Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I too old for jeans?

(102 Posts)
dorsetpennt Sun 15-Apr-12 09:59:32

I love my jeans - I have four in various blues, one black pair, one grey pair, one brown pair and a really good make of white jeans. I did say I like them. They seem to fit me well and suit me. I have nicer trousers for going out, various crop trousers - in fact one pair in denim. I don't want to give them up - my BFF wears them too and she like me is 67 years old. We say we can see us in the Rest Home [God forbid] wearing them. I don't wear shorts - in any style - I don't think it's fair to impose my old legs to the world. So Gransnetters what do you think?

Lizzle Sun 22-Apr-12 18:09:46

Hi - I've enjoyed this conversation. I live in jeans most of the time although I occasionally I wear something else just to ring the changes and give some of my other clothes an outing. Otherwise they might have to go to the charity shop and I hate disposing of clothes. I have some clothes I hardly ever wear, but the occasional times I do make it all worthwhile.

The trouble I have with jeans is that most jeans I try (and other trousers for that matter) gape at the back at the waist. I know a lot of other people have the same problem, so why don't manufacturers design trousers that don't?

Anyone got any ideas?

RollOnFriday Sat 21-Apr-12 15:27:00

Not sure why but I didn't start wearing jeans till I was in my late 30's. Now I'm 59 and wear them a lot, I feel good in them and wouldn't be without a pair. I agree that it can be a battle to get a good fitting pair but this makes all the difference to how they look and feel. I'm thinking about buying a pair of Not your Daughter's Jeans and would welcome some feedback about themsmile

vampirequeen Fri 20-Apr-12 20:12:50

I've just discovered jeans and I certainly don't want to give them up. I'm 53 and a BBW so my bum is big. I spent my life being told that only thin people could wear jeans and trousers but you know I've found recently that it's not true. Jeans are incredibly comfortable and we should all be able to wear whatever we choose to regardless of age or size.

Jan Fri 20-Apr-12 19:34:04

I live in jeans. I grew up wearing jeans and I'll wear them til I leave this mortal coil. I wore a skirt out to a posh dinner the other week for the first time forever and my family toasted my legs with Champagne in celebration!
Down with Skirts - Jeans are comfortable; practical; and hardwearing.

tiggar Fri 20-Apr-12 18:57:38

Hi every one, my first time on here. Just wanted to say I buy my jeans from Cotton Traders, they are waist high, stretchy and are sold in different colours. I buy on-line and the are delivered very fast. Now I sound like an advert dont mean to.

HildaW Fri 20-Apr-12 12:59:47

I'd like to wear Rohan.but they dont fit me..am too long in leg and the styles seem not to like my shape. However, husband is a real Rohan man....its a family joke that if you sliced him through the middle it would say 'Rohan'.

dahlia Fri 20-Apr-12 11:49:54

I bought myself a pair of jeans from M & S but then one day caught sight of myself in a shop mirror and looked so scruffy! I will try again, as jeans do look good and are so very practical, but perhaps it is worth spending a bit more on them to prevent the knees sagging and fading? I love chino's myself, very cool and comfortable for summer. Hate to see older men (over 50) wearing jeans, although my son-in-law who is 51 is extremely skinny and manages to look good in jeans every day. Again, I think it's the fit that matters whether for 15 or 55, male or female.

redamanthas Fri 20-Apr-12 10:04:00

I love my jeans too and wouldn't dream of giving them up. they're great in the garden or messing about with the grandchildren. But lovely dark denim with a smart jacket can take you almost anywhere. Even my 90 yr old cousin says its the one thing in her life she regrests.........not owning a pair of jeans, and yes I've tried to persuade her but she insists she's left it too latesmile

NannaAnna Thu 19-Apr-12 23:41:31

I've lived in jeans for the last 30 years (not the same pair tho') but am surprised that so many other gransnetters do too.
I remember my eldest daughter, aged about 7, saying to me one day: "Why can't you be like a proper mummy?" When I asked her what she meant, she informed me that "proper" mummies wore skirts!!
I'm sure most of the other mums around us wore jeans quite a lot too, but she wanted me in skirts for some strange reason!
Jeans are just so easy to pop on, and then you only have to think about what is weather or event appropriate for the top half! I guess I've never been sufficiently interested in clothes to spend time putting together top-to-toe outfits. Life's too short. Jeans are a no-brainer grin

yogagran Thu 19-Apr-12 22:55:16

Ooh yes golfina - Rohan trousers are fabulous. Comfortable, lots of pockets, strangely both cool and warm (if that makes sense!) brilliant for dog walking, if they should get wet they don't feel all clingy and horrid and they dry very quickly. Love them and love my jeans too. That reminds me - I'm going to be in the Covent Garden area next week and they have a Rohan shop . . . .

glammanana Thu 19-Apr-12 22:05:31

johanna yes you are pretty much on the ball re my size I would say a 12ish and I know when to cut down on the chocolate intake is when my button gets a wee bit tight,I have worn this style and cut of jeans for years and know what suits me I think I still live in the 60s but not to worry !!smile

golfina Thu 19-Apr-12 22:04:45

I think anyone should wear anything they like at any age. I am 70, I don't find jeans comfortable - I like Rohan roamers, lightweight and flexible and easy to wash and dry, for everyday wear - but surely we should be able to wear anything that's comfortable!

Anagram Thu 19-Apr-12 21:45:40

grin Yes!

johanna Thu 19-Apr-12 21:33:16

anagram
Try white jeans, at the height of summer of course, with a black T-shirt and black flatties.
You wil be amazed at how fabulous that looks!
Much better than looking like an extra who has just stepped out from the
herbaceous border...............

Anagram Thu 19-Apr-12 18:38:02

johanna, I do love your posts! smile

johanna Thu 19-Apr-12 18:30:38

I also live in jeans. Every day.
janan I am not worried about residential accommodation, I will not go there, I would rather take a pill.
Unless I have no say in it, e.g. a stroke, but my family has instructions!

glamma
Re. your make of jeans, is it safe to assume you are only a size ten, maybe twelve at the most?

Bye the way, we are all wearing a peasant cloth from the French City of Nimes.
Where it originated. Cloth from : de Nimes, which became Denim.

Sure you are all delighted with this piece of useless info. LOL

GoldenGran Thu 19-Apr-12 18:08:06

Not Your sunshine

nonnanna Thu 19-Apr-12 18:05:52

Did I get that wrong? Are they Not Your Daughter's Jeans or Not My Daughter's Jeans? Off to cook dinner now as I am becoming confused wine

nonnanna Thu 19-Apr-12 18:02:09

Awful thought....what if my jeans had been those expensive NYD jeans and I had split them? I've been thinking a bit more about this blog and decided that we are the first people to have worn jeans, my parents certainly didn't. So it figures that we will continue to wear them and there will be no age cut offs. Pardon the pun wink

Poesje Thu 19-Apr-12 17:59:52

I'm a new member - today. Interesting reading the Great Jeans Debate. I hate them - they are like a uniform. Had enough of that at school. That said, I have two pairs (M&S, £12 a throw!) and wear them (occasionally) when bowling, or in rough weather. Much prefer skirts - especially in summer - much cooler and more feminine.

glammanana Thu 19-Apr-12 17:40:49

Goldengran thanks for that nice to know if ever anyone wants to treat me to a present,but I think I can live without a pair if they are ssooooo expensive I have a few pairs of Levi's which I wear most days even dress them up for going out I am a fond buyer of "Jack Jones" tops which match up with my jeans and boots,but I may go and try a pair next time I am in Liverpool just to see if the "bum" will lift ? (doubtful face )

HildaW Thu 19-Apr-12 17:35:25

Hm......am a self confessed lardy arse and I wear jeans!
I buy the style that fits the best (boyfriend) and therefore feel the most comfortable. I would not wear anything skin tight, but thats just me. The only rule I think anyone large needs to abide by is that flesh generally needs to be covered (as Grandma said 'dont frighten the horses'). For example my large 'hockey player' legs have not been seen in public for many a decade whilst my less than offensive arms are on show in high summer in the garden or on holiday. My quite impressive chest gets an airing too come summer but with firm foundation to support it.

Braver women than I have fought long and hard for us to wear more or less what we want - my Grandmother never went without her girdle, stockings and iron perm whilst her mother wore a corset and skirts to her ankles whatever she was doing, so we should celebrate our freedon to choose what is appropriate to our lifestyle.

GoldenGran Thu 19-Apr-12 17:32:34

Glamma they do wonderful things for the bum! but are hideously expensive, I do have a pair and don't think I will able to afford another one in the near future but they do look good.

glammanana Thu 19-Apr-12 17:26:26

Soop As you know I have always worn Levi's and I buy them when I go over to Spain to visit friends I made when we lived there I buy them from the "Rastero's" (flea market) and can buy a really good pair of 501s for 6 euro's,I have also bought a few pairs in New York from a discount store which sadly was closing down and paid $10 for them,so I have enough for the next few years as long as I don't gain weight ? I have never tried "not my daughters" are they a good fit does anyone know and do they keep their shape as well as 501s do ?

sylvia1231 Thu 19-Apr-12 17:15:01

Nobody's too old or too young to wear jeans but they aren't very feminine.
I don't understand why the ladies like to look like men. There aren't many blokes around wearing dresses or skirts!
When I look at all the people in town jeans looks like the National Costume. Everyone, men and women, look like clones.
I think it depends on BMI. The fatties look terrible. Jeans are for good figures.