Gransnet forums

Chat

Young relatives growing up

(7 Posts)
JessM Tue 18-Dec-12 17:43:49

I had a lovely lunchtime today with a young relative of mine. It's funny isn't it, when you knew them as babies and toddlers, then they go through the chrysalis years in their teens, when they are not at all interest in "aunts". And then all of a sudden, there is a newly emerged butterfly - a fully formed adult. (Well he was late, and he has lost his phone, but that may not wear off if the rest of the family is any guide). And a potential friend.
So much easier than one's own children too, because they don't have all that baggage.
So there was this charming, intelligent, chatty young man (very tall with scruffy hair, green eyes and size 13 doc martins). His great grandmother was my grandmother's sister, gottit.
I am lucky enough to have: a female first cousin who is 17 years younger than me, two delightful nieces (22 and 32) and now N as well who has the makings of a friend if we ever lived nearer. There are a few others as well dotted about, potential future friends.
Does anyone else enjoy becoming a grown-up friend of the younger generation of their families?

numberplease Tue 18-Dec-12 17:48:58

One of my grandsons, who I looked after from his being 6 weeks old whilst my daughter was at work, we`ve always been pretty close, has grown into a lovely 18 year old, and he`s still adorable as far as I`m concerned.

kittylester Tue 18-Dec-12 17:53:18

I get on well with all three of my nieces nowadays. When DS1 was little, if asked what he wanted to be, would always say 'a human being'. My nieces grew up to be lovely human beings! smile

annodomini Tue 18-Dec-12 18:43:33

My nephews are all delightful company although I rarely get the chance to see them; my own GD has grown up into a good conversationalist and is a sociable young woman. The less said about my thoroughly immature 36-year-old niece the better.

london Tue 18-Dec-12 19:02:21

my grandsons aged 21 up to 26 are great company and good lads mind so are the girls age 18 up to 25 .we often go for a pub lunch mind not all at the same time .smile

JessM Tue 18-Dec-12 19:21:19

Have they started buying rounds yet, London ?

london Tue 18-Dec-12 19:34:15

JessM not if they can help it smile