Gransnet forums

Chat

Driving; help!

(18 Posts)
crimson Wed 22-Jun-11 19:02:06

Today I did a round trip of 60 miles, and my driving is appalling. I was nervous about doing the drive anyway, and I completely messed up a road island and could have caused an accident. I've always been a nervous driver but, on roads that I know am very safe and careful. The S.O. does most of the long distance driving and, prior to that my ex used to do so. I don't want to be someone who just drives to the supermarket and back, but, how do I improve my driving safely? I hate things like slip roads on motorways..my instinct is to slow down all the time [not what one does on a slip road!], and I hate speed. I heard recently that the most dangerous drivers are those who passed their test ages ago and then did very little driving. I used to drive round Birmingham in my youth [no quarter given there!]. What happened to me and what can i do about it?

greenmossgiel Wed 22-Jun-11 19:19:38

Crimson, I know exactly what you mean. I passed my test in 1983, and always did the driving when we went out for an evening, so that my husband, who was a lorry driver, could safely have a drink. I was always nervous on roads that I wasn't familiar with, and would avoid going anywhere that meant I had to drive on a motorway, or enter one by way of a slip road. I find now that I'm having to concentrate more, so that I don't make silly mistakes,even on the roads I'm familiar with. To be honest, I think if I was to resit my test now, I'd definitely fail it. We're planning to sell the car anyway, because it's so expensive to run now. I think it's a good idea in more ways than one. If you really are feeling unsure of your driving skills though, Crimson, why not take a wee refresher course? I'm sure they're available now?

Grumpyoldwoman Wed 22-Jun-11 19:37:47

I guess we are lucky living in the Borders, no motorways and many roads very quiet. When we go to Berwick (15 miles away) we probably see about half a dozen cars until we meet the A1 at Berwick. Tomorow evening I have to take my husband to hospital in Edinburgh (45 miles) for an overnight stay..drive home , then go to pick him up at 9.30 am.
I'm not sure how I would be on a motorway as it is a long time since I have driven on one.
I would hate to have to drive through a big city (apart from Edinburgh..I can just about cope with that)

glassortwo Wed 22-Jun-11 19:51:26

Crimson you can get refresher courses and you can ask for the lessons to cover driving on dual carriagways and motorways, slip roads etc. Give it a try and see if being in with an instructor gives you some of your confidence back!

crimson Wed 22-Jun-11 20:02:27

I just want to personally go up to all the people on that island and apologise! I hate using mirrors as well;what I mean is that I use them all the time but prefer to look over my shoulder and not use wing mirrors [because of blind spots].can't do that at 50 miles an hour. My worst nightmare would be to have to drive round the M25. Good luck with the drive tomorrow, grumpy. Isn't it beautiful in the borders; sometimes we'll drive for ages without seeing another car..the S.O. will say 'if this was the Lake District it would be packed out with cars, and just look at the view'. I don't drive when we're 'oop north' either, because I don't like driving someone elses car. Will look into refresher courses; again it's all down to money..I'm also trying not to drive too much because of the cost of petrol. Bit of a catch 22 all round!

glassortwo Wed 22-Jun-11 20:17:22

It is a catch 22!

I dont think you have to block book so maybe 1 hour would give you an idea, you could ring around and get a price.

pompa Wed 22-Jun-11 20:45:32

I used to, and still do drive long distances, our children both live a long way away. BUT, I like it less and less, I see myself making more mistakes than i think I used to, and I hate city driving. I am sure this is because i am getting older and more cautious, and road conditions are getting worse.

As far as motorways go, they are the safest roads of all to drive on, only 6% of all road deaths occur on motorways, and 3% of those are motorway workers. Because everyone is travelling in the same direction accidents occur at low impact speeds, typically less than 20mph. So there is no need to be frightened of motorways, just log along behind a lorry in the inside lane and you will be fine.

Always drive at a speed you are comfortable with, don't be intimidated by the idiot behind you. If you get a long queue, just pull into a lay by and let them past occasionally.

crimson Wed 22-Jun-11 21:55:23

Strangely enough, on the way home I seemed to be driving along the A 50 with no one near me..think the bongo drums had been out saying, don't go near that old woman in the Toyota..she's an accident waiting to happen! I'm quite good on motorways, in that I think ahead, look out for danger and can always sense when someone is about to do something silly. Always think about the drivers around me..get out of the way if I'm slowing someone down etc. On A roads I tend to stay in the outside lane approaching slip roads so I don't have to move across if someone is trying to get on. Thinking about it, my problem is when I have other cars around me; it's almost a claustrophobia/panic. I also worry that there are other people driving that are as bad as me! My neighbour described my driving as 'never had an accident but seen plenty [embarrassed]'.

crimson Wed 22-Jun-11 22:13:48

I meant blush....anyways, have emailed an approved refresher course driving instructor..got to feel sorry for the poor unsuspecting bloke [or blokette].

Joan Thu 23-Jun-11 09:04:15

I think that refresher course is a great idea, Crimson. It is certain to give you more confidence; I suspect the instructor will say there is nothing wrong with your driving, and give you some strategies for the sort of situations you hate.

You are doing the right thing: I probably did the wrong thing: I gave it up. On top of the fact driving exhausted me because I had to concentrate so hard to get it right, drive at the correct speed, keep to the correct road position, read the road in front and behind, and generally be defensive, driving always put my high blood pressure even higher.

However, if you decide you still hate driving after all your efforts with a refresher course, why continue? It is cheaper to use public transport and taxis, and much much easier on the nerves.

raggygranny Thu 23-Jun-11 11:42:36

Anyone else having trouble with night driving? I'm fine in towns, but once away from street lights I find oncoming traffic dazzles me and I can't judge the positions of things like bollards and stationary vehicles.

shysal Thu 23-Jun-11 12:30:09

raggygranny - I too hate night driving these days, but am so much more comfortable since buying a pair of night driving spectacles. They have a yellow tint and cut the glare down considerably. Clip-ons are
available for specs wearers. I bought mine cheaply on eBay.

rosiemus Thu 23-Jun-11 12:42:49

I had real problems until I got an updated prescription in my regular specs (difference from the old one was tiny - but what a change!)

artygran Thu 23-Jun-11 16:30:19

I am fine driving in towns (live in one of the biggest cities in England and happy to drive around it) and on dual carriageways but terrified of motorways. I have only driven on one once and didn't want to repeat the experience. I am totally phased by lorries.

bikergran Thu 23-Jun-11 20:09:00

"crimson " I too would sujest a little refresher course, maybe with a female instrctor, explain how you feel and the thing that worry you and im sure they will be of great help, you will have many years of driving to enjoy and you don't always need to use the motorways etc you may enjoy the back roads as lots still do, just because the motorwys are there we don't have ! to use them, I been a car driver for almost 35yrs and have recently been having motorcycle lessons lol...(yes I must be mad)...I went along feeling rather cocky!! (wrong) confused I had a brill female instructor who has taught me lots of things I never knew(things I hadnt been taught 35 yrs ago) which has now made me a better car driver (oh and I now keep an eye out for them motorcycles that creep up on you)!! hope you manage to over come your little problems...smile

bikergran Thu 23-Jun-11 20:15:12

oh forgot to mention...if you havnt already done so..grab yourself a "latest edition of the highway code" also if you look on the gov. website you can have practice tests of the theory tests..I was amazed at my poor scores when I first took it...also you can take a look at the "hazzard perception test" which when you have watched many of the clip..makes you more aware of hazzards, again things that I had never been taught.....[smil]

JessM Thu 23-Jun-11 20:32:10

It is partly practice Crimson I guess. I used to be a totally brilliant parallel parker when I lived in Swansea. I remember once both sons agreed that I must be fibbing that i had got into a space with only about 18" to spare. Here in MK we never have to do that kind of kerbside parking so I am now pretty useless. Also driving down streets in a Victorian area, with parked cars on both sides - what?
Instructors with Advanced Motoring qualification may be the way to go?
And don't keep thinking about your encounter with a traffic island. You will just reinforce the memory. Think about something pleasant instead. Let it go.

crimson Thu 23-Jun-11 22:38:15

Good idea about the Highway Code, and I'll check out the website as well. I'm always very aware of bikers on the road, as my ex husband rode motor bikes.