Gransnet forums

Chat

Have just put a wash on line.............

(65 Posts)
imjingl Mon 30-Apr-12 12:42:10

.........and realised I added water softener, fabric softener. But no detergent. Is only a duvet cover, sheet and pillowcases, plus a small tablecloth.

What d'ya think?

Looks clean. Smells ok.

It's been through water, hasn't it?!

Annika Fri 04-May-12 22:58:36

Many, many years ago a neighbour of ours asked if we knew what had happened to her washing, she had put out a line full before she went to town but on her return she discovered that all her washing was missing off the line. Mum and dad said they had no idea, but they had a look up and down the garden path, just if by some chance any of the items were there.
In the end we all gave up looking and drifted back into the house, 20 minutes or so later she was back , banging on the door, and she was in a foul mood. Her husband, while out gardening noticed that it had started to rain and he thought he would be helpful and bring in the washing. How nice you may well think, he will have earned some browine points here, but he let him selfdown by throwing the clean washing on to the floor of the garden shed !!
The washing was covered in dirt and mud, don't think he ever heard the last of that !!

merlotgran Fri 04-May-12 22:37:37

All this talk of washing takes me back to 1970 when we moved from the Isle of Wight to a remote village in Suffolk. An elderly neighbour invited me for coffee which I thought was very kind as I was only 23, with two small children and eager to get to know people. When she answered my knock at the door she asked if there was a dry outside. I asked her to repeat what she'd said and she asked again if there was a dry. I thought maybe she was expecting a delivery....a drier perhaps?? I had a quick look round and couldn't see anything that might need carrying indoors so I stepped into her kitchen taking care not to trip over the two laundry baskets placed by the door. I was handed a bag of pegs and instructed to help peg everything on the line 'before the dry goes'. The penny dropped. A dry meant a gentle breeze that would deal with the Monday wash. This was my first encounter with a lovely lady who would become a good friend and surrogate granny to my children. We moved from Suffolk to Cambridgeshire many years ago but I think of her every time I peg out a line of washing.

Annika Fri 04-May-12 18:31:29

I have just brought my washing in only to find that the birds have done a woopsie all over my trousers, why mine , why not his in doors ? wink

Butternut Fri 04-May-12 18:16:16

Ta! smile

Greatnan Fri 04-May-12 18:15:17

I am sure it will be a wonderful wedding and you will wonder what you were worrying about.

Butternut Fri 04-May-12 18:12:52

I actually thought it was just going to be a simple country wedding. grin

Butternut Fri 04-May-12 18:11:33

grin gn!

Time line example: Sunday to Sunday, 55 guests, pick-up and drop offs, gite accommodation, civil wedding one day, church and Abbey (in another town) another day , everyone back to my place, catering, party, music, decorations ............. all kinds of deliveries, etc. etc. etc. Trying to make it all come together [scream emoticon]!

Greatnan Fri 04-May-12 18:03:11

What is a time line, Butter? (I do fancy a few days in France, but I am already here!)

Butternut Fri 04-May-12 18:00:50

Talking of lines, I have just done the 10th time-line over a whole week - I kid you not - for the upcoming wedding. It's still crap a mess - so any of you lot with your OCD qualities want a brief break in France for a couple of days to help straighten it out you're very welcome!! [scream emoticon]

Annobel Fri 04-May-12 17:18:57

A good way to iron the duvet cover too, Greatnan - if you are so inclined. I save up the ironing until I have nothing to wear and I have no preferences about the order in which I peg out the washing, apart from pairing up socks. Lakeland have nifty little gizmos for keeping socks together in the wash and they hook onto the washing line too. Not as well reviewed as the old model which I have.

www.lakeland.co.uk/22897/20-Lakeland-Sock-Mates

Greatnan Fri 04-May-12 17:06:42

I feel better - I thought I was the maddest member! Like Bags, I just peg things in any order and my daughter tuts and rearranges them but I think she just wants to cut down on ironing.
I can't remember when I last ironed anything, but the time has come to get out my cotton trousers so I will have to iron them. I iron on my bed, as I haven't got room for an ironing board. I just put a thick towel on the duvet and kneel down at the foot of the bed. O.K. so I am the maddest member!

Bags Fri 04-May-12 16:58:39

I should let you lot loose on DH. He thinks I'm being an OTT Fusspot if I ask him to wipe his tea rings off the kitchen counter!! I keep telling him You think I'm fussy? You ain't seen nothin' yet.

soop Fri 04-May-12 16:27:09

IT appears that Bags is saner than us lot! wink

Bags Fri 04-May-12 16:21:58

I don't think I can join the washing line ocd club. One sock of a pair might be at one end of the line and the other at the far end (DD always wears odd socks anyway, so it hardly matters. I just pair them up any old how). I just hang things up in the order they come out of the basket. Sheets are pegged at the corners so that there isn't a crease from being over the line, and so that they billow out like spinnaker sails. I used to peg out nappies all in a line together, linked at the corners, but that was probably more to do with their coming out of the wash together than anything else.

jeni Fri 04-May-12 15:53:58

I always colour match my pegs. I also always peg nightdresses at the one end of the line. They then just brush the lavender bush which makes them smell nice.

nanachrissy Fri 04-May-12 15:45:52

My washing line has to be immaculate! Sheets have to be exactly in half and perfectly smooth before I carefully place the pegs at each end, and if it's too windy and messes them up I get quite grumpy! angry

And you all know that's not a bit like me! wink [angelic emoticon]

grannyactivist Fri 04-May-12 12:44:36

My washing line OCD relates to how things are placed on the washing line! Pegs have to in the right places for each garment/item or I can't bear to look.

soop Fri 04-May-12 12:36:47

Oldgreymare That makes two of us...anymore GN's prepared to join the silly club? grin

Oldgreymare Fri 04-May-12 08:42:03

Greatnan sadly I didn't resist temptation, felt-tip pens arranged as per a rainbow but with all the shades of each colour blended from dark to light.... the ONLY time I enjoyed clearing away after the DSs.... Oh dear blush

Greatnan Fri 04-May-12 06:46:39

OGM - that takes me back to my childhood when I got a large box of paints and, not being much of an artist, got great pleasure in just grading them from white through to black. My daughters had mammoth packs of felt tips and I used to long to put them in order for them - neither of them has inherited my OCD and they were quite happy to have them kept in random order

Oldgreymare Thu 03-May-12 21:31:56

Soop I usually use wooden pegs, but when on holiday in a friend's villa in Spain (plastic pegs provided) I started, in matched pairs of course, with my favourite colour (blue) then lilacs through to pinks. I alwas hoped I wouldn't have to use green (an unlucky colour hmm)!
NOW that IS weird! grin

imjingl Thu 03-May-12 16:45:27

It ws a very funny foot-in-mouth though. grin

imjingl Thu 03-May-12 16:44:47

It's too late Glass. You've said it now.

We know you meant it what you meant. hmm

glassortwo Thu 03-May-12 16:29:42

Oh fee sorry!!! I didnt mean your smalls were large , blush just re read your post.

glassortwo Thu 03-May-12 16:28:01

Its always the largest item on the washing line that gets pooped on.