Gransnet forums

Chat

Charity free gifts

(8 Posts)
j08 Tue 26-Mar-13 13:52:40

Yep! The pens are useful. grin (although they never seem to last long (those charities aren't daft))

Mishap Tue 26-Mar-13 12:28:29

I get annoyed by this too - I do not want to be "guilted" into making a donation to pay for th gift, and it does put me off giving to the charities who use this technique. They should do some market research and learn what people think about it. Or just read gransnet!

Ana Tue 26-Mar-13 12:25:31

We have lots of charity biros...very useful they are, too! grin

Elegran Tue 26-Mar-13 12:23:04

I reckon it is meant to make you feel guilty that they have given you something, so you feel you must give something in return.

sunseeker Tue 26-Mar-13 11:44:44

I have also received the Red Cross letter. I have two local charities which I support, I couldn't afford to support any more. I also think the gifts are a waste of money which should be used in better ways so why do they do it?

Galen Tue 26-Mar-13 11:42:22

Same here.

glassortwo Tue 26-Mar-13 11:18:33

nfk my FIL is inundated with these gifts from different charities, I can not see the reasoning in this. I dont imagine it makes the recipient anymore eager to support which ever charity has sent this gift.
I would have thought funds could be used to better effect.

NfkDumpling Tue 26-Mar-13 11:15:18

Now, I know the British Red Cross is an excellent organisation but I've just received a letter containing a pen, 2 coasters, a bookmark and 2 greetings cards with envelopes. Carefully and thoughtfully chosen no doubt, but at a cost? Oh, and a letter - which went straight in the bin.