Gransnet forums

Charities

Chuggers

(39 Posts)
Ellie Anne Tue 12-Apr-22 16:23:16

Today I was approached by a young lady campaigning for a deaf childrens charity. She was very nice but obviously going through a script and very hard to interrupt without being rude. She only stopped when she got out the iPad to get information and I managed her to tell her I would not be signing up for anything and told her which charities we support on a regular basis. I know it’s a difficult job and she was only trying to earn a living but I find it a bit threatening and usually manage to avoid them.

Beautful Sun 30-Oct-22 10:07:37

As soon as anyone approaches me I put my hand up & say ' No thank you ' & walk off ... why oh why do people give their bank details to someone in the street ... any one can hear !

Oldwoman70 Sun 30-Oct-22 09:57:54

I was approached by someone collecting for the local Air Ambulance. I was willing to make a cash donation but they said they were only looking for people to sign up for regular payments. I declined. Another time I was approached by a couple asking me to sign up for Alzheimers Society, again they were not taking cash donations.

There are certain local charities which I support and while I am willing to make the occasional cash donation to other charities I don't want to commit to donating any more money on a regular basis.

grannysyb Sun 30-Oct-22 09:52:15

Recently, we have had people knocking on the front door, l always say no. Looked it up apparently it's legal.

LizzieDrip Sun 30-Oct-22 09:43:11

I don’t like this way of fund raising. TBH I’d be surprised if they raised much for whatever charity it is. I would imagine people being hesitant about giving bank details to a stranger in the street - I know I wouldn’t give them my details.

swimcold Tue 11-Oct-22 10:54:42

Sago - same here my Mum went into a home recently loads of money going out each money on charity direct debits.

M0nica Tue 11-Oct-22 09:39:52

I smile, say ' I am not interested in donating to this charity' and keep walking.

Sago Tue 11-Oct-22 09:25:24

It’s wrong!
When my mother went into a home and I took over her financial affairs I discovered she had signed up to so many charities.
A small fortune was going out every month.

silverlining48 Tue 11-Oct-22 09:03:34

I think the person collecting ‘customers’ gets quite a decent commission fir everyone they sign up which goes on for some period of time.
So no, I have charities I contribute to directly and would not agree to do this.

biglouis Tue 11-Oct-22 00:53:28

Theres no way Im giving my card details to some random in the street.

Curtaintwitcher Sat 08-Oct-22 16:19:32

Anything which discourages the public from shopping in their town centre should be banned by councils. We have seen from 'lockdown' the impact of people buying on-line. Being harassed by anyone while out should be illegal.
If I see someone standing with a collection box and a tray of poppies/daffodils etc., inviting people to donate, then I am usually happy to do so. I make regular donations by phone and I shop in charity shops....because I choose to not because I have been goaded into doing so.

BlueBelle Sat 08-Oct-22 16:15:22

We don’t have any in town Centre now but previously I just would smile and walk on it’s for me to decide what charity to respond to

Dickens Sat 08-Oct-22 15:53:20

This reflects one of the problems with our increasingly cashless culture.

People were willing to dig into their pockets or purse to put money into the chuggers' buckets, but not so happy to sign-up to something they hadn't the time to consider, nor hand over their bank details to complete strangers in the street.

I'd organise it differently - ask people to make a 'one-off' donation and get the charity to give their bank details for the payment.

Dickens Sat 08-Oct-22 15:37:41

crazyH

nexus - aren’t you lucky to be living in the West End ! Your house is probably worth a fortune !

... gosh, that's a bit personal!

What has the value of her house got to do with giving to charity or signing up at the request of a chugger?

Nell8 Sat 08-Oct-22 15:33:41

I've been caught out by charity collectors who keep most of the takings for themselves. Two men dressed as superheroes were collecting "for children" in a local shopping mall. I asked a security guard if they were bona fide. He said the two men were running a business and would have applied for a licence to be there. Sadly it's not always like the situation where genuine volunteers give up their time for free.

Charleygirl5 Sat 08-Oct-22 15:17:00

I was caught out a few days ago at my local shopping centre. I was approached so I told the woman I did not carry cash (untrue) so she produced a card reader! I just walked on but unfortunately, she and her colleague appear to be there daily.

I also hate it when they are actually inside my local supermarket. It is difficult to avoid them going in or out. I can hardly say I am down to my last £ as it is Waitrose, my local!

Joy241 Sat 08-Oct-22 15:12:34

I sometimes tell them that I have DDs to several charities and any more could result in me having to ask for charity for myself.

biglouis Sat 08-Oct-22 15:04:06

As soon as I see them approaching me from a dstance I hold out my hand in a "barring" gesture and shake my head. This usually does the trick.

On one occasion in London's Oxford Street one took great offence and began to follow me shouting insults. I saw two police standing nearby and made a complaint to them about "aggressive begging". I dont know how it turned out but they immediately accosted the "chugger" and began questioning him. I dont believe he was genuinely collecting for a charity at all.

Witzend Sat 16-Jul-22 12:58:39

I donate online if I want to. Chuggers just get a polite ‘No thanks’.
The first time I ever encountered one, ages ago now, was in central London. I agreed to sign up for a small monthly sum, but declined to give my age (irrelevant) or my phone number, since I didn't want them or anyone similar phoning me.

Several days later there was a letter saying that they were ‘unable’ to process my ‘application’ without this information!!
How’s that for barefaced cheek?

Letter went in the bin, and needless to say £x started going out of my account every month anyway.

SpringyChicken Fri 15-Jul-22 21:51:13

I'd never give my bank details to a stranger who stops me in the street.

foxie48 Fri 15-Jul-22 18:29:07

I support several children's charities and a couple for the homeless, I know at least two were as a result of "chuggers" and tbh I don't regret signing up. Charities do what brings in income, if it doesn't bring in income they don't do it. I know one of my regular donations has been going for nearly 15 years, it's updated to reflect inflation and it's for a well known children's charity. I have no problem in saying no and I don't find chuggers intimidating, they are just doing what they are paid to do.

Lexisgranny Fri 15-Jul-22 18:23:01

I too, hate being canvassed in the street, but must admit to (after the initial relief that I can get on my way without interruption) a secondary reaction of “OK, so why don’t you want my opinion/why do you think I couldn’t afford double glazing/ do I look too miserly to donate to charity.” My reactions are, to say the least perverse.

Elizabeth27 Fri 15-Jul-22 18:22:43

As many people do not carry cash charities are going more for the direct debit way of donating.I had a door knocker yesterday asking me to sign up, I declined but offered some cash, she said they were not allowed to accept cash so they ended up with nothing from me.

Ellie Anne Fri 15-Jul-22 18:13:06

So I m back moaning again. Yesterday they were in tesco entrance. Impossible to avoid. Jumping in front of you very enthusiastically! This time it was for Alzheimer’s. Good cause but I hate this way of raising money. If they had a can or a bucket I’d be happy to contribute but they don’t want that. I don’t think supermarkets should allow it.

Kalu Wed 13-Apr-22 00:05:19

I don’t appreciate being accosted in the street by charities. I simply shake my head and keep walking.

annodomini Tue 12-Apr-22 23:32:48

My sister and I once got 'chugged' in Paris. To a chorus of French curses, we were able to say a very firm 'Non'!