Gransnet forums

Chat

1940's baby menu

(159 Posts)
Seventimesfive Mon 30-Jan-12 14:03:42

In another thread I wrote about writing my life story and as part of the research and preparation for this I have been looking at my old baby book and found the following which shocked and made me laugh at the same time.
When I was 6 months old in 1943 my mother was recommended the following diet for me:
Breakfast - porridge, milk and glucose, steamed fish or fried bread and a little bacon or boiled egg.
Dinner - veal bone soup containing veg, boiled chicken or rabbit or Irish stew, semolina pudding, or rice pudding, or stewed fruit and egg custard.
Tea - bread and butter, rusks soaked in milk, milk to drink and sponge cake.
This is long before the days of little pots of food and I had a vision of me sitting down to a three course meal! Can you imagine anyone recommending this today for a six month old! Anyway, I've survived and am pretty fit for my age!

carboncareful Mon 30-Jan-12 17:47:30

As well as the spoonful of blood from the roast we used to have to drink the cabbage water..... And the runny lard from frying the pan was added to the plate when having eggs & bacon.

Seventimesfive Mon 30-Jan-12 17:47:34

Just had a look on the web and four years ago you could get its equivalent which is malt and cod liver oil, at Holland and Barretts. Did you have the flat bottles of orange juice and Minidex? How about rose hip syrup?

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 17:51:07

Goeblers orange juice. Lovely neat.

whatisamashedupphrase Mon 30-Jan-12 17:56:48

You can still get codliver oil and malt extract. Think you can still get Virol itself too.

Carbon I still swig down any cabbage/brocolli water that doesn't get used up in the gravy! It tastes ok! Waste not, want not. smile

whatisamashedupphrase Mon 30-Jan-12 17:58:13

Rose hip syrup Seven!! Yes! gave it to DD's. Good source of vit C.

Sook Mon 30-Jan-12 19:09:53

Thankfully I've never tasted Virol. The jars I have must date from around the first two decades of the 20th century if not before and definately state that it is a preparation of Bone Marrow. I can remember my Mum and Nan mentioning Calves Foot Jelly Urrrgh! So perhaps it was something similar to that.

artygran Mon 30-Jan-12 19:29:37

I'm told it is verboten to give children rose hip syrup these days - ditto Ribena!. Daft if you ask me. Supposed to be bad for their teeth. I gave both mine rose hip syrup and malt and cod liver oil (as did my mother with me) and they have lovely teeth. I bought some malt and cod liver oil when my GS was two and he spat it out all over the place! I ended up eating the whole jar myself (not all at once!). Good job I like it! I remember giving both mine Heinz bone and vegetable broth as a starter food. DH loved it and used to finish what they left! I suppose that could be the equivalent of the veal bone soup mentioned in the original post? I believe rusks are also frowned on these days - too much sugar, apparently. Hey ho....

harrigran Mon 30-Jan-12 19:32:43

Definitely malt extract Sook it was yummy. Rectangular bottles of orange juice from the clinic. We probably didn't need help with vitamins my family had a very healthy diet, family had a market garden.
The food for invalids was still being taught to nurses when I trained, we had to cook healthy meals for our patients.

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 19:34:59

Nowadays they probably teach them how to ruin beef burgers.

bagitha Mon 30-Jan-12 19:49:25

DD1 ate haggis, neeps and tatties at eight months. She loved it.

bagitha Mon 30-Jan-12 19:51:22

DD3 drinks nothing but Ribena and, occasionally, water. She's the only kid in her class with no fillings.

kittylester Mon 30-Jan-12 19:52:00

My daughter wolfed down cold (!!!!) shepherd's pie at 7 months and her daughter really love it too smile

JessM Mon 30-Jan-12 20:19:45

Maybe Virol started as one thing and then was relaunched as another when the notion of feeding bone extract to babies palled.
I think Ribena used to be more syrupy than it is now.
I was surprised to learn that orange juice has as much sugar in it as a fizzy drink (and they have the proverbial 8 teaspoonfuls in a can).
Yakult is even more sugary. I looked it up.
That NHS orange juice concentrate was lush wasn't it.
Do you remember milk tokens. I had them when my DS1 was born in 1971.

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 20:27:31

Have researched on google. Apparently there were two substances called virol. One in stone jars now available for £10 at an antique dealers, and the other in a brown glass jar which is the one we remember.

apricot Mon 30-Jan-12 20:58:29

I think children got free NHS orange juice and cod liver oil until they were 5. That was to prevent rickets, which is now coming back. At school everybody got 1/3 pint of milk daily. We were healthy children but most of our parents smoked.

whatisamashedupphrase Mon 30-Jan-12 21:02:38

kitty, my daughter loved cold stews at that age! And when we were out for the day she quite happily tucked into the Heinz tins of baby food - cold!

gracesmum Mon 30-Jan-12 21:09:58

Ours loved Virol
I used to make junket as a pudding for the girls when they were little, I'm not sure Angel Delight had been invented. Who remembers that? - DD is so fussed about what littlest fella eats and his healthy eating but she thrived (throve?) on fish fingers, junket, sausages, coddled eggs, and pizza.

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 21:13:46

The same here with my DD. you'd think we never brought up children. I just zip it and say yes dear,of course dear!

artygran Mon 30-Jan-12 21:32:28

Mine would sell their souls for Angel Delight, but when I thought recently that I might see if my grandson liked it, I read the ingredients list and changed my mind! My daughter would have had my guts for garters. Pity really; I bet he would love it!

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 21:34:33

I still like junket. Where do you get the rennin from?

tanith Mon 30-Jan-12 21:44:43

Codliver oil and malt mmnnnn yummy and as for that concentrated orange juice , I used to go with my sisters to the clinic where they were given both free.. and I used to steal my nieces and nephews gripe water when I baby sat I'm sure that stuff was addictive.

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 21:46:05

It was alcoholic!

Carol Mon 30-Jan-12 21:48:18

artygran we used to love butterscotch Angel Delight many years ago, and I thought I would try it again a few months ago, having heard it being discussed so fondly on a TV programme. It's disgusting! I guess palates have changed over the years and we are so much more discerning now about aditives and artificial flavours - it certainly does not taste of butterscotch. I had two spoonsful and chucked the rest away.

tanith Mon 30-Jan-12 21:59:10

jeni I'm sure it was, maybe thats why I became teetotal in my late 20's grin

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 22:00:14

Tt still?