Gransnet forums

Chat

Fading Women

(90 Posts)
dorsetpennt Fri 20-May-11 09:16:52

A reader on another forum was be-moaning the media's portrayal of a grandmother. This reminded me of an article in one of the quality papers several years ago.I am paraphrasing here: up to the age of 35 both men and woman passing give each other a glance. After 35 older men and and all woman do the same. After 50 only woman give each other a glance. From 60 years old we are fading fast and by 70 have disappeared all together. So unless you are a very young grandmother and/or extremely glamorous why would the media portray you as a useful vibrant member of society.

harrigran Sat 02-Jul-11 19:21:59

Respect ladies ! if I wear leggings I look like a barrage balloon with two bits of rope dangling grin

greenmossgiel Sat 02-Jul-11 16:06:07

dizzyliz -welcome! I'm a great-grandma too (and I also wear leggings!!!) grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 02-Jul-11 14:42:05

Great grans (and great grandads) are more than welcome to post at any time - in leggings if they so desire!

supernana Sat 02-Jul-11 13:46:51

dizzyliz Greatgrans are surely most welcome to post, wear leggings and have a thoroughly good time...smile

dizzyliz Sat 02-Jul-11 11:54:55

my first post, loved the poem, lol,yeh really. Question: are greatgrans allowed? To post? To wear leggings?

Elegran Sat 02-Jul-11 11:21:33

My mother used to say it is better to wear out than to rust away. But f I was sitting around while she was busy she also said crossly "Wear the old ones out first" so she was not entirely consistent.

Come to think of it, that should be in a different thread. I shall cross post it.

baggythecrust! Fri 01-Jul-11 20:55:26

smile Cheers, helshea!

helshea Fri 01-Jul-11 20:52:42

Ok, i admit defeat, I would rather climb a mountain than crawl into a hole!

baggythecrust! Fri 01-Jul-11 09:17:25

It would be a sad world without tigers, but it would be a dead world without worms. I know what helshea was trying to say but ... well ... in short, worms eat the world's garbage and turn it into useful stuff — soil. They are very important beasts, if easy to overlook. Just standing up for worms is all I'm doing. wink

Annobel Fri 01-Jul-11 09:06:04

Maybe it means that life is a tad more exciting as a tiger than as a worm - though how are we to know?

baggythecrust! Fri 01-Jul-11 08:53:32

Why?

Think evolution.

Tigers are not better than worms. Worms do a very important job and we'd be stuck without them. Really stuck!

helshea Fri 01-Jul-11 07:27:53

It is better to live one year as a tiger, than a lifetime as a worm!

sylvia2036 Thu 30-Jun-11 21:28:40

Pompa - I so agree about growing up - I'm still waiting for it to happen.

Talking of elderly though - I was talking to my husband recently about someone we'd seen who must have been in his 70s and described him as that old bloke, totally forgetting of course that someone is probably describing me, in my 60s, as that old woman. Ugh.

Elegran Thu 30-Jun-11 11:49:24

Pompa, a friend who had just become a grandad told me he was delighted , until he realised that he now had to sleep with a granny.

pompa Wed 29-Jun-11 20:16:23

Similarly, if when I was 50, a 36 year old lady asked me out, I would of course have declined grin. Mrs. P would have killed me. !!! But I can dream.

Faye Wed 29-Jun-11 20:10:46

I wont mind when I am 75 pompa, because I will nearly be there. I was asked out for a coffee by a 43 year old man just last week. When I was 50 I was asked out by a 36 year old hmm Of course I declined, I didn't want anyone to think I was babysitting! grin

pompa Wed 29-Jun-11 19:52:34

Perhaps, when you are 75, you will then describe a 90 year old as elderly. smile

How many of us, when we were 20 could ever conceive that we would sleep with an OAP.

Growing old is mandatory - Growing up is optional. (perhaps it is the later that gets me in so much trouble) grin

Faye Wed 29-Jun-11 19:44:59

I tend to do a slow burn when I read people who are just over 50 described as elderly. I would describe an 80 year old as elderly. I find it difficult to ignore inane remarks and have been known to comment if it irritates me too much. blush

pompa Wed 29-Jun-11 19:09:48

Ladies, the "One show" at this very moment has the answer, I hardly noticed the guests cleavage as her hair was bright red/orange and very big.
And no, don't encourage me, I will only get worse.

jangly Wed 29-Jun-11 19:02:53

grin

harrigran Wed 29-Jun-11 18:48:29

jangly, don't encourage pompa.

jangly Wed 29-Jun-11 18:36:24

Just don't ogle my daughter's cleavage whilst totally ignoring mine! wink

jangly Wed 29-Jun-11 18:28:31

You won't sleep tonight pompa. and serves you right.

jangly Wed 29-Jun-11 18:27:30

pompa - I don't see anything offensive in your last post. grin

Come on Granieee, we know they're all the same. wink They can't help it.

pompa Wed 29-Jun-11 17:18:10

Sorry, did not intend any offence, sincere apologies to anyone who was. This was intended to be a tongue in cheek response. blush