Gransnet forums

Chat

Good News ......... Sad News

(16 Posts)
Butty Sat 02-Feb-13 21:46:29

Lovely comments smile. It has helped.

Faye - My grandson is just coming up to 5 years old - so yes, it is good that his assessment is coming early in his life.

Off to bed now - goodnight all.
moon

Ella46 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:06:43

Butty flowers You have a lovely little grandson, how great is that? sunshine He's doing really well. smile

Bags Sat 02-Feb-13 20:12:01

Nicely said, ga.

grannyactivist Sat 02-Feb-13 20:04:55

Butty you let go of one dream in order to grasp the next. When our son was assessed as having learning difficulties, the lovely Ed.Psych told us that he would go on to achieve great things, but the path he took might be a different one to the one we'd imagined. Your grandson will find a path and his family will all be supporting him as he walks it. flowers

gracesmum Sat 02-Feb-13 19:52:59

I can really feel for you Butty - as you say it would be great if he didn;t need it, but how reassuring that appropriate action is being taken to give him the best possible chance to continue developing as that "lovable, smart, polite and funny little boy" that you know and love. This is not a problem in itself, it is a solution (or a big step on the way)

Faye Sat 02-Feb-13 19:39:37

How old is your grandson Butty. I can understand how you feel, but this could be a good thing, not leaving helping him until it is too late. flowers

merlotgran Sat 02-Feb-13 19:38:36

Hopefully he will continue with his terrific progress, Butty smile

Bags Sat 02-Feb-13 19:30:24

Butty, it sounds as if he's in very good hands. Lovable, smart, funny and polite sounds delightful to me. No wonder you want to be with him and his family more.

Butty Sat 02-Feb-13 19:04:59

Yes, he is coming on in leaps and bounds. Thank you for all your support.

We were all hoping he would transfer to an 'ordinary' kindergarten, which is the main ethos of his existing pre-school - to work towards that integration. It's just come as a bit of a blow.

Still, we are taking a very long view; it's early days yet. smile

Marelli Sat 02-Feb-13 18:28:08

Butty, he sounds as if he's coming on in leaps and bounds smile, and of course, in an ideal world you'd be able to be nearer and give emotional support to them all and to see his progress. It really does sound though, as if he has everything going for him there - how wonderful that the teaching support is as it is! Second to none, by the sound of things!

whenim64 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:19:27

Don't you just want to be there with them at times like this? I hope they help him continue the good progress he's already made butty smile

JessM Sat 02-Feb-13 18:13:23

Must be frustrating not to be nearer. flowers

Movedalot Sat 02-Feb-13 18:12:55

Butty hard to be so far away but it sounds as if all that can be done is being done. I can understand that the distance makes you feel helpless. wine

kittylester Sat 02-Feb-13 18:09:30

Oh, Butty, definitely good news/bad news. Definitely a good thing if he needs it and I'm sure they all know how much you care flowers

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 18:08:51

Sorry to hear this
It does sound though as if he is having appropriate therapy
In England parents often have to fight for it.

Butty Sat 02-Feb-13 18:06:38

I heard today that my grandson is being assessed for his next school. At the moment he attends a special pre-kindergarten for children with difficulties. He has made terrific progress in the last two years, and is a lovable, smart, funny and polite little boy. smile

However, he has been 'red flagged' to see a neurologist and educational psychologist, to determine his level of learning disability, and it is thought that he should continue in special education for the next stage. He needs considerable speech therapy and socialization skills.

Yet this has to be a good thing, because he will then receive on-going individual one-on-one assisted teaching support........but I really wish he didn't need it.

I'm feeling pretty helpless, as they live in the States, and I just wish I was closer to be able to lend a hand, but they are a strongly bonded family and I know they will deal with this well.