Gransnet forums

Chat

Gransnet How did you hear about it?

(61 Posts)
glitabo Thu 11-Oct-12 23:04:28

I was surprised when reading another thread to find out that there are about 7,000 Gnetters. How did you hear about GN.
I think I found it accidentally when surfing?

janeainsworth Sat 13-Oct-12 07:28:00

Thank you Elegran
Have a good day everyone.
I'm back up to Newcastle today after 3 days of looking after DGD while DD was away on a school trip. DGD was an absolute delight and I feel I'm a very lucky GN. sunshine

Elegran Fri 12-Oct-12 23:14:39

Yes Jane glad you stayed.

That was exactly how it felt, true enough - as though one morning the playground was suddenly full of kids from another school. I think there was some confusion about when they would all arrive, and the announcement at school assembly did not happen until after the "invasion". A pity.

It did subside though, and those of you who stayed on or joined since are all one with the rest.

janeainsworth Fri 12-Oct-12 22:53:11

Thank you, harri anno and anasmile
moon

Ana Fri 12-Oct-12 22:49:48

I remember all that fuss, janeainsworth! Glad you decided to stay. smile

annodomini Fri 12-Oct-12 22:48:52

Glad you did too, jane. smile

harrigran Fri 12-Oct-12 22:42:29

Welcome newbies smile

janeainsworth Fri 12-Oct-12 22:31:35

elegran that was what seemed so unfair! That Oldie readers were being lumped together like children from a school that had been closed down, going to another school and then muscling in and taking over the playground!
The reality, for me anyway, was that although I had been a subscriber to the Oldie since the first issue, I had never been on the Oldie website or communicated in any way with any other Oldie Readers.
GN felt like a very hostile place and I didn't bother coming back for months.
Glad I did though grin

Elegran Fri 12-Oct-12 22:00:22

Jane I remember that stushie. I think at the root of it was that it appeared unexpectedly with no warning that we would be sharing our toys with someone else - not just new members (they appear all the time) but a whole group transplanted in.

Nonny Fri 12-Oct-12 21:02:03

Hello Elle.
I heard about Gransnet on radio 4 probably on Womans Hour. I like to read the discussions.

janeainsworth Fri 12-Oct-12 20:53:58

I came via the Oldie.
The first thread I looked at consisted of people complaining that Oldie readers had been allowed their own sub-forum, and just who did these people think they were.
Plus ca change!
grin

whitewave Fri 12-Oct-12 20:42:08

elle hello and welcome. Some grans will be gentle and some not!! But it is a friendly site and as chatty as you want it to be.

Elle Fri 12-Oct-12 20:21:57

I saw the link in the magazine Computer Active. A forum for grannies seemed just up my street so I joined just fifteen minutes ago. Be gentle with me.

Maniac Fri 12-Oct-12 19:05:21

Talking to a friend in 'Growing old Disgracefully' about the heartbreak of 'Denied Contact' with my grandson.She told me about Gransnet I've had lots of support and comfort.The problem has not been resolved,but I've made lots of new friends,had scintillating discussions,been on my first cruise withjeni and met a gp of lovely GNs in Birmingham last week. What next?!!

glassortwo Fri 12-Oct-12 16:56:17

I was a Mumsnet addict but mostly lurked unless I was having a brave day hmm as you need to keep your head down over on the darkside!
So I waited patiently for the GN Launch morning so I could join, I am still me, in fact same user name as Mumsnet grin I am confused enough without changing names!!!

numberplease Fri 12-Oct-12 15:50:58

I was told about Gransnet by a friend who`d just joined.

gracesmum Fri 12-Oct-12 15:24:21

Some of us were discussing this last week in Brum and I have to admit I have no idea how I first came upon Gransnet, but I spend more time on it than just about anything else!

nonnasusie Fri 12-Oct-12 14:23:16

My DD told me about it and sent me the link. She is a member of Mumsnet and thought I might be interested!

tezizin Fri 12-Oct-12 14:20:39

hello Kittylester & Jenni glad you are both still you wink

jeni Fri 12-Oct-12 14:14:26

Wellcome tezizin and I'm still me (I think) confused

kittylester Fri 12-Oct-12 14:03:41

Hi tezizin flowers

I am also still me grin and I too heard about it on Breakfast, so presumably when absent did.

Nanadogsbody Fri 12-Oct-12 14:02:52

Welcome tezizin

whenim64 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:01:14

Welcome tezizin. Interesting to find we are highlighted in a computer magazine smile

tezizin Fri 12-Oct-12 13:57:58

Thanks ANNODOMINI smile

annodomini Fri 12-Oct-12 13:42:32

Welcome, tezizin. We are sometimes slightly (?) mad, but invariably supportive. Enjoy 'nosing around' and join in whenever you feel like it.

tezizin Fri 12-Oct-12 13:33:53

Hi folks. I have just joined 'gransnet' after reading about it in 'computeractive' magazine.Will be spending some time nosing around to see how it all works.smile