Gransnet forums

Chat

Alzheimer's & Memories

(4 Posts)
grannysmyth Tue 14-May-13 10:20:03

Hi All

Long time watcher first time poster.

My friend has recently been told that she has Alzheimer's which is devastating in the least.

And it got me thinking what memories would you want to share with your grandchildren from your past.

Mines would be meeting my husband and their parents as children and I would like to remember the time when Lucy our eldest g.child recorded a happy birthday message for me when she was 2.

What about you?

GS

Stansgran Tue 14-May-13 14:20:02

I think a memory box is a good starting point.

ninathenana Tue 14-May-13 15:21:31

Long term memory is often the last to go. Up until a few weeks ago mum could talk about her childhood and mine. However she couldn't remember 2 minutes ago.
I can't actually think of any specific memories I'd want to pass on.

Eloethan Tue 14-May-13 18:36:18

Memories that may be interesting to me, may well not be interesting to my children. For instance, I wouldn't have been that interested in hearing about a lot of relatives that I'd never met.

I often wish that I'd been old enough (or, latterly, interested enough) to ask firstly my grandparents and then my dad about their experiences of ordinary life , e.g. schooling, their jobs, the war, historical events, etc., etc.

Diaries, letters, old photographs (with details on back) might be interesting to some - they would be to me.