Gransnet forums

Chat

Hurray. It looks as if the snow will start going tomorrow.

(22 Posts)
HUNTERF Thu 24-Jan-13 15:01:18

Anybody thinking about going out for a Burns night supper?.

Frank

jeni Thu 24-Jan-13 15:29:57

What! Not in the SW I hope! We've had enoughshock

Ana Thu 24-Jan-13 15:35:15

Going, jeni, going...grin

HUNTERF Thu 24-Jan-13 15:38:51

Hi Jenny

I am in the Midlands and there are plenty of pubs advertising Burns Night Suppers.
There are 3 within walking distance. I will not book until the snow is going. If they are full I will probably go to my local Harvester or I will put some fish and chips on at home.

Frank

glassortwo Thu 24-Jan-13 15:53:26

I wish the snow would disappear here in the North East, the joys of living in the hills, its still as bad as ever. I love snow for the first few days but when you need to be doing thing its so difficult to walk. We have a amber warning of more snow for tomorrow evening so I have been told.

Ariadne Thu 24-Jan-13 16:35:23

Yes, glass you get cabin fever after a while, don't you? After years struggling to work in snow, on Kent, I still don't believe that in this little corner of Devon there hasn't been any! There will be some, I'm sure, though everyone says not.
Mmmmm. Hope you don't get any more!

feetlebaum Thu 24-Jan-13 16:43:53

Mostly gone from this part of the Thames Valley yesterday, Wednesday.
Today there are just those odd traces that make the place look dreary...

GillieB Thu 24-Jan-13 16:49:36

It took us half an hour to get to the end of our road yesterday (we're No. 1 so you can tell it's not far!). The snow has melted a little bit today - Glass, I hadn't seen that we were back on amber alert for tomorrow evening. I think my trip to the dentist tomorrow will also involve copious shopping if that is right.

I e-mailed the council yesterday and asked if anything could be done about the road as most of the people who live on it are elderly and they are not able to get out - lo and behold, a tractor came this morning and flattened the snow out, so it is better now.

JessM Thu 24-Jan-13 17:30:26

No we are still very white here in N Bucks and pavements are like glass.
The layer of snow on our solar panels has slithered slowly downwards and folded itself over like a layer of fabric at the bottom, multiple times.
An extraordinary sight.
- another big wet front coming over that is going to hit our cold air leading to snow in some areas later on Friday. So if anyone has plans for Friday night - then get updated on forecast. Extreme weather warnings!
Milder weather and a proper thaw behind it.

Nonu Thu 24-Jan-13 17:37:56

We are lucky here in East Anglia , as we are near to to coast don"t seem to get it as bad as others .

Perhaps the sea keeps us warm ?

When we lived in Upminster , Essex , we were on a direct line to the North Pole and used to get dire weather

moon

celebgran Thu 24-Jan-13 17:38:33

well it is very cold here in Frinton on sea!! a horrid wind chill factor!
was trying to snow again when went to hair dresser, please no more, our road has just become normal again!!

I just feel cold today, was not that warm sitting having hair done, even with socks and boots on my feet still felt chilly!!

Nonu Thu 24-Jan-13 17:48:14

Frinton is right on the sea .We are about 10 miles inland . Agree the wind chill has been quite harsh .

What I really meant , was not so much snow as other poor souls .

moon

soop Thu 24-Jan-13 18:28:30

Still no snow in Kintyre. Clouds had a yellow-ish tinge. Possibly some on the way. Safe journeys to all GN's who need to travel in the worst hit areas. moon

merlotgran Thu 24-Jan-13 18:51:08

Still quite a lot in Cambridgeshire and more forecasted for tomorrow night then, hopefully, it will thaw but it's going to be very wet. I've had enough of the snow as well and can't wait to see the back of it.

HUNTERF Fri 25-Jan-13 08:15:56

I might put my Burns night supper on hold in view of this afternoon's snow.
I noticed a 6 course Burns night supper being advertised in Woburn for only £119.00.
Out of my range but there may me some Gransnetters who are interested.

Frank

HUNTERF Fri 25-Jan-13 08:21:55

I have just thought this might interest some rich Gransnetters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267561/Worlds-expensive-bacon-sandwich-costs-150-complete-sliced-truffles-edible-gold-Tangberrys-coffee-house-Cheltenham-Gloucestershire.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Frank

glammanana Fri 25-Jan-13 10:56:30

Whoever said snow would be gone today tells fib's just sitting at the window looking out and the snow is coming down in abundance I can't even see across The Mersey to Liverpool as it is so thick (thats the snow not Liverpool).grin

Barrow Fri 25-Jan-13 11:22:42

Snow is melting here in North Somerset, although I still can't get the car out of the garage - have now been "confined to barracks" for 7 days! Forecast for rain tonight so hopefully that will enable me to get the car out tomorrow and I will be free at last!!!

Grandmanorm Fri 25-Jan-13 11:27:51

Snow is falling hard and fast in Kinross-shire. I love the snow but have now had enough after a week of the stuff.

annodomini Fri 25-Jan-13 11:39:57

Oh dear, glamma, if it has reached you, it could be over here soon, I fear.

whenim64 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:28:47

Looks like we are on the edge of the forecasted area of snowfall anno. We should know in the next couple of hours whether it's going to be heavy snowfall or not.

annodomini Fri 25-Jan-13 12:31:25

So far, a few reluctant flakes, but nothing dramatic!