Gransnet forums

Chat

Live webchat with Sandi Toksvig - Friday 2 Nov 1-2pm

(73 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 23-Oct-12 13:26:31

We are VERY chuffed that Sandi will be coming in to GNHQ for a live webchat on Friday 2 November. An actor and comedian she is also the writer of many books, including The Chain of Curiosity, Whistling For Elephants and Hitler’s Canary among other titles. She hosts BBC Radio 4’s The News Quiz and writes a weekly column for The Daily Telegraph.

Sandi's latest book is Heroines and Harridans: A Fanfare of Fabulous Females in which she brings her trademark wit to bear on "22 portraits of as eccentric a melange of women throughout history as you are ever likely to find." All of the featured characters were terrific good fun, helped shape the world they lived in but in many cases disappeared into obscurity ( as she says, "it is not by chance that the relation of matters in the past are called ‘History’. It is, generally, ‘his story’ with many men doing grand things while the women stayed home to make the soup").

Sandi is currently touring the UK in her one person show My Valentine.

annodomini Fri 02-Nov-12 09:38:51

You strike me as someone who is entirely comfortable in her own skin. How would you describe your style of dressing?

whenim64 Fri 02-Nov-12 10:16:27

Hi Sandi. Do you still have an interest in archaeology? I would love to see you putting your particular slant on the lives and times of the Egyptian Pharoahs through a series about the Pyramids.

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 11:53:47

test

Riverwalk Fri 02-Nov-12 12:14:59

Hi Sandi.

I'm another fan of your radio programmes.

How old are your children and how would you describe your parenting style - open Scandinavian or buttoned-up English? smile

pottedshrimp Fri 02-Nov-12 12:50:04

If you could be anyone you've written about in your new book, who would you be?

prufrock Fri 02-Nov-12 12:55:35

Hi Sandi,

So looking forward to reading your book! I notice from the facebook page, it has some rather lovely illustrations. Why did you choose to have this book illustrated, and how did you choose the illustrator?

Thanks so much!

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 02-Nov-12 13:02:19

We're delighted that Sandi's here and well-provided with sushi and we're ready to go...

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:04:38

Hello Riverwalk
What a splendid nickname. I live on the river Thames and think I should have picked a name like that for myself. My three kids are all grown up now and I expect it was a mix of parenting style. I am very very keen on boundaries and manners but I never ever hit the kids. In fact they say the worst word I can use with them is 'disappointed'. They are all lovely grown ups

Riverwalk

Hi Sandi.

I'm another fan of your radio programmes.

How old are your children and how would you describe your parenting style - open Scandinavian or buttoned-up English? smile

flibbertigibbet Fri 02-Nov-12 13:05:07

Ooh, how exciting, been looking forward to this.

I am a HUGE fan of Denmark. I think it's the most civilised country in the world. Everyone seems to have summerhouses. Do you still go back?

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:06:44

tillysnana

Is it true you live on a houseboat? And (completely unrelated - sorry) what gave you the idea for this book?

Indeed I do live on a houseboat when I am in London but I cheat and also have a house in Kent for all my books. The idea for the book originated with the wonderful drawings and paintings done by my friend Sandy Nightingale. She is a genius and I wanted to do something which showed her off to the wider world. This is actually the second book we've done together. I am also a huge fan of women's history and do what I can to encourage more people to pay attention to some of the unsung heroines

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:07:53

I do still have an interest in archaeology. I love all history. I remember that Agatha Christie was married to an archaeologist. She said it was the perfect husband for any woman as the older she got the more interested he was in her

whenim64

Hi Sandi. Do you still have an interest in archaeology? I would love to see you putting your particular slant on the lives and times of the Egyptian Pharoahs through a series about the Pyramids.

Hurricanesandi Fri 02-Nov-12 13:08:12

I joined specially for this webchat though I now realise my name makes me sound like a stalker.

I think you are great on various quiz shows. So few women seem to be prepared to go on those panel shows - do you think HIGNFY and Mock The Week are too macho?

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:09:14

I do go back to Denmark where, rather stereotypically I have a summerhouse. It is a wooden log cabin in the woods beside a lake and is one of the most tranquil places on the planet. I love the fact that the Danes are so keen on work / life balance with the emphasis on life rather than work

flibbertigibbet

Ooh, how exciting, been looking forward to this.

I am a HUGE fan of Denmark. I think it's the most civilised country in the world. Everyone seems to have summerhouses. Do you still go back?

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:11:36

I don't really have a style. I am short and round and have found the high street is never all that interested in anything other than the 'standard' figure. I'm afraid I now have all my clothes made for me by a very nice gentleman called Mr Kevin who lives in Thailand. He comes to London twice a year and we talk about what I need and then it arrives in the post. No more horrible weeping in changing cubicles. Not a possibility for everyone but my secret spending on myself. I am aware that I am lucky to be able to do it

annodomini

You strike me as someone who is entirely comfortable in her own skin. How would you describe your style of dressing?

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:13:37

Sandy Nightingale the illustrator, is a genius. I was first shown her work by a friend who said 'We need to tell people about this woman and her talent' and I couldn't agree more. The book would not have been written without her and her wonderful husband Gary (the token male) who designed the book. We work in collaboration all three of us and spend far too much time laughing

prufrock

Hi Sandi,

So looking forward to reading your book! I notice from the facebook page, it has some rather lovely illustrations. Why did you choose to have this book illustrated, and how did you choose the illustrator?

Thanks so much!

Totalled Fri 02-Nov-12 13:14:20

What does being Chancellor of Portsmouth University involve? confused

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:15:28

I think I would be Queen Elizabeth but less grumpy. How wonderful to have been able to tell Raleigh what to do and to make friends with Shakespeare. She was troubled with a poor love life and bad hair though which might have made the odd morning a bit depressing

pottedshrimp

If you could be anyone you've written about in your new book, who would you be?

distaffgran Fri 02-Nov-12 13:17:29

Welcome, Sandi. Why did you decide not to name the person who groped you in the 1980s? Don't you think it would deter other men if they thought they might be named and shamed?

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:18:38

It is an honorary position which I was thrilled to take up this wednesday. Essentially I am an ambassador for the University. It is something I am committed to for the next five years and which I already take great pride in. I am a passionate advocate of further education and not just for the young. The ages of the students at the University currently ranges from 17 - 77. I will be present at all the graduation ceremonies and hope to send each graduant out into the world feeling positive and energised following their education experience. I also get to wear a rather splendid purple and gold gown with matching hat which makes me look like a wizard

Totalled

What does being Chancellor of Portsmouth University involve? confused

foffee Fri 02-Nov-12 13:21:22

What was it like growing up in America? Do you feel American at all? You don't have an accent....Do you still feel Danish, despite living in the UK? or does none of that matter really?

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:22:34

Hello stalker
I felt so bad that a high wind with my name could've caused such devastation.
I don't think it's that women won't go on quiz shows. I think it is that they don't get booked on quiz shows as much as they should. There are plenty of great women out there who could do the job. Of course the fastest way to get more women on is to let them be the hosts. Years ago they made two pilots for HIGNFY and I was told 'we really liked you Sandi but we couldn't have a woman in charge of the news'. I hope things have changed but I suspect you will carry on seeing many shows with hardly any women at all

Hurricanesandi

I joined specially for this webchat though I now realise my name makes me sound like a stalker.

I think you are great on various quiz shows. So few women seem to be prepared to go on those panel shows - do you think HIGNFY and Mock The Week are too macho?

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:25:08

On my mother's side I come from a family who managed to laugh their way through the second world war while living for many years in a shelter dug by my grandfather. I think on the whole it is easier to be upbeat. I often think people who are grumpy must be exhausted by it. Bad things happen to us all and we have to deal with them but the Greeks knew that the comedy and tragedy masks like side by side. Being cheerful as a default position usually makes the bad times easier to bear

NfkDumpling

You always seem so buoyant. Do you ever loose it and have a good rant or do you always see the funny side?

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:26:27

Hello Bags
I'll try and think of something too

Bags

Oh good! I'll look forward to this. Will try to think of a question too. But hello Sandi in the meantime.

crisisgran Fri 02-Nov-12 13:26:57

Was it easy to come out?

(Have gay child so am always pleased when much loved celebs are out)

SandiToksvig Fri 02-Nov-12 13:28:10

It is often the case that women have been overlooked or forgotten in history and it seems a shame. Not just for women but for men too. We are missing out on some inspirational stories. There is a great book called Who Cooked the Last Supper by Rosalind Miles about women's history. Just the question alone makes you think about the women who made great events happen but whose names have been lost in time

cleopatra

I'd love to know more about your views on history and male bias. The book sounds very interesting