Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you reading right now?

(674 Posts)
CharlotteOldie Wed 14-Mar-12 15:33:00

Always fascinating to know what people are reading and what they are making of it. I am deep in the Herries Chronicles by Hugh Walpole. A wonderful sweeping panoramic look at English history through the prism of a family from the Lakes. Highly recommended

numberplease Fri 17-Oct-14 00:12:07

Hi Terribull, so far, the only Tim Weaver that I`ve read is Never Coming Back, which I enjoyed, so will definitely read him again. annsixty, I hope you enjoy Entry Island. I`m just a few pages into Identical, by Scott Turow, not read enough to comment just yet.

annsixty Thu 16-Oct-14 18:15:29

I bought Entry Island a few weeks ago and it is still sitting on my bedside table. I am now looking forward to getting"stuck into" it.Thanks for the info.

TerriBull Thu 16-Oct-14 17:13:39

Hi numberplease I also read Entry Island and thought it was great too. Having read a lot of your reading posts I know you are a great crime fan. Have you discovered Tim Weaver? Have just read "Fall from Grace" very good and my husband has recently finished the forerunner to that "Never Coming Back" which he tells me is excellent.

numberplease Thu 16-Oct-14 16:24:34

I`ve just finished reading Entry Island, by Peter May, and thought it was a brilliant read. I loved his Lewis Trilogy, and have read a few other of his books, but having read 2 of the Enzo files, I`m not too keen on those at all, so won`t be going for the third one.

sparkygran Sun 12-Oct-14 12:59:23

mollie65 I have read them in order and like you not sure why she popped in the one about the monastery - though I enjoyed it - love the way she concentrates on one character but involves all he others I really feel as if I know them all.
Thin Air is on my list Ann Cleeves books are a good read - if I wasn`t so long in the tooth would love to visit Shetland!!

mollie65 Sun 12-Oct-14 07:25:19

sparkygran agree about Louise Penny - if like me you have read/reread them in the correct order she is so good at developing the characters with each new book. the only one I found difficult was the one set on a monastery on an island and not in Three pines village.
currently I have managed to get Thin Air by Ann Cleeves (shetland series) from the library. As you would expect if you have read any of hers - it moves slowly but is so atmospheric - you almost feel you are seeing the landscape and the people. grin

sparkygran Sat 11-Oct-14 13:51:14

I`m in the midst of "The Long Way Home" by Louise Penny her latest in the Inspector Gamache - love her writingsmile

henetha Sat 11-Oct-14 10:26:47

The second book in the Shades of Grey trilogy. Mixed feelings about it! blush

MargaretX Fri 10-Oct-14 23:01:13

I've just bought a Kindle just to get books which are often out of print. I'm reading A.J.Cronin's books again and enjoying them. Its nice to read about pre war days how they really were and not how modern writers portray them. (For too sugary in my opinion).

I'm also reading a book by Ian Rankin, its not bad-my daughter reads him.

tanith Fri 10-Oct-14 15:56:22

I'm reading Linda Bellinghams book 'There is something I'm dying to tell you' so far I'm liking it a lot..

numberplease Fri 10-Oct-14 15:49:27

I bought The October List, by Jeffrey Deaver, last weekend, but am ashamed to say that I gave up after 3 chapters. It`s a "back to front" book, the ending is at the beginning, and works backwards, so the start of the story is at the end of the book. Not for me, what`s the point of knowing the end before the beginning? Jeffrey Deaver says it`s his first attempt at this style of writing, let`s hope he makes it his last! I`ve just finished, and enjoyed, Dan Brown`s Inferno, the latest Robert Langdon tale. Wouldn`t want to read this type of book all the time, but enjoy them now and again. Am just about to start on an old book from the 80s, The Want-ad Killer, by Ann Rule, apparently she wrote/writes true stories about hunts for murderers.

Ian42 Fri 10-Oct-14 14:52:00

I'm reading Paying Guests, by Sarah Waters.

numberplease Mon 29-Sep-14 16:02:58

Playing Dead was good, not brilliant, but worthy of a read. I`ve just finished Broken, by Karen Fossum, a Norwegian writer. What a load of bunkum! I was so keen for it to improve as I went along that I read the whole book, but I needn`t have bothered, it didn`t get any better. The basic tale is a woman writer who writes a book a year, taking a year to write them, and has a queue of imaginary folk outside her house, waiting for her to write about them. One jumps the queue and comes in the house demanding to be written about right there and then. The chapters alternate between the story she`s writing, and him keep coming back to see her. Quite boring really, I wouldn`t recommend it.

numberplease Fri 26-Sep-14 16:42:35

Loved The Forgotten. Am now reading Playing Dead, by Julia Heaberlin, looks promising.

rosequartz Thu 25-Sep-14 20:45:21

Northanger Abbey, by Val McDermid.
And I always thought it was by Jane Austen! Silly me.

numberplease Thu 25-Sep-14 20:28:11

I`ve nearly finished The Forgotten, it`s been brilliant. My book stocks are getting a bit low, must replenish very soon.

Ian42 Thu 25-Sep-14 19:53:13

I'm reading Northanger Abbey, by Val McDermid.

sparkygran Thu 25-Sep-14 18:08:35

Have almost finished the Lewis Trilogy by Peter May it`s been a great read the 3 books

numberplease Wed 24-Sep-14 00:05:03

I`ve just finished a first book by John Burley, a thriller called No Mercy. I really enjoyed it, and hope there will be a follow up book, because at the end it leaves you wondering what happens next, there`s no actual conclusion.
I have just started The Forgotten, by David Baldacci, but haven`t read enough to give an opinion yet, but I usually enjoy his books.

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 23:41:19

Is that by Alison Pearson, flower? I think she used to be a journalist.

Must read it, I need something funny.

Flowerofthewest Tue 23-Sep-14 23:21:12

I Don't Know How She Does It - (forget author, book upstairs) hilarious

Have just finished the Lewis Trilogy - Peter May, Fantastic

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 19:59:12

I have just finished 'What Alice Forgot' by Liane Moriarty and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

TerriBull Tue 23-Sep-14 19:57:51

Having finished The Silkworm and enjoyed it I am having another foray into crime, nearly half way through Entry Island. I have never read any Peter May before, he seems to be a crime writer that is often mentioned on GN.

sparkygran Wed 10-Sep-14 18:19:32

Phillipa Gregory`s - The King`s Curse - I just love her books

numberplease Wed 10-Sep-14 15:50:44

Have now finished If the Dead Rise Not, but must admit to not being over thrilled with it. On the back of the book, in the synopsis, it starts off Berlin 1936, but the story never reached 1936, it stayed in 1934, until about two thirds of the way through, when it jumped from Berlin to Cuba 1954, and not really a very satisfactory jump either. It`s up to others whether or not to give this book a go, but afraid I can`t recommend it.