Gransnet forums

Charities

Not Forgotten Association

(6 Posts)
Maywalk Wed 02-Jun-21 11:09:37

Having lived through WW2 and being bombed out twice and machine gunned twice I sat thinking last night of my own father who was a boy soldier during WW1. I remember him telling me that he belonged to the "Not Forgotten Association" which now includes the veterans of WW2.
Just wondering if anyone else knows about this Association.?
It is still going and when one keeps getting plea's to help various charities it makes me wonder why this one is never mentioned. thenotforgotten.org/
It has been going since 1920.

Just for the record and folk wondering at my age I am 91yrs old and went all through the London Blitz before being evacuated to the Midlands in 1941.

Blossoming Wed 02-Jun-21 11:35:31

No, I haven’t heard of them before. My parents weren’t married until after WW2 and my only knowledge of those times was through their memories. I have become more interested in WW1 since researching my family history and discovering some sad stories of family lost. So many young men, I’m now recording their stories so they are not forgotten. Thank you for this post.

silverlining48 Wed 02-Jun-21 13:07:45

Hello Maywalk I think I have heard of the Not Forgotten Association. It was their centenary last year, hope they are able to do something this year to celebrate this achievement.
They could contact radio4 who have a different charity appeal every Sunday morning. 100 years is worth celebrating and no, they are not forgotten.

Maywalk Wed 02-Jun-21 14:07:35

I lost an uncle within the first fortnight of WW1 Blossoming .
He has his name carved on a stone there.
When I contacted the war office many years ago I was told he was the only one named Thomas Huddy who was killed in that war.
My mother ( Tommy's sister ) lost her eldest sister and twin nieces on the Titanic in 1912 and Tommy killed in action in France and Flanders on 28th /August /1914.

Not many remember this wonderful association Silverlining and there is some very interesting reading on here about it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Forgotten_Association

Callistemon Wed 02-Jun-21 14:44:21

Hello Maywalk I think I have heard of the Not Forgotten Association. It was their centenary last year, hope they are able to do something this year to celebrate this achievement.

That may be where I had heard of it too.

We do know two or three ex-servicemen who were in WW2, I will mention this to DH.

Callistemon Wed 02-Jun-21 14:45:59

Actually, I've just counted six whom we know, one of them an ex-WAAF officer.