Gransnet forums

Chat

The worst Christmas gift!

(33 Posts)
Greatnan Thu 29-Dec-11 08:31:04

My nephew bought my sister a foot spa - one of the most unwanted presents in every survey! She thought he was going to buy her one with an electric massager in it, but it is just the cheap one that is virtually just a foot bath that heats the water. I wonder if he had it as a present from somebody else He is notoriously tight-fisted.

Annobel Fri 30-Dec-11 21:22:30

For our first Christmas as a married couple, my ex-H gave me a rather scruffy, allegedly antique silver (plated) propelling pencil that didn't work. Still doesn't, though it is now much more antique than it was then. Maybe Ebay...confused

cavera Fri 30-Dec-11 21:21:47

As my birthday is on Boxing Day I sometimes just get one present to cover both birthday and Christmas - it's not fair! Most people get a present for Christmas and another one on their birthday. sad

Annobel Fri 30-Dec-11 21:18:50

That's a good point, Grannylin. Where is jingl? We haven't heard much of her of late.

Gagagran Fri 30-Dec-11 21:17:10

My DH and I received a soft, beautifully wrapped parcel from a dear old friend, addressed to us both. Couldn't guess what it might be - it turned out to be a pashmina! Great fun was had all Christmas when my DS kept asking his dad when he would be wearing it! (It's gone in my present recycle box ready for the next bring and buy sale!)

Grannylin Fri 30-Dec-11 21:08:39

Where's jingl?wonder if her daughter has seen this thread!

marigold1 Fri 30-Dec-11 20:58:13

Mine this year from MIL, was wait for it................ a box of hand sanitising wipes, I THINK I managed to thank her properly, can't wait for my birthday as I usually get what I gave her from previous years!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greatnan Fri 30-Dec-11 20:23:38

That is really sad, hollybubbles - was there a limit on how many could attend?

harrigran Fri 30-Dec-11 19:12:20

hollybubbles sad

hollybubbles Fri 30-Dec-11 18:39:38

Mine was being told not to go to my Grand daughters nativity play by my Son and DiL...

Charlotta Fri 30-Dec-11 16:00:37

My worst present from MIL was 3 stainless steel steak knives and forks to match. Very sharp and expensive. This was followed by the other three to make up a set of six the next Christmas. I was so disappointed as I wanted so many personal things at that time. A bit of jewellery perhaps.

40 years have now passed and my Mil passed away some years ago but every Christmas what pleases me so much when laying the table? The beautiful, sharp, elegant steak knives and forks!

As to chocolates and bisuits etc I bin them! Too much sugar and/or wine gives me migraine.

glassortwo Fri 30-Dec-11 15:54:15

grace they were black leather with tan trim around top and they turned up every year like a bad penny! He must have really liked them or had seen someone who looked good in them grin and I would return to the shop and exchange them for something else and lo and behold next Christmas morning they were back again, think they had been crossed with a homing pigeon. grin

gracesmum Fri 30-Dec-11 15:31:56

Mmmm I loved Bally shoes and boots - pity we weren't on Gransnet in those days, we could have set up a Swapshop!
Was it actually the same pair? Did he have an arrangement with the shop - he bought them/you returned them/he bought them back (in the sales)?
Or, were they very kinky thigh high black patent leather perhaps? grin

Ariadne Fri 30-Dec-11 15:27:53

Do you remember those gift boxes of handkerchiefs? I vividly remember one Christmas, when I was about twelve, that I received about six of them. I was so disappointed, but I suppose there wasn't much to buy a pre- teenager back then.

Annobel Thu 29-Dec-11 23:36:08

When I was a teenager, every pair of nylons was very precious and my aunt always gave me a couple of pairs for Christmas. This was in the days when they came in foot sizes and she always gave me at least one size too big. sad

glassortwo Thu 29-Dec-11 23:34:04

Every Christmas for about 5 years DH bought me the same pair of Bally boots and every year I took them back, by the end I think he was just buying them to annoy me grin and still this year he did ask would I like a pair of Bally boots, wont tell you what I said.

numberplease Thu 29-Dec-11 23:29:33

I hate mobile phones with a passion, only have one to keep in touch with eldest daughter when we`re on holiday, so a couple of years ago, when hubby started to drop hints about which phone I liked the best, I made it plain (or I thought I did) that I didn`t want a new mobile phone. So come Christmas Day, what had he bought me? 3 guesses!

grannyactivist Thu 29-Dec-11 23:12:38

When I was a little girl my aunt bought my sister and me two padded sateen coat hangers each - at a time when we didn't have a wardrobe or more than one dress each!!

Greatnan Thu 29-Dec-11 21:53:46

Am I the only member who does not like chocolates very much? I like chocolate coated brazil nuts, but it has to be expensive chocolate, not that powdery stuff. Even then, I could not eat more than about four in a day.
Otherwise, I eat one square of very dark chocolate (at least 80% cocoa solids) every day, but it has to be flavoured with orange or mint.
I don't like biscuits, either, apart from ginger thins, and I hate cake, sugary cereals or sweetened yoghurts. I remember having a 'sweet tooth' as a child, but I was rarely able to indulge it, because of rationing. I don't know when or why I lost it, but now I much prefer fruit, nuts and plain yoghurt if I want a snack.
One daughter was well aware that I did not eat most chocolates, and made sure she bought me a large tin of Roses every Christmas - guess who ate them!

glassortwo Thu 29-Dec-11 21:26:43

If I get any chocs I just open the box when the SIL is about and he clears the lot, saves me eating them grin

Annobel Thu 29-Dec-11 21:14:24

So appealing, aren't they! As I won a box in a raffle I felt duty bound to lead the charge. DIL and GC also helped. DS very smug about abstaining!

Carol Thu 29-Dec-11 20:42:37

Yes, that's what these blighters are doing - I haven't given in yet!

nanarosie Thu 29-Dec-11 20:40:51

Carol it's the way chocolates almost wave and smile at you that always weakens my not very strong defences smile

Carol Thu 29-Dec-11 17:34:38

I keep requesting no chocolate and this year only received a small M and S box with a bottle of cava. 8 chocolates isn't going to do me much harm. But....this morning, a box of fortified wine and spirits Hotel Chocolat chocs came through my letter box - I had ordered one a few months ago and forgotten to cancel so no more would be sent. They're looking at me now..........

greenmossgiel Thu 29-Dec-11 17:03:57

I am addicted to chocolate as well, Pennysue! I cannot have a box in the house without having to finish off the whole lot - usually at a sitting! I've been given a large box of Black Magic and I've had to put it in the cupboard, so I can't see it...my husband doesn't like plain chocolate, so I'll have to give it away!
Our worst present this year 'happened' because 'someone' thought that we were cutting-back present-wise, and didn't want to embarrass us by giving us too much. We received a bag which contained a woolly hat - (the sort you can buy in the Spar shop) for my husband, (I think it was for him...though the person who gave it knows he doesn't wear hats)confused...a bag of Mars sweeties, an obvious raffle-prize of rather battered toiletries - oh, and 2 cans of Aldi's beer! I was then told off quite heartily by the giver of these delights because I bought her more than I should have done! Maybe that sounds a bit ungrateful, but whenever someone says, "It's the thought that counts", it does make you wonder what they thought of you in the first place! grin

Pennysue Thu 29-Dec-11 14:04:06

Chocolate - it takes all my self control not to consume Chocolate and every year I request "no chocolate please" - I am an addict and like an addict of anything have to keep away from it: after all you would not give an alcoholic booze. I know I should use self control but!!!!!

I do a lot of crafting and would love to receive anything in that line, which I have mentioned more than once.