Gransnet forums

Chat

Melinda Gates and contraception.

(23 Posts)
whenim64 Sat 14-Jul-12 08:58:38

Ariadne flowers

JessM Sat 14-Jul-12 08:04:49

I agree I'm afraid Joan - its an empire of evil. It ruled the western world for a few centuries and is still exercising power over the lives of many.

Ariadne Sat 14-Jul-12 05:25:07

Some of you know of my involvement with Rotary International; we have been working for over 30 years (with WHO) towards the eradication of polio. Bill Gates turned up at a conference in San Diego a few years ago - we didn't know he would be there - and donated $2.5 million, from the Foundation, on top of the $2m he'd already donated. It was a brilliant moment! He is so unassuming.

Good, as you say, Greatnan, to see the rich actually doing something.

(We, RI that is, we're challenged to match the last sum. And we did! But that's another story!)

Joan Fri 13-Jul-12 23:09:12

Typical - trust bloody religion to cause all the misery of unprotected sex. Sorry, but IMO those men in long frocks in the Vatican are truly evil.

And I'm officially RC though I gave it up long ago.

Melinda Gates is terrific, using her wealth like that.

POGS Fri 13-Jul-12 20:49:41

Really good news. This has been covered on T.V. and I was pleased to see the government have been generous on this with her. Can't remember how many millions Britain has provided.

The sight of the poor girls and women, lined up in hospital wards and the death of many during birth was a reminder of what woman and girls have to suffer in many countries. We may have our problems but I guess we should be greatful.

JessM Fri 13-Jul-12 19:50:22

ah yes, of course You are on good form today annobel
Did I ever tell you folk about the time I was recounting a story to my mother about one of my problem pupils that had been unsuccessful on a recruiting day in the army...
First you need to know that my mother was an MG counsellor and qualified sex therapist .... ok....
"Apparently the sergeant major said <we don't want this one, he's a w****er> - poor boy"
My mother looked puzzled and then asked "How did he know?"

Annobel Fri 13-Jul-12 19:01:29

More especially 'merchant bankers', *gracesmum'.

vampirequeen Fri 13-Jul-12 19:01:14

My ex brother in law worked in the City and was definately a banker hence he's an ex brother in law smile

gracesmum Fri 13-Jul-12 18:58:26

Am I alone in thinking that "bankers" is Cockney rhyming slang? grin

Greatnan Fri 13-Jul-12 13:02:54

I had to read that a few times, Jeni, until I realised you were talking about 'bankers' as in flood defences!

jeni Fri 13-Jul-12 12:39:25

The only bankers that are any use ate the ones that contain the water where it should be! And even those seem pretty useless!

soop Fri 13-Jul-12 12:29:08

Isn't is refreshing to hear that a fortune, in the right hands, can make a world of difference to the lives of countless under-privileged and well-derving people. Don't get me started on the bloody bankers!

vampirequeen Fri 13-Jul-12 12:28:17

The Vatican would never agree to it. They're a band of old men who have never lived in the real world. They went from school to seminary.

There is a group of Sisters who nurse AIDS victims across Africa. They realised that the men were going away to work and whilst away using prostitutes, many of whom were HIV positive. When the men came home they had sex with their wives and passed the virus on. The wives then contracted the virus and passed it to their unborn children. The Sisters pleaded with the Vatican to remove the condom ban because it would save so much suffering. The old men at the Vatican took no notice of the Sisters descriptions of the suffering that would be so easy to prevent. Their verdict....tell the men not to sleep with anyone outside of marriage.

Whether you think the behaviour of the men is right or wrong, it's not going to change. So the choice is allow condoms or condemn innocent women and children to die a slow horrific death.

I'm an RC but I can see the heartlessness of maintaining dogma at the cost of human suffering.

I should say that this dogma is only maintained in the developing world. I'm an RC convert. When I discussed it with the priest I told him that I wasn't willing to have more children as the two that I had would suffer due to our financial status. The priest told me that it was up to my conscience. If I could honestly say that my two children would suffer if I had anymore then it was OK to limit the size of my family. However in the developing world they force these poor women to have baby after baby then watch them suffer and even die. Also these women die young exhausted by pregnancy and childbirth.

I hope the Gates money will bring help to those in need but I fear until the Vatican gives permission many will not be convinced.

Butternut Fri 13-Jul-12 11:59:10

It is marvellous to hear of a woman of such good fortune who uses it to enhance the lives of other women. She has my deepest admiration.

Anagram Fri 13-Jul-12 10:36:48

Getting the ban rescinded would probably be the best thing that could be done, both for women and for the world generally. What a brave and sensible woman!

Annobel Fri 13-Jul-12 09:48:01

It's great to know that Bill and Melinda Gates use their money for the good of humanity. Greedy bankers, take note....

nanaej Fri 13-Jul-12 09:43:54

She sounds like a clever and thoughtful person and doing some very good work..well done her!

jeni Fri 13-Jul-12 08:49:22

I was impressed.she talked sense!

AlieOxon Fri 13-Jul-12 08:48:55

I found myself actually agreeing with David Cameron on this! That's a first!
This is great.

I'm waiting for the backlash though

Notsogrand Fri 13-Jul-12 08:30:00

Good for her!

Bags Fri 13-Jul-12 08:29:05

Go Melinda, indeed! Good on you! Now crank up the pressure if you can. You'll get lots of support from all but die-hards.

JessM Fri 13-Jul-12 08:15:52

Go Melinda - if any woman has ever done some much good by marrying well then I would like to hear about her!

Greatnan Fri 13-Jul-12 07:53:52

Melinda Gates is a practising catholic but also dedicated to helping women around the world. After much heart-searching, she has publicly declared that the ban on contraception is killing women and must be rescinded.
She and Bill have given billions to charity via their Foundation, but this could be one of the most important contributions to women's health she has ever made.