Gransnet forums

Chat

January is the longest month

(11 Posts)
Mamie Sat 26-Jan-13 13:34:33

We are in the south of Spain doing just that! Today it is wonderfully sunny with a bright blue sky, temperature about 20 degrees and people are on the beach in swimming costumes. Very glad I read the thread on Gransnet that made us think about winter sunshine.

Tegan Sat 26-Jan-13 12:30:33

I've got major cabin fever at the moment; can't remember the last time I was outside in the fresh air and scared to go out today with all the icy pavements. I think that, if I'm semi retired next year I'm going to rethink this time of year. I know a lot of people seem to go away in January and I'm beginning to realise why. But hate the thought of putting the dog in kennels at this time of year sad.

gracesmum Sat 26-Jan-13 11:53:39

Time is very flexible, isn't it? I can imagine that you are finding it flying past absent as you have so much to do, and normally I am the first to moan how "time flies" - but that is "when you are having fun" and stuck inside in January (or worrying about getting anywhere) doesn't always quite come into that category!

absent Sat 26-Jan-13 07:25:49

In spite of its being only 28 days, February usually seems endless to me. However, this year there is so much to pack into the first four months that time is simply racing past at a terrifying speed.

NannaAnna Sat 26-Jan-13 00:59:51

I agree gracesmum. January has always been a very very very long month sad
On the plus side, the evenings are getting longer as January progresses. About 15 minutes a week by my reckoning sunshine

grannyactivist Fri 25-Jan-13 23:50:56

No, it's flying by - as does every month these days. It'll be Christmas again in a minute!!

jeni Fri 25-Jan-13 23:32:49

It's 4weeks too long!sad

Nelliemoser Fri 25-Jan-13 22:53:21

Gracesmum It really is not just you! I was having the very same thoughts earlier this week. The months went much quicker at the end of last year.

It must be the weather and perhaps that a number of my usual weekly activities didnt resume until the second week of Jan.

glassortwo Fri 25-Jan-13 22:09:57

My birthday is February so January did drag when I was little, but I think January has flown this year, but it is a depressing grey month.

merlotgran Fri 25-Jan-13 22:09:42

At least February feels shorter, gracesmum even if only by three days. I've had enough of January. Fed up with the snow, freezing mornings, dogs going stir crazy because their walks are much shorter, watching our log heap get smaller and smaller because we're using so much, eating too much comfort food, putting off trips to see family and friends.....I hate winter [crying emoticon]

gracesmum Fri 25-Jan-13 22:01:18

Is it me? Or does it feel as we are at least 5 weeks into January? It seemed to start the day after Boxing Day and you know what? We've got nearly another whole week to go! It was even worse in my working life when we used to be paid the last Friday before the end of term (now that was a 6 week month!) but even with pensions coming at 4 week intervals it is going on forever. And what is there to look forward to, oh yes! February sad