Gransnet forums

Chat

You can get one of these for only £130,000.

(8 Posts)
Mishap Tue 07-May-13 22:35:58

My OH was in a 2-person practice for about 15 years. He had a day off each Weds - otherwise he worked every day and every other night and every other weekend. The weekend when he was on call lasted from Thursday morning to Monday evening, encompassing surgeries during the days and on-call at night. During that time he was constantly called out both day and night; and at that time there were no mobile phones; he would often go out on a call and then someone in the same neighbourhood would ring and when he got home he would have to turn round and go back out again straight away.

And it is worth remembering what this was like for the family - I could not leave the house during the whole of that time as the phone had to be manned - and the children could not go out either.

It was a huge commitment and I do not think that people had any idea what it was like. Some people assumed that if they were on at night they would have slept during the day - I had calls at 2am, saying "We thought it would be a quiet time to ring you"!!!!.

Although the current GPs are not involved in night calls they work extremely hard - my GP has just emailed me about an appointment he is trying to make for me - the email was timed at 9.28pm, so he was still in the surgery then.

Thye deserve every penny that they get.

glammanana Tue 07-May-13 21:24:53

So right Galen about time it was spelled out what Doctors put in to their work,if they where paid for the hours they put in then maybe they would be what HunterF calls rich and until he has worked none stop in a Hospital enviroment for 72hrs himself he should respect the people who do.

Ana Tue 07-May-13 21:09:28

Quite right, Galen, even now most GPs do a sterling job, go out of their way to help their patients, and aren't paid a fortune. I don't know where Frank gets some of his silly ideas from....hmm

Galen Tue 07-May-13 20:58:22

Hunter. Not all doctors are rich. I only worked as a GP for 9 years before joining the civil service as my husbands job had been moved. I lost more than half of my annual income from the change.
Also in those days GPS weren't paid nearly as much as now!
We also worked day and night, doing our own night calls.
I was on call 2 nights a week and one weekend in 4.
I never refused to visit anyone.
Please do not denigrate what we old fashioned gps did!

glammanana Tue 07-May-13 20:22:32

Oh Galen I was very tempted today to buy a new mini-clubman I have fallen in love with it at the local dealer's but cannot justify needing a new car I wish I had a London pension I must have been born at the wrong end of the Country.grin

HUNTERF Tue 07-May-13 19:01:59

Galen

I have not ordered any.
I thought you would have ordered 6 as you are a rich doctor.

Galen Tue 07-May-13 18:21:56

How many have you ordered?

HUNTERF Tue 07-May-13 17:33:04

cars.uk.msn.com/news/200mph-plug-in-hybrid-flying-car-that-can-take-off-vertically#image=10