Gransnet forums

Chat

Free day.

(15 Posts)
glassortwo Fri 29-Jun-12 11:12:04

Well if we had web cam you would all see me still sat here in my PJ's and wondering what to do with myself! I have the day free from childminding, DD has taken the family to Flamingo Land as they are off school on an Inset day.

Now do I shake myself and get out in the rain and sort some of the holiday preparations left to do or do I stay in make another cup of tea and just lay around.

When I cant get out because of family commitments there is always lots that I want to do but this morning I just cant push myself to move! shock

jeni Fri 29-Jun-12 11:18:43

I'm the same, except I'm dressed. So far, I've had a delivery come, the man has been to service my stairlift and my hairdresser has been and done my hair! I'm now waiting for my cleaner to come and she will be followed by her husband Gary the gardner.
I do enjoy my nice peaceful quiet free days like today!confused

glassortwo Fri 29-Jun-12 11:34:24

At least you have achieved a few things this morning jeni I have done nothing, right I am going to galvanise my self.....1 more cup of tea and I am off out the sun has come out but not for long I think its very watery. I have spent some lots money on books on Amazon for DGC .....see what happens when your bored hmm

susiecb Fri 29-Jun-12 11:34:38

I'm free today too. I've tried doing some Italian conversation but can't concentrate. Am supposed to wriring a new short story and ditto. Supposed to play 9 holes of golf this pm but its windy....... have anther coffee i think.

glammanana Fri 29-Jun-12 11:39:23

Why do we always feel guilty when we have a day off ??

susiecb Fri 29-Jun-12 11:42:51

Don't know but we do - ur work ethic is strong.

glassortwo Fri 29-Jun-12 11:43:21

It does not happen very often but I do feel guilty, I should have planned my day yesterday then I would have had a plan of action and not been dragged into being lazy.

jeni Fri 29-Jun-12 11:57:10

I SHOULD be reading my files for Wednesday. Or taking back a pair of jeans to m&s.
But
I really cba as dd says!

GoldenGran Fri 29-Jun-12 12:10:09

Enjoy it glass it doesn't happen very often. I think it really is ok to have a day when we are not doing tasks and we don't have an agenda, enjoy yourself. brewcupcake

Greatnan Fri 29-Jun-12 12:17:23

I have every day off and I never feel guilty! This morning, I had to take my laptop to the shop as the left-click button had stopped working. I left it with them and went to explore a whole new area of tiny villages and farms. It was lovely and sunny and I parked under some treees and had just a one hour walk through the woods.
I had to buy a cordless mouse for €52 as the button could not be repaired, but it was a cheap laptop, about £300 and I have used it virtually every day for three years. I am just getting used to using the mouse - it is quicker than the pad.

Now I am going to sit out on the balcony, smell the new mown hay, listen to the birdsong and read my new Diane Chamberlain novel.

Fight that guilt, ladies - men don't seem to suffer much from it.

flowerfriend Fri 29-Jun-12 12:52:01

My grand-mother brought me up and her people where old-fashioned chapel folk and the work ethic was certainly very strong and although I have been retired for over twelve years I often feel compelled to find a useful task to occupy some of my day when I would prefer to just give in and read my book. I do eventually settle to a book or some other relaxing occupation. But that need to be productive in some way can be irksome.

nanaej Fri 29-Jun-12 13:11:13

I can waste oodles of time!! But today has been busy as I negotiated some work yesterday and although it does not begin until September I am motivated to get on and start planning for the job!

numberplease Fri 29-Jun-12 15:39:54

I have a day off from child minding next Tuesday, and I won`t feel the slightest bit guilty about lazing it away!

Annika Fri 29-Jun-12 16:20:56

numberplease grin

Greatnan Fri 29-Jun-12 17:00:08

I wouldn't like anyone to think I was slobbing about in pyjamas with dirty pots in the sink! I get up at 6 a.m., have a bath and get dressed, make my porridge and tea, straighten my bed, wash the pots, wash my 'smalls' and tee shirt by hand and do any housework that needs doing. Because it is now beginning to get hot by noon, I have been starting my walk at 8. a.m. for two or three hours, then home for lunch and an afternoon of reading, TV/radio,surfing, and even dozing.
I suffer from mild OCD, so there is no way I could ignore any dust, fingermarks, etc. but when you live alone, with no pets or garden, in a very small flat it is very easy to keep it ship-shape at all times with very little effort.