile)

Teacheranne Sat 19-Mar-22 11:40:12

Although I have online deliveries, I do order some extra things for a local food bank. Our community Facebook group posts a list of what they need each week and I try to order some things. I live quite close to the food bank so it’s no problem to drop off my items when I am out and about.

1987H2001M2002Inanny Tue 14-Feb-23 16:58:54

Great to hear all the information, thanks ladies.