Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you reading right now?

(674 Posts)
CharlotteOldie Wed 14-Mar-12 15:33:00

Always fascinating to know what people are reading and what they are making of it. I am deep in the Herries Chronicles by Hugh Walpole. A wonderful sweeping panoramic look at English history through the prism of a family from the Lakes. Highly recommended

Stansgran Wed 11-Apr-12 16:55:33

But the one on Gransnet is long and can get a bit entangled-why not delete 200 postings when some thread reaches 250. I tend to read only short threads. Just reading The Return by Hakan Nesser-read it 3-4 years ago and couldn't work out what it was all about -since then i've been reading lots of Scandinavian crimme and in particular the Martin Beck series and seem to be more on the same wavelength.All rather silly

Carol Wed 11-Apr-12 17:36:16

Stansgran I recently learned how to 'flip' the thread so the latest post comes up straight away and you don't get bogged down with all the ones that have gone before - don't know why I hadn't cottoned on - it's there on every page grin

glammanana Wed 11-Apr-12 18:08:08

Carol I am not the dumb blonde everyone thought I was blush grin I have been using the "flip" for while,but I think we should keep all the posts because there are many many books and the thoughts of other GNers are very interesting when I find I have to look for something interesting to read as sometimes I tend to find I need to change my reading material.

feetlebaum Wed 11-Apr-12 18:41:55

@Ariadne : What's your problem? And put Carol down while I'm talking to you... Why the indignation?

Baffled green eyes (like gooseberries in tomato soup my first wfe said)

jack Wed 11-Apr-12 19:35:31

I am reading War and Peace on my Kindle (49p!). The social observations are hilarious, and very pertinent to the above "spat"!

I have been too ill (bronchitis, asthma etc.) to worry about crossing threads with the Oldie lot. But even if I were well I don't think I'd want to enter the debate. Question. What debate?

What I do think we need on Gransnet is a breakdown of reading threads. The subject heading "What are you reading now?" is too broad. Couldn't we have a book title instead - so that all those interested or intrigued could contribute?

We could start with an author or a title and take it from there. Who agrees?

wotsamashedupjingl Wed 11-Apr-12 21:34:41

Actually, I think we should all go here and get free choccies. smile

Anagram Wed 11-Apr-12 21:37:41

Wouldn't that lead to a huge number of threads, jack? And they wouldn't be able to contain them under one heading - they'd be all over the forum!

Anagram Wed 11-Apr-12 22:42:41

Oops! wotsa, we seem to have strayed onto an Oldie Segment! Sorry folks...blush

Ariadne Thu 12-Apr-12 11:09:25

feetlebaum I don't have a problem. All has been clarified, thank you. End of conversation.

foray3 Mon 17-Sep-12 04:25:29

As a newcomer to "The Oldie" I am getting enormous pleasure from reading not only the magazine but the items in this forum. Thank you, it is great to find I am not the only curmudgeon with a sense of humour. My problem is finding books to read that are humourous, entertaining and interesting. Bill Bryson, Richard Bach, Bernard Cornwall, Douglas Adams, Spike Milligan even.

flowerfriend Mon 17-Sep-12 09:58:13

Just finished Cat's eye by Margaret Atwood. Just started Sweet tooth by Ian McEwan.

baNANA Mon 17-Sep-12 12:22:23

Loved Cat's Eye read it many years ago. I have recently bought the Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood which I'm told is good, hope it is because it looks quite long. Sweet tooth sounds interesting but I will wait till it goes into paperback. I have read Atonement which I loved and Endless Love by Ian McEwan which I though was OK. I've just started the latest Lee Child, Jack Reacher book, I've never read one before, my husband tells my they are terribly good.

annodomini Mon 17-Sep-12 12:54:08

I'm waiting for Sweet Tooth to go down in price or to appear in the local library. I loved Atonement - one of those few books which the film didn't ruin for me. Think you mean Enduring Love, baNANA - which is a play on the double meaning of 'enduring' - apologies for being pedantic blush

baNANA Mon 17-Sep-12 14:16:12

Yes annodomini, stupid me it is Enduring Love, I think Endless Love was a song! and I agree about the film of Atonement I enjoyed it as much as the book, so often this isn't the case. I wonder what Cloud Atlas will be like, such an unusual book.

feetlebaum Tue 18-Sep-12 08:19:13

Up to my ears n Trollope... reading Framley Parsonage, and have just watched DVDs of The Barchester Chronicles, Alan Plater's adaptation of The Warden and Barchester Towers.

Bags Tue 18-Sep-12 08:26:09

Instinctive Archery Insights by Jay Kidwell
Hitch 22 by Christopher Hitchens
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
The Island on the Edge of the World: the story of St Kilda by Charles Maclean

Mamie Tue 18-Sep-12 09:07:15

Peter Unwin: The Narrow Sea - a history of the English channel.
David Lodge: Changing Places. (for the umpteenth time)
Anthony Beevor: The Second World War.

Bags Tue 18-Sep-12 09:11:42

Wanna do some swaps, mamie? wink

I've never got into David Lodge. What's that one like? Must be good if you're re-reading again and again.

annodomini Tue 18-Sep-12 09:17:24

Yes. baNANA, Cloud Atlas must have been a challenge for any film maker. It's a fascinating book and ultimately rewarding. Have you read another of Mitchell's books, Ghostwritten? Also worth reading.

baNANA Tue 18-Sep-12 12:35:24

No annodomini I haven't read any other of David Mitchell's books, found Cloud Atlas really unique, but a bit hard going at times. Went to the cinema last night saw a trailer for the Life of Pi, haven't read that either, but the trailer looked kind of awesome as the Americans might say.

Mamie Tue 18-Sep-12 12:46:45

David Lodge is brilliant, I think. Gentle, ironic, perceptive and very funny. I love Changing Places, Small World, Nice Work, Therapy, Thinks and the brilliant Deaf Sentence, to name but a few.

annodomini Tue 18-Sep-12 13:18:50

Ditto, Mamie. Deaf Sentence, based on his own experience of hearing loss was hilarious but also insightful. My DS found that it gave him some insight into the way his partially deaf 7-year-old son hears conversations, especially in a gathering of people all talking at once.

eGJ Wed 19-Sep-12 09:09:44

Just finished Valentine Grey by Sani Toksvig. Think Boer War, "Pretty Polly Oliver" treatment of homosexuals and this contains the lot!!

specki4eyes Wed 19-Sep-12 22:12:19

Having been telling myself to read 'Bleak House' for so many years, I've just finished it - and I'm bereft! I wish I was starting it all over again!
I've often found Dickens a bit tedious - it may go back to bad memories of set books when I was at school. But this book I found so very moving with the most beautiful passages illustrating the plots and personalities and thus enabling me to accept the more farcical episodes and characters he loved to create.

feetlebaum Tue 25-Sep-12 11:51:06

BH is, so far, my favourite Dickens novel. Despite the ridiculous 'spontaneous combustion' death of Krook! Ridiculous or not, it was all wonderfully described.