Gransnet forums

Chat

In today's Mail on line............

(5 Posts)
Greatnan Sat 14-Apr-12 07:35:13

A controversial study has concluded that the real reason women pursue careers is because they fear they are too unattractive to get married.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2129456/Do-girls-want-career-attract-man-Provocative-study-casts-high-fliers-new-light.html#ixzz1rzgBWL1x

Typical Daily Mail headline - it is not a controversial study, it is a useless study on a handful of women in the USA. But why let the facts get in the way of any story that reinforces your misogyny?

shysal Sat 14-Apr-12 08:26:18

Speechless!!angry

Greatnan Sat 14-Apr-12 09:20:36

Women and girls are now overtaking men and boys at all levels of education in the UK and some professions are becoming female dominated. Good, as long as they retain their special female characteristics. (Thatcher was not a good example!) Some men are so afraid of us that they have to say ' Yah, boo, you only want this university place/good career because you can't get a man'.
Please note that I have said some men - my own grandsons are not in the least sexist and I am sure the same applies to all your families.

BlueSky Sat 14-Apr-12 12:24:55

This is not a new study, it's a Victorian study! Yes the women who weren't attractive (or belong to a wealthy family) had to find a mean of earning their own money as they were unlikely to find a suitor. But nowadays? Please! shock

granbunny Sat 14-Apr-12 12:28:07

brilliant! i know just what to say to my female pupils when i go back to work on monday...'study, you ugly creatures, as no man will want to marry you!'.

[hmmm]