Gransnet forums

Chat

Jilly Cooper

(98 Posts)
Nonu Sat 18-Aug-12 12:50:16

Oh Blimey , she"s opened up a can of worms !!! grin

FlicketyB Tue 12-Feb-13 17:34:49

What ever I think of her and her books I fully agree with her views on this subject. As I was posting a letter this morning an elderly and not very fit lady walked past with 2 under fives.She looked exhausted. My immediate re-action was, she is far too old to be coping with childminding toddlers no matter how much she loves them. They were too young to be in nursery or school so it clearly wasnt a half term week assignment.

Ronni Mon 11-Feb-13 20:57:07

Sounds just like my daughter! I do the school run, collect the 3 gs after school, feed them 2 nights a week, babysit, take them on long weekends but she STILL
expects me to drop everything to help out,no matter what my arrangements are, and if I don't, I get the silent treatment!

nightowl Sun 19-Aug-12 18:36:41

No I get the feeling they are trying to keep their whole existence a secret. I don't blame them, I'd want to keep it a secret if I lived in such a beautiful area envy Are there any gransnetters from there I wonder?

merlotgran Sun 19-Aug-12 18:31:36

You don't hear many Cumberland accents on TV do you? Apart from one half of the Hairy Bikers I can't think of anyone else hmm

merlotgran Sun 19-Aug-12 18:29:36

smile nightowl . Of course but sometimes I can't help hearing her voice in my head when I read something charming like petallus' poem.

nightowl Sun 19-Aug-12 18:21:08

I love your poem petallus. Very astute. But merlot, wouldn't she have had a Cumberland accent rather than a Pam Ayres one smile

Nonu Sun 19-Aug-12 18:15:37

Bags terminology flower, terminology .

Annobel Sun 19-Aug-12 18:07:04

petallus - lovely poem. I really like the way you work in the references to Ww's poems.

Nonu Sun 19-Aug-12 18:03:38

Madam, as my DG"S like to say to me , you are not being obstrepulous by any chance ,phew can"t believe it grin

johanna Sun 19-Aug-12 17:57:24

That is fabulous petallus

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 17:57:10

no double entendre there, so don't dare accuse me, you minx!

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 17:56:36

nonu, I don,t 'take' any newspapers.

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 17:55:41

I'd use an article in a widely read newspaper to promote a book too. Wouldn,t anyone?

Nonu Sun 19-Aug-12 17:55:24

Didn"t know u take the DM !! grin

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 17:54:46

Book? What book?

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 17:54:26

And she sounds like a nice gran.

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 17:53:14

Well, I read the JC article in the DM and I was so interested in reading what she was saying about grandparenting that I didn't notice (at least not enough to remember if I did) that she was promoting a book.

Don't know what that says about me, but maybe something like not giving a damn what or who someone's parents were, just taking them on face value. I took her books on face value too (I know one isn't supposed to judge a book by its cover but it's difficult not to sometimes) and didn't read them.

Anyway. My conclusion?

She writes well.

Nonu Sun 19-Aug-12 17:47:32

That is quite charming Petallus , you should be proud , wish I could write poetry smile

merlotgran Sun 19-Aug-12 17:42:35

I like that, petallus I do hope you won't be offended if I say I read it with a Pam Ayres accent smile

petallus Sun 19-Aug-12 17:38:28

Oh dear, I know I'm indulging myself. I think I had to write it to the specifications of a sonnet or something.

But shows I was thinking along these lines some years ago.

To Wordsworth from his Maid

Oh how I wish that I could write a poem
about the beauty of the countryside
I'd wander lonely as a cloud of feathers
or stand upon a bridge at morning time
I'd marvel at a host of yellow flowers
all dancing in the mellow evening air
then take my little notebook bound in leather
and scribble down my thoughts about the weather
and then I'd stroll back home and write a poem
before I bathed and dressed myself for tea
if only I were master here or mistress
instead of maid, all day on bended knee
No time for me to pause to write a poem
I'm far too busy looking after thee

Ella46 Sun 19-Aug-12 17:37:22

You beat me then Ana smile

Nonu Sun 19-Aug-12 17:36:28

Why did the D.M give her space then ?

Ella46 Sun 19-Aug-12 17:36:04

That doesn't mean JC isn't entitled to her opinion about grandparenting confused

Anagram Sun 19-Aug-12 17:34:27

Jilly Cooper may be middle class but she's hardly landed gentry, and as merlot says, she worked her way up as a journalist and doesn't appear to have had a huge inheritance to fall back on. So what if she has a book to promote - she's not advocating her way of grandparenting (or not!), just giving her view.

petallus Sun 19-Aug-12 17:32:53

Wonder how many of them were women though.