Gransnet forums

Charities

Which charity following the unexplained death of my 28 year old granddaughter

(19 Posts)
Nansypansy Sat 23-Dec-23 08:30:21

Can anyone suggest a suitable charity I could donate to following the sad unexplained death of my 28 year old granddaughter last Christmas Day which was also my daughter’s birthday. My daughter doesn’t want any celebration … no presents, cards, nothing and they have escaped for a few days over the festive season. This is my way of dealing with it. All emergency services were involved all to no avail. I feel so sad.

NotSpaghetti Sat 23-Dec-23 08:37:46

What a tragic loss for your family.
I hope you get through this festive period and gradually find some peace. flowers

Thinking of you all.

Is there a special love or interest your granddaughter was associated with?

OldFrill Sat 23-Dec-23 09:04:36

Hello Nansypansy
I am so sorry to read about your granddaughter's death.
There is a charity that was formed to help people deal with sudden deaths of any kind, the charity is called Sudden and is hosted by Brake (the road safety charity) but Sudden is set to support any sudden death.
The link is
sudden.org/about-sudden/
NotSpaghetti's suggestion of a charity your granddaughter might favour is an excellent idea too.
My very best wishes.

Calendargirl Sat 23-Dec-23 09:15:03

So sad.

Our local Air Ambulance always seems a worthy cause, they rely on public donations.

Do you have something similar in your area?

Fleurpepper Sat 23-Dec-23 09:21:01

Yes, so so sad. Can't find the words really, apart that I am so sorry.

For a Charitiy, I'd try and think of my grand-daughter and what she liked, and imagine what SHE would have wanted to support.

virtual hugs

Aldom Sat 23-Dec-23 09:35:04

Nansypansy my heart goes out to you and your family. I am so very sorry to hear of your beloved granddaughter's unexplained, sudden death. Compassionate Friends is a charity which helps those bereaved of a child of any age, a sibling or grandchild. This charity helped me to survive the sudden death of my adult son. My kindest thoughts are with you.

nanna8 Sat 23-Dec-23 10:28:23

Christmas will be hard for you and my heart goes out to you. I agree with others, something your granddaughter would approve of - did she like animals, did she have anything in her life that she was supporting ?

Patsy70 Sat 23-Dec-23 11:03:08

So very sad to hear this Nansypansy. Such a tragic loss of a young life for you and your family, particularly on that day. I would agree with others, and choose a charity which would be close to your granddaughter’s heart. 💐 and for Aldom .

vegansrock Sat 23-Dec-23 11:13:51

If she died of an undiagnosed heart condition, which is the cause of many sudden deaths in young people, you may like to support CRY ( Cardiac Risk in the Young). We lost a 16 year old family member over 10 years ago to a sudden death and know how devastating it can be. Condolences.

vegansrock Sat 23-Dec-23 11:17:40

www.c-r-y.org.uk/

You might like to check out their website, lots of info on sudden unexplained deaths in the young.

vintage1950 Sat 23-Dec-23 13:12:47

flowers flowers Nansypansy.

tickingbird Sat 23-Dec-23 13:33:06

I can’t help with any charity suggestions beyond what’s already been posted but should like to offer my condolences. flowers

silverlining48 Sat 23-Dec-23 14:21:24

Nansypansy flowers

LauraNorderr Sat 23-Dec-23 15:03:30

Oh Nansypansy, what a terrible tragedy, my heart goes out to you and your family.
I would think any charity you choose will be grateful as they are all struggling.

Purplepixie Tue 02-Jan-24 12:06:27

I am so very sorry for your terrible loss. This must be an agonising time of year for you all. flowers There are so many charities out there and I wouldn’t like to chose a definite one for you but anything connected to children might be a one to pick. Take care.

silverlining48 Tue 02-Jan-24 15:58:57

Hope you have been able to make a decision which charity you want to donate to Nansy.
It’s every mother’s worst nightmare and I am thinking of you and your daughter.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 02-Jan-24 16:10:13

You have my warmest sympathy.

If there is any charity you particularly favour give to it, if there isn't one your granddaughter would have wanted to support.

Or you might want to consider donating to a charity that aims to improve life for disadvantaged teenagers and young adults.

I didn't see your post until today - so I hope that you have somehow got through Christmas and New Year without too great sadness, although I know how hard that must have been.

crazyH Tue 02-Jan-24 16:17:17

Nansypansy - how very sad 😢
flowers

BlueBelle Tue 02-Jan-24 16:30:40

Oh nansypansy how how sad for you all, there are no words just a hug 🫂