Gransnet forums

Chat

Olympics

(425 Posts)
Nonu Fri 27-Jul-12 16:25:19

Hello all , don"t know if this has been covered and I missed it , who do you think will light flame tonight ? Steve Redgrave for me , bit short notice I know

Anagram Mon 13-Aug-12 12:54:57

'Foghorn madness' was how Brand described it!

Anagram Mon 13-Aug-12 12:52:31

I watched it on whichever night it was on, it was so funny, but Russell Brand kept doing wide-eyed looks at the camera and was generally loving himself so much that it detracted from the point he was trying to make. I must admit Peter Hitchens came over as 'disgusted of Frinton-on-Sea' and kept insisting that locking up all drug users (not just dealers) was the answer to Britain's drug problem!

Annobel Mon 13-Aug-12 12:42:47

That's Peter Hitchens for you. There was a hilarious encounter between him and Russell Brand on Newsnight the other night. RB said he was going to kiss him! But apparently this did not happen. Unsurprisingly.

hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

nanaej Mon 13-Aug-12 12:02:24

soop grin

soop Mon 13-Aug-12 11:57:25

nanaej Silly Old Twit! Must have his head screwed on arse about face. grin

Anagram Mon 13-Aug-12 11:50:49

And we've still got the flag flag flags ! smile

nanaej Mon 13-Aug-12 11:50:34

soop grin
Did you hear this miserable old g*t of a dinosaur on Radio 4s Today this morning?

^But columnist Peter Hitchens criticised what he called a "new Britain".
He told James Naughtie: "We forget the old monarchist Christian country that used to be and we become funky rock music drug-taking Britain."^

Wher has he been all during the Olympics to say nothing of the Jubilee???

soop Mon 13-Aug-12 11:37:01

Loved to see the joy on so many faces at the closing ceremony. I'm a big fan of Annie Lennox. Victoria left me cold [but she's not going to lose sleep over that.] Would have enjoyed much more of 'Queen'. Felt tearful as the wonderful flame faded. I wasn't one of the 'can't wait for the Olympics' brigade. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed the entire event. WELL DONE to every person who contributed to a spectacular games. I'm proud to be British flag flag flag flag flag flag flag flag smile smile smile smile

Butternut Mon 13-Aug-12 09:24:52

(I think) Annie Lennox sang the theme tune to a recent Dracula movie. Perhaps that whole scene was to appeal to those less into pop and more into goth. grin

nanaej Mon 13-Aug-12 09:21:02

Apparently she was , for some reason, supposed to reflect Bram Stoker's dracula genre!!! However am big Annie fan so enjoyed whatever she was supposed to be. Maybe a link to the popular twilight/ Buffy stuff that is so popular? I enjoyed the party atmosphere!
My thoughts are the whole thing was aimed at popular culture enthusiasts as they are, generally, also the younger people who are sports participants.

JessM Mon 13-Aug-12 09:10:10

Was it the real Victoria Beckham or did she send her zombie double?

Absolutely - thankfully no disasters. Security forces must be heaving the biggest ever sigh of relief this morning, as should we all.

whenim64 Mon 13-Aug-12 08:34:17

I found much of it enjoyable and was pleased when it livened up, although I'm not a Jesse J fan. It did reference much of our popular culture, and I was also puzzled about Annie Lennox, who was apparently the gothic figurehead of a ghost galleon.

I really got excited to see all the Spice Girls and Take That. They have been a big part of my daughters' teenage years and we spent many an hour taking them to and from concerts.

Most of all, I'm relieved it went off without any disasters, and to see all those happy faces having a great time was fantastic.

PRINTMISS Mon 13-Aug-12 08:33:30

I Think all praise to the organisers of the games, getting everyone to be so enthusiastic, - and where on earth did they rehearse some of those spectacular scenes? The crowds obviously enjoyed themselves, and we did it our way. Great to be British. Still feeling the effects of a really late (for me) night, but worth it.

JessM Mon 13-Aug-12 07:32:22

Veterans games here we come then Gally.
Yes I was proud to be British too - not because of the sport, but because of the project management and efficiency with everything happening like clockwork and all those people - paid, volunteers and "pressed men" (police and army who were sent there to help), working so smoothly together.

Butternut Mon 13-Aug-12 07:27:33

I'm inclined to agree, gally. I thought the stage-craft was excellent and the visual impact very good indeed, but otherwise the 'party' atmosphere didn't do it for me - but was clearly a hit with most of the participants. What was the whole Annie Lennox thing about? Is Dracula part of our heritage? confused

Fab. Games though!

Gally Mon 13-Aug-12 02:36:11

I got the impression - and I'm sure half the world will too- that the UK is just one big Pop Party with a few so-called Celebs thrown in for good measure. Is George Michael a good representative of 'us'?? It was great for all the Olympic participants to let their hair down and have a rollicking good evening and relax, but I do wonder what others think. I only saw bits and pieces of the closing ceremony, so perhaps I haven't got the whole picture? Please tell me I am wrong grin. The actual Games were totally magnificent and I was so proud to be British. When I come back in another life I am definitely taking up rowing - I loved the syncronised swimming too, but I don't like getting my head wet, so that's out!

crimson Mon 13-Aug-12 00:23:28

Closing ceremony thing didn't work for me, but cried when the flame went out. Been a wonderful two weeks. [Kaiser Chiefs were good; and Eric... te dum tedumtedumtedum.....]

nanaej Mon 13-Aug-12 00:14:43

I loved the cauldron and the phoenix theme as good! My Generation to end it was clever..though The Who are my generation rather than the athletes grin

POGS Mon 13-Aug-12 00:03:35

Still going nanej. Wasn't the flame and Darcy Bussel lovely, or am I getting soppy in my old age.

nanaej Sun 12-Aug-12 23:54:06

No! It's been a party for the athletes and great fun, lively and youthful despite so many old codgers singing! flaggrinflag

GoldenGran Sun 12-Aug-12 23:40:41

i agree with number,grim,but the athletes are having a ball. Loved Eric Idle.Good Night.

POGS Sun 12-Aug-12 23:34:55

Never. Pour another one!

numberplease Sun 12-Aug-12 23:30:14

Eric Idle brightened it up a bit, and the official closing is good. Maybe I`m an old misery!

POGS Sun 12-Aug-12 23:22:32

They wanted a party!

The athletes look like they are having fun!.

Perhaps a bit lacking but they had a hell of a contest to compete with did they not with the opening ceremony.

Never mind number.

numberplease Sun 12-Aug-12 23:07:58

Well, whereas I loved the opening ceremony, the closing one is AWFUL!!