Gransnet forums

Chat

Wearing out

(19 Posts)
gracesmum Fri 24-May-13 15:08:22

My laptop is about 3 1/2 years old and I have realised that the letters are beginning to fade from some of the keys! The N and the O principally.
Question: Is it because I am too negative?
Are any of your keys fading?

Mamie Fri 24-May-13 15:11:42

No, but I think my ipad finger is getting a bit stiff. hmm

petra Fri 24-May-13 15:22:27

Mamie, buy an iPad pen.

annodomini Fri 24-May-13 15:26:21

No, my keys are slightly incised, so the letters and numbers can't easily wear away.

FlicketyB Fri 24-May-13 16:37:41

Ye, I was using DH's pc this morning and the colour was wearing off several letters

feetlebaum Fri 24-May-13 16:56:43

On my old PC, the 'A' and the 'L' had disappeared completely.

Mamie Fri 24-May-13 17:04:11

Is the ipad pen fast enough for candy crushing?

harrigran Fri 24-May-13 17:12:50

Yes, the E and A are going on my keyboard and it is just 2 years old.

GillieB Fri 24-May-13 17:44:41

The "n" went on my old laptop - but as I have three "ns" in my name, I put it down to that.

Goose Fri 24-May-13 18:18:12

I have lost almost completely (just having a look) 'e', 'h' and 'n' - almost half gone are 'r', 'o', 'h' 'm'. I now thank Mrs Stone (shorthand/typing teacher) for teaching me how to touch type (I will never forget 'the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog')grin

Marelli Fri 24-May-13 20:10:35

My 'E' is only half there.

Ana Fri 24-May-13 20:18:47

Are you all heavy-fingered, or what? None of my key letters are disappearing (laptop is about three years old), and none of the ones at work are, either - I've been using that particular keyboard for at least five years...

NannaAnna Fri 24-May-13 20:21:44

Four year old MacBook, keys as bright as new wink

janerowena Fri 24-May-13 22:04:31

I had this problem a few years ago, and discovered when I went to replace my keyboard (I had drowned it) that the letters are only printed on the keys now, whereas they used to be incorporated into the original mould. Mine was a white board and now only Mac seems to make them in white. So I have had to go over to black boards that wear off after a few months.

I bought a pack of stick-on numbers from Amazon. They have lasted very well, you can hardly tell they are there. They are only made of paper and cost around £3, but it's better than always buying new keyboards. I tried white marker pen, and silver, it wore off before the day was over.

gracesmum Fri 24-May-13 22:13:18

Ooh the fun you could have sabotaging somebody else's keyboard by sticking the letters in all the wrong places........grin

annodomini Fri 24-May-13 22:52:03

Mine's quite an old Sony Vaio. I suppose newer models will have erasable keys. hmm

Ana Fri 24-May-13 23:18:48

Erasable keys...? hmm shock

Nelliemoser Fri 24-May-13 23:32:38

I had the letters wearing off. I noticed though on the computers at work that they seemed to wear off sooner on smokers keyboards.

I had to get a new laptop keyboard as it had a wee argument with my breakfast cereal it solved the letter problem though.
The new one seems to have painted on letters as well. I might look out for stickers if I need them.

janerowena Sat 25-May-13 09:32:36

I love the thought of sabotaging someone's alphabet grin

They vary hugely in price. For a bit of sticky-backed plastic with a bit of printed paper on the front it's quite expensive really, but I think paying out a few pounds for some stickers is better than buying a new cheap keyboard from Argos at £7 or something and throwing away the old one into landfill, which seems criminal.

My keyboard deaths have happened three times now, usually from spluttering, spilling my coffee and killing my keyboard because I have read something funny.