Gransnet forums

Chat

Did anyone hear the sonci boom?

(11 Posts)
numberplease Fri 13-Apr-12 16:10:46

I haven`t heard a plane breaking the sound barrier since the 50s, it was a regular thing back then.

tanith Fri 13-Apr-12 12:53:42

It could of been Jeni , Concord would go supersonic as they passed over the coast and boom..

jeni Fri 13-Apr-12 11:45:58

I used to hear them sailing cross channel. Two bangs, sounded like maroons being set off. It was Concorde?

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 13-Apr-12 10:47:56

Apparently the MOD thought the helicopter had been hijacked!

story here

Carol Fri 13-Apr-12 10:22:08

You will often hear sonic booms in the Lake District, where low flying military aircraft practice flying over terrain that is similar in challenges to that In countries like Afghanistan. The first time I heard the loud bang, I was driving over the brow of a hill and thought the bottom had dropped out of my car. Frightened the life out of me!

tanith Fri 13-Apr-12 09:34:07

Sorry totally off topic... daydreaming today..lol

tanith Fri 13-Apr-12 09:33:47

Didn't hear it here in London but I hope we don't when the Typhoons are stationed near us while the Olympics are on.. I do remember once on holiday in West Wales many years ago we heard Concord as it 'boomed' over the coast . Loved that aircraft it bought a lump to my throat every time I saw it..

Hunt Thu 12-Apr-12 23:34:11

Actually jingl I prefer sonci boom and shall call it that from now on!!smile

wotsamashedupjingl Thu 12-Apr-12 22:14:10

I'm not sure what the typhoon jet thought he was going to do about it though. confused

wotsamashedupjingl Thu 12-Apr-12 22:13:12

Should be sonic boom in title. hmm

wotsamashedupjingl Thu 12-Apr-12 22:12:43

Apparently a Typhoon jet was given permssion to put on a burst of speed and go supersonic after an emergency message was put out by a civilian helicopter, by mistake!

It was heard over places like Bath, Swindon, Coventry and Oxford.