Gransnet forums

Chat

Lent: giving up Gransnet!

(77 Posts)
petallus Mon 11-Feb-13 08:13:57

Someone who is as addicted to Facebook as I am to Gransnet has challenged me to join him in giving up all social networking for forty days and forty nights during Lent.

I like a challenge so I have accepted although it is going to be HARD.

Not only that but we are doing the forty days straight. None of this having every Sunday off that Christians do smile

So, as from Tuesday midnight I shall disappear from Gransnet. I shan't even be logging on to see what is happening.

I know Gransnet will be in many good hands and still going strong when I return.

ginny Wed 13-Feb-13 11:13:26

Good luck to you Petallus.

ginny Wed 13-Feb-13 10:40:13

lily, I haven't rejected what I was taught about being good. I've rejected religion. Two completely different things, being good (or trying to be) and being religious. I still have time to reflect on my doings, good and bad, without Lent. Therefore, to me, Lent is pointless.

This is how I feel too. I always went to church, was in the choir and several other groups within our local Parish. Various things happened in my life and I began to question things. Eventually ,I came to my own conclusions and do not now believe or attend church. I don't feel I have lost anything and certainly I still try to be 'good' although like many of us I often fail. I'd say that these days I work on the principle of Do as you would be done by.

petallus Tue 12-Feb-13 23:47:29

Thanks. No, I have to go cold turkey.

Bye for now.

baubles Tue 12-Feb-13 17:39:31

Perhaps you could get mobile numbers of a few Gnetters and keep in touch by text, or would that be cheating?

Anyhow, farewell for now and good luck smile

petallus Tue 12-Feb-13 17:34:09

Help!

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 17:25:06

How are you feeling petallus? #timesrunningout

harrigran Tue 12-Feb-13 15:19:23

Thinking of you today soop flowers

Oldgreymare Tue 12-Feb-13 10:16:08

Dear Soop, thinking of you today with very positive thoughts and lots of love.

annodomini Mon 11-Feb-13 19:37:32

soop - all the best. x x x

Ella46 Mon 11-Feb-13 19:24:01

Good luck soop flowers

Marelli Mon 11-Feb-13 19:17:46

soop flowers Let us know when you're back home again. xx

Faye Mon 11-Feb-13 19:15:26

Best wishes for tomorrow soop. flowers

petallus Mon 11-Feb-13 18:12:35

I agree granjura there is no point in giving up something for the sake of it, for denial or punishment. I admit I am a bit into tests though smile

I do feel there will be a number of positive outcomes for me and others from me taking a few weeks to be quiet and think.

I am also in a pact with my GS about this and it's important to him.

Lilygran Mon 11-Feb-13 18:09:03

I'm sure that's true of you, Greatnan. Perhaps I shouldn't have related my observation to Gransnetters. Bon voyage!

granjura Mon 11-Feb-13 17:55:01

Me too Soop.

Personally I never could see the point of giving up something just for the sake of it - just for denial or 'punishment' or test. Why not give up something can can be of help to others in need - maybe is you give up Gransnet, for instance- you could give up some of the saved time to do something which could make a difference to others?

petallus Mon 11-Feb-13 17:52:56

Have a good trip Greatnan

Greatnan Mon 11-Feb-13 17:33:19

Lilygran, I have never known you to be patronising and I suppose you are right about some atheists, but I am sure you will accept that the atheists who post on this forum have shown themselves to have thought, read and discussed the major questions of religion before rejecting it.

Soop - lots of love and good luck flowers

I said too many pointess Hail Marys before I saw the light. The only thing I will be giving up for the next few weeks is prolific posting - not for Lent, but just because my Kindle Fire is so darned slow and I won't be able to monopolise my daughter's laptop.

Smoluski Mon 11-Feb-13 16:09:11

Will be thinking of you tommorrow flowers

Movedalot Mon 11-Feb-13 15:58:41

soop I obviously have not been on whichever thread you mentioned your hospital procedure on so have no idea what it is but I wich you the best of luck and hope the result is good. flowers

whenim64 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:51:26

Hope it goes well soop smile

numberplease Mon 11-Feb-13 15:24:41

Soop, best wishes! flowers

Galen Mon 11-Feb-13 14:45:18

Secondedflowers

Nelliemoser Mon 11-Feb-13 14:38:43

soop I hope all goes well!

Butty Mon 11-Feb-13 14:10:13

Be thinking of you, soop.

j08 Mon 11-Feb-13 14:05:56

I like petallus's idea from the point of view of bonding with grandson. And even talking to each other more!

soop best wishes. x