Gransnet forums

Chat

Live webchat with Jenny Eclair, Thursday 27 September 10-11am

(65 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 21-Sep-12 18:22:52

We're delighted that Jenny Eclair - ex-Loose Woman, novelist, Perrier winner and survivor of I'm A Celebrity - is joining us for a live webchat on Thursday 27 September. Jenny has a new book out (Love, Death and Vanilla Slices) and is about to embark on a nationwide stand-up tour, something she says will give her enormous pleasure and varicose veins.
Do ask a question.

abfab Thu 27-Sep-12 10:03:49

Have you ever done any straight acting? Would you like to? Are there the roles for older women?

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:04:42

beabop

I saw on twitter last night that you said you got fired from Loose Women. What happened? I saw you a couple of times and thought you were very good but i don't get to watch very often

Hahahaha, yes, they said it was my decision- but actually it wasn't, they didn't renew my contract and I was gutted, it was a dead cushy job with a decent income ( but less than people would expect). It was near my house and v convenient -oh well their loss, the fools, I think I was an odd fit - anyway, i think getting sacked is a good kick up the bum sometimes and it forces you to be more creative

Elephantgran Thu 27-Sep-12 10:06:01

I saw on your blog that you bought a walnut with and Adam and Eve inside for your husband's birthday. How did that go down?

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:07:35

abfab

Have you ever done any straight acting? Would you like to? Are there the roles for older women?

Yes, I HAVE, did Killing of Sister George, Steaming and some hybrid West End shows that were part acting part rubbish- Mums The Word being one of them- needed to be much harder hitting for the West End. Ive also written several plays, the last being The Andy Warhol Syndrome which I toured and performed for Radio 4. I would like to do more straight acting, i want to be a MUm in the Inbetweeners, if there arent any roles, i will have to write my own grrrrr

misterigran Thu 27-Sep-12 10:08:16

I've just bought a copy of your book and I was slightly thrown by the fact you called one of your characters Jean Collins. Every time I read it I think "Joan Collins is in a coma?!"

Was this deliberate?

glassortwo Thu 27-Sep-12 10:09:08

Hi Jenny I think you will be a miss on Loose Women sadI enjoyed the way you shook things up and put a different spin on the discussions.

tidymind Thu 27-Sep-12 10:10:03

How long does it take you to write an entire standup show? Isn't the thought of keeping everyone laughing for an hour or whatever completely terrifying?

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:10:51

NfkDumpling

I would like to ask if, being interviewed on Gransnet, being a self confessed geriatric and a Grumpy Old Woman - are you a secret Gransnetter?

I thought by LAW you had to be a nanna and Im not- but now I ve snooped round the offices I shall be snooping round the site, I have to be careful with the internet and my addictive personality, I have to ration my twitter/browsing minutes- however i think the whole thing does make one feel less lonely, twitter is great when you're on the road and feeling like you're the last person awake in a Holiday Inn

upwardsandonwards Thu 27-Sep-12 10:11:56

Where does the name Eclair come from?

fabulouse Thu 27-Sep-12 10:13:21

Some female comics have complained about the circuit being very mysoginistic. Have you found that?

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:15:03

Ana

I love you on TV - I really like your sense of humour! But when I saw your live show on tour I was a bit taken aback by your liberal use of one or two good old Anglo-Saxon words which wouldn't be considered suitable for programmes like Loose Women! Is that the real you, or is it just done for effect and/or to attract a wider audience?

Im a terrible swearer, I do it because Im showing off and it makes me laugh, I also have no trouble with words some people find offensive, however i believe there is a difference between performing live for adults and being on telly when children can be watching. I can be polite jenny and I can be rude jenny, mostly I'm a mix.I don't do it to attract a bigger audience, I think if anything it might put people off - hmm thinks more about swearing? Realises i cant help it !

criminan Thu 27-Sep-12 10:16:42

Do you make a virtue of your age in your comedy? Is getting older funny?

Is the world ready, d'you think, for funny women in their 50s? And WHY AREN'T THERE MORE?

That's four questions, but anyway.

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:17:02

misterigran

I've just bought a copy of your book and I was slightly thrown by the fact you called one of your characters Jean Collins. Every time I read it I think "Joan Collins is in a coma?!"

Was this deliberate?

Not deliberate but I do reference the similarity in the book, how just one letter divides the two women - and how polar oppostite their lives are- weirdly Ive had a few real life Jean Collins contact me on twitter, saying it freaked them out to read they were in a coma!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Sep-12 10:17:15

A question from our Facebook page:

Lucy Zelazowski: Morning! Jenny do you miss doing stand-up? & what your favourite sandwich?

fadedbeauty Thu 27-Sep-12 10:20:09

Is it true you built your own house? (I did too - not yours, mine.) How was it for you?

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:21:21

Greatnan

I enjoy all your TV and radio appearances, Jenny. Were you worried about the constant portrayal of men in a bad light on Loose Women? Many people remarked that if a panel of men were as critical of women they would be in deep trouble! It made me laugh, but also feel rather guilty.

I was very keen not to play it that way, i hope I didn't, I have been with the same man for thirty years and he's far too good for me. I hope I managed to get that across whenever possible, I find the slagging off of men lazy and dull, although on stage I will sometimes fire something across the bows, Ive got some new material about how unobservant men are generally and I think it gets a big reaction because its true. I generally reckon that we are wired slightly differently but i think respect is due on both sides. I also think my generation of women are more suspicious of men than we need be, I went to an all girls grammar school and it took me a long time to realise its ok to have boys as friends- waffling now!

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:22:48

JO4

I just googled to see who this is.

I haven't got a question.

have a look at my website, you will learn all and more than you need to know!

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:24:57

minette

What was it like being in Grumpy Old Women? I imagine rather like being on Gransnet but on the telly. I do love a good rant

I had the time of my life doing the live shows, we travelled round the Uk and toured Australia, the show was translated into Finnish and Icelandic so we got to go over there to see foreign female comics perform our words- which was ace.
The telly prog hit such a nerve it was great to be part of this battalion of women that form the back bone of the country, we are currently in talks about a third touring show poss for next year

sofasogood Thu 27-Sep-12 10:25:09

You have a distinctive, slightly punky look. Do you think that's more important for women comedians than men? (I am also thinking of Sarah Millican and her cardis.) Would you still be able to be funny if you dressed like Cheryl Cole?

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:26:49

ellasgranny

I saw you on Masterchef recently. Were you disappointed not to make it further in the competition?

No, to be honest, I'm a liability in the kitchen, it was an utter cheek to even have a go, Ive barely cooked since- in some respects it was a relief for once and for all to realise i dont like it very much and Im not very good at it, however I do a fab hefty salad and my actual diet is quite healthy, I just dont have the cooking gene

granIT Thu 27-Sep-12 10:29:18

You seem like a bundle of energy. Is it more difficult to summon that up as you get older? Or do you just wake up fizzing and bubbling?

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:29:50

CariGransnet

A question from our Facebook page:

Lucy Zelazowski: Morning! Jenny do you miss doing stand-up? & what your favourite sandwich?

Baclk on tour on Saturday- if you happen to be in Leeds, after that there are a further 39 dates of 'Eclairious' all around the country, all details on my website

as for my favourite sandwich I like the Pret bacon and scrambled egg if I'm in town of a morning and at home I will pile anything in, though i try and avoid bread as much as poss as I get a bit bloaty- at the moment I'm v big on goats cheese, beetroot and pine nuts, with spinach- a nice sturdy leaf which will withstand a heart filling

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:32:51

firenze

Do you think you can train yourself to be funny? How should I go about being wittier?

Oh - hmmm now then....er no!
I think one is born with either funny bones or not, but I think wit can be practised, I think women tend to be funnier when they are in the company of people they trust, when they know they are going to be given the time to finish their anecdote without someone trampling all over it, the trick is not to waffle around the edges too much, stick to the story and dont forget the punchline- if you cant be funny or witty, be fascinating and if you cant do that sit back, shut up and look mysterious

wikkid Thu 27-Sep-12 10:33:24

You have got about a million followers on twitter. Have you got any tips for tweeting successfully?

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:34:34

tidymind

How long does it take you to write an entire standup show? Isn't the thought of keeping everyone laughing for an hour or whatever completely terrifying?

I do an hour and a half- leave them wanting nothing more
This one has taken three months on and off, but Im always doing other things alongside- so its v tricky, the show is never set in stone, new bits come with the performance and I drop stuff once I get bored of it