Gransnet forums

Chat

Shops

(23 Posts)
Nonu Tue 17-Jul-12 12:18:47

I like m/s , I know a lot of don"t , so what are your favourite shops ? One of mine is Debenhams in fact it the only department store we have here, no Co-op, no nothing . boo hoo

gracesmum Tue 17-Jul-12 12:23:00

John Lewis, John Lewis, John Lewis!! Oh and White Company, Neals Yard remedies, Neal's Yard Dairy and also I like independent shops often in little market towns selling quirky things (and expensive frocks) you don't see anywhere else! e.g. Katie Kerr in Corbridge.

Nonu Tue 17-Jul-12 12:31:54

You are so lucky we don"t have any of those shops . Rumour has it though they may be a J.L. opened in the future so fingers crossed . Re Neals yard my DD has started selling it to her friends so am able to get it from her , it"s super although dare I say it a Tad on the expensive side envy

glammanana Tue 17-Jul-12 12:38:02

I shop J.Lewis for most things at the moment I am collecting their Denby Ware for DS1 and his partner for their xmas box,I only buy it when they have their 25% sale on and up to now I have a nice ccollection for them.I like the shops in Cavern Walks in Liverpool all the clothes are too small for me but what the heck !

feetlebaum Tue 17-Jul-12 12:43:37

I shop on-line at John Lewis... recent(-ish) purchases include tumble dryer and fridge - great because they take the old one away for a fixed fee!

I also have a John Lewis telephone system - wireless with three handsets.

harrigran Tue 17-Jul-12 14:30:12

John Lewis

Annobel Tue 17-Jul-12 14:31:43

Amazon and Ebay as well as John Lewis.

vampirequeen Tue 17-Jul-12 15:14:13

Amazon and Ebay esp. Ebay. Just bought a lovely leather handbag (£100 in John Lewis ..I always check lol) for £20. Admittedly it's last year's model but who is going to notice. I end up with a well made, soft leather bag at a fraction of the price it cost new.

Ariadne Tue 17-Jul-12 16:03:15

Amazon; East; Monsoon; River Island; M&S (still..) Sainsbury's (Tu) and Matalan from time to time. Oh, and I love eBay, especially for the sort of Indian type stuff.

numberplease Tue 17-Jul-12 16:44:14

Amazon for books, perfume and music, Bonmarche for my clothes, I can shop in there without being made to feel fat, frumpy and inferior like when I go into Evans, which is very rarely.

Nonu Tue 17-Jul-12 17:15:18

Lord . Vampirequeen , you"re jammy shock

jeni Tue 17-Jul-12 17:58:45

J.l.

Nonu Tue 17-Jul-12 18:08:25

J.I ? don"Tknow of them

jeni Tue 17-Jul-12 18:38:43

J.L!

Nonu Tue 17-Jul-12 19:17:37

Oh yes !

yogagran Tue 17-Jul-12 21:00:51

What about Lakeland.....

Annobel Tue 17-Jul-12 21:41:20

Yes! I haunt the place and usually come out with something I hadn't intended to buy.

numberplease Tue 17-Jul-12 21:50:29

We live over 30 miles from any decent shopping centres, and as hubby doesn`t like going out anywhere, particularly shopping, I rarely see shops other than in Boston, and we don`t have that many.

gracesmum Wed 18-Jul-12 08:10:01

Lakeland are not so much a shop, more of an addiction. You know, you buy one of those eggpoachery things and the next thing you know you've bought half the catalogue. Be very afraid! Just say NO!grin

whenim64 Wed 18-Jul-12 08:53:52

I can ever say no in Lakeland! There are so any things in there I never knew I needed! grin

nanaej Wed 18-Jul-12 09:00:04

I have just rediscovered Tupperware!! I am turning into my mother! Like Lakeland you did not know you needed it until you saw it!!! Shaker maker..why did I buy that???

yogagran Wed 18-Jul-12 10:16:12

I didn't know that Tupperware was still around, is it still only available from the "party" system?

Mamie Wed 18-Jul-12 10:34:21

As soon as we land in the UK, I head straight for JL, Lakeland, M and S, Boots and Waterstones. There will always be several Amazon parcels waiting at our daughter's house. Waitrose is just heavenly and is always our last stop before the ferry on our way home. OH goes to B and Q (which doesn't seem as good as it used to, but is better than anything here) and we always have lots of stuff from garden centres too.
It makes me laugh when people think that if you live abroad you don't contribute to the UK economy.