Gransnet forums

Chat

According to Geraldine...........

(67 Posts)
j08 Wed 13-Feb-13 23:15:00

we should all be going out and getting jobs. A second career would be good for us.

#bogoffG #likemybed

LullyDully Thu 14-Feb-13 12:18:44

Worked since leaving college in 1970. Went to part time at 60 {such a good idea} then finished at 62. Had enough of the classroom. I did enough and loved the job most of the time.

In retirement have a lot of time with GC- they have lived with us for nearly 4 years. When and why would I work? I do not know how teachers are going to work with little children until 67 {without throttling the little dears.} I am sure it must be the same for nurses. Enough is enough thank you........ back to the virtual party.

j08 Thu 14-Feb-13 13:54:22

Yes. All very 'ordinary' people Rosey. And doing such worthwhile jobs.

There've been a lot of articles, tweets, etc re the Pope resigning, but this one plumbs the depths! IMO

gracesmum Thu 14-Feb-13 14:03:24

Just tell that to Phoenix and smoluski (and others I may not know about) who are trying their socks off to get jobs and are facing a hidden agenda of age discrimination angry

soop Thu 14-Feb-13 14:06:44

Bollocks...angry

soop Thu 14-Feb-13 14:07:25

...and Rory gonnaballs would agree...if he could!

Lilygran Thu 14-Feb-13 16:37:17

Actually, gracesmum, that's a very important point. For many people in their 50s and 60s who want to work, the opportunity isn't offering. And people in that age group are often pushed out because they are more expensive to employ.

gracesmum Thu 14-Feb-13 23:10:42

I'm glad you agree with me - I felt I was being a voice in the wilderness. Although I am retired now I "got in" by the skin of my teeth so to speak.
We are stuck between a rock and a hard place - one group say we all have to work longer, blah blah blah and the others say we are over the hill at 40! Can't win!
Also glad to bump this thread up as it seemed to have disappeared while its lookey likey is up there near the top! grin

JessM Fri 15-Feb-13 14:57:50

I have sat next to a female manager and talked her round to the idea that a woman of 58 is a perfectly good person to hire, if she happens to be the best candidate. She was looking for reasons not to. e.g maybe she wont stay long.
Even though she is neither a bad person, nor would she think herself prejudiced. Unconscious discrimination is rife.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 15-Feb-13 15:04:05

Movedalot I don't at all think that people have to be employed to be engaged and involved. Employment for many people is an unfulfilling grind and life post-retirement is much more enjoyable and rewarding.

I was really making a plea - given the massive shift that is going on - for us to think more imaginatively about how we structure work over a lifetime. I completely agree that when you are older, the desire for meaningful, enjoyable things to do is strong - stronger perhaps even than when you're young. It's exactly that feeling that as a society we should be able to honour, respect and make use of, whether for money or not.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 15-Feb-13 15:19:03

j08 (sorry, I'm going on a bit here) My point about those people (David Attenborough et al) was that they have a lot of autonomy and really rewarding work to do. Those are two of the things that make people enjoy their lives, whether what they're doing is paid or unpaid. I wasn't suggesting supermarket checkouts were in the same league - though for some people working in supermarkets may be enjoyable.

But given that we are reaching the end of the time when we can pay for people to stop working at 50 and live until 90, we need to stop writing people off as "too old" at 55.

Lullydully (I really will shut up after this) I wasn't suggesting people should carry on their jobs to old age - rather the opposite, that longer lives give us the chance to have a second act. That may well be as grandparents or focusing on our families and relationships.

j08 Fri 15-Feb-13 16:42:27

But in the article you seem to be talking about people over the age of sixtyfive, not fifty. You say, "All the research on healthy longer lives shows that the more engaged and involved we feel, the better we age, physically and mentally"

No. Ageing doesn't really work like that. Just wishful thinking. Doesn't make any difference how "involved" you feel. When your body starts to age it does just that. And there's nothing you can do to stop it.

It's just not realistic to think that people of Alex Ferguson's, or any of the other's age, could hold down jobs in the real world. I suppose if the job was completely cerebral, sitting in front of a keyboard all day, then yes, possibly. But how many jobs are really like that?

But I know it's just an article to pad out a newspaper. So never mind. smile

JessM Fri 15-Feb-13 16:48:16

People vary so much in what they are physically or mentally capable of at all ages jo8 Hard to generalise.

j08 Fri 15-Feb-13 16:56:47

Yes. Exactly.

I guess I am talking about the majority.

soop Fri 15-Feb-13 16:58:30

I totally agree with jings. My body started to tell me to ease-up when I hit 65-ish. It now tells me to tick-over, find time to relax, enjoy a wee spin on the exercise bike and cope with a multitude of niggles [some of which make me want to weep]...then my mind takes over, and I come on to GN for understanding and support from people who know what they're talking about...hmm

gracesmum Fri 15-Feb-13 18:32:52

What does Alex Ferguson do anyway ? I could sit on a touchline and shout abuse at football players - easy! There will always be people who are able to work at a punishing pace at an advanced age (The Queen??) They are fortunate in their genes and to love what they do (I assume she does) But try to find or stay in paid employment and that is a different matter. I saw that lovely Pakistani man who worked at Kings Cross station on a TV prog earlier in the week. He wept at retiring - I'll bet he was obliged to retire. Mental ageing may well be held at bay by staying mentally and professionally active, but even then - look at people like Harold Wilson, Margaret Thatcher or Ronald Reagan who had no control over their own forms of dementia. We all age - but not always in the same way and not always in a steady decline -if you are like me, I ticked along feeling too young to retire for 2 years beyond retirement age and then over a period of about 3 months realised that actually I was not coping as well as I had done before. Or you find an illness, even flu, knocks you back and you don't "bounce back" like you would have done 10 years earlier.
Or, you find yourself going on and on and on at length....................gringrin

j08 Fri 15-Feb-13 18:41:57

Well, that's it exactly gracesmum. Those rich people have someone to do all the menial stuff for them. Just couldn't see the point in mentioning them in the same article as the majority of ordinary older people.

GadaboutGran Fri 15-Feb-13 18:43:18

I'm sure many in GN were like me - didn't have one career after another - had them altogether in a roundabout sort of way - paid work, voluntary work & raising a family - different paid work at different times according to stage of life. Now I'm training to be a Vol for a Restorative Justice Panel & it's really difficult having to sit there being told things you've been trained in & trained others in for the last 40 years. The unwritten rule is thou must not know more than the trainer & anything you already know has to be packaged in a very prescriptive way.

JessM Fri 15-Feb-13 19:11:46

grin gadabout
Someone was telling me earlier about someone they met on holiday in NZ. A woman in her 80s who was travelling in a little camper van. Every year she goes to a remote headland and counts the penguins (science is interested).
Nice story. Anyway need to get off my butt and make tea for my poor MIL who has enough medical conditions for a whole team of retired football coaches.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 19:43:16

My paid job was as a receptionist. When my husband retired through ill health on a reasonable pension, we were lucky in that I could afford also not to work. By retiring we opened up two positions on the job market for younger people. Most of the high profile career bods need to have a whole support team behind them so in a way they create jobs
If I opted to have a second career, bearing in mind my ability level, i would be taking work from someone who needed it more. And who else would do my present unpaid job as part time occasional child minder, dog sitter, carer for an elderly mother (this has been full time, seven days a week since before Christmas as she is seriously ill), and charity volunteer.

Just think how many organisations rely on a large unpaid voluntary work force. Mostly grey haired. Well, grey haired if left to nature.

j08 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:45:19

To be faair, Geraldine did say it needn't be paid work.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 19:53:49

You're right - I've now read to the bottom of the article and it does include volunteering. Although I would never consider my multiple dabbling a second career.

Galen Fri 15-Feb-13 20:02:05

May I put my oar in here?
I'm 68. Disabled, in pain most of the time!
I enjoy my work, not just for the money, but for the interest. It also makes me feel I am fulfilling a role in society.
If I wasn't paid, I'd probably still do it on a voluntary basis.
If I'm honest, the money does come in useful for DGD's ISA and cruises.sunshine

Anne58 Fri 15-Feb-13 20:18:49

Better late than never!

graces thank you for the point you made earlier, it is appreciated.

For those who may not know, I need to work in order to pay my mortgage etc, retiring is not an option.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 20:21:19

That's great. The important bit is that you do it because you want to. I found my job was getting in the way of all the other stuff I wanted or needed to do.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 20:25:26

Sorry Phoenix crossed posts. I know I'm very fortunate that I can afford to have a choice.