Gransnet forums

Chat

It bothers me to see young girls smoking.

(9 Posts)
ginny Mon 04-Mar-13 16:26:33

I don't know how they afford it either. I always told my 3 girls ( when they were still at home) if they had enough money to smoke then there would be none forthcoming from me. Same applied to over indulgence in alcohol.

Yummygran Mon 04-Mar-13 15:43:56

Apart from the fact it is so bad for health, I can't understand how youngsters can afford to smoke!

Galen Mon 04-Mar-13 15:38:46

I've now been abstinent for three years![halo] emoticon

LullyDully Mon 04-Mar-13 14:50:50

I must admit I am amazed at how old I will be next birthday. Even Roger Daltry and Pete Townsend got old.

As to smoking I hate it and was very upset when both my sons started. They would agree now in their 30 as both have found giving up a constant struggle. but Fingers crossed both are nearly free of it so far.

The ban in public spaces has helped quite a bit. The trick is to prevent teens starting when smoking is an ultimate rebellion. Not so easy .

dorsetpennt Mon 04-Mar-13 13:56:24

My 33 year old daughter has been smoking since she was 17 years old - even though the rest of us don't smoke. She said it was peer pressure mainly and now she enjoys it!. She did give up for about a month last year and seemed to be doing very well so you can imagine how fed up I was when she started again. She did say she will give up - eventually.
It does appear that more young girls take up smoking then boys. I think like all young people they don't think it'll 'happen' to them. They will never get old and ill - it's just something they don't think about.
A young woman I work with is in the midst of having a very large tattoo across her back. Even though several of us have said that it will look horrible with a wedding dress on and even worse when she is over 50, where it will look like a large inkblot. Same attitude - it won't happen to her.

ginny Mon 04-Mar-13 08:31:58

I agree, it is certainly does not look good apart from the obvious health risks. I suspect many young girls smoke to keep the edge off their appetite. I wonder if they realise that they smell like an ash tray.

tanith Mon 04-Mar-13 08:07:36

It bothers me to see anyone smoking.

Orca Sun 03-Mar-13 22:45:36

Any young person smoking is sad, not just girls.

HUNTERF Sun 03-Mar-13 22:19:04

Both my daughters had benign tumours a few years ago but they had operations and they are OK now.
The doctors did however say if they had smoked it was most likely they would have had cancer and their chances of survival would have been a lot less.
As a parent / grandparent it just frightens me to see young girls smoking.

Frank