Gransnet forums

Chat

Starting a cookery class

(8 Posts)
gangy5 Sat 25-May-13 20:35:01

Thanks to all for your response and suggestions. I personally will be doing this voluntarily. They will pay a small amount for each session to cover the costs of running the centre.

GillieB Sat 25-May-13 17:45:59

When I was growing up I was not allowed to do anything in the kitchen, although I did do cookery at high school - first thing: potato soup, if I remember correctly. My DM died when I was 23 and, even then, I didn't cook as DF was always first home. Marriage came as a shock to me but I persevered, helped by cookery classes as local schools, etc., and I am now a very good cook, if I do say so myself.

My DSis works at a children's centre in the Midlands and one of her jobs is teaching mums to cook - I think it is so sad that cooking almost disappeared from the school curriculum. Those lessons I had laid a good foundation for me.

Good luck with your idea - I, too, would come and help if I was near.

kittylester Sat 25-May-13 17:38:58

Me too, Bez

Something 'Basic/easy home cooking' then you could move onto 'Slightly less basic/easy home cooking'

I have thoroughly enjoyed it when I have gone on cooking courses and I've just remembered DH's father went on a basic cookery course after his wife died, so there is another target market!

So long as you are not charging a fortune for it, you could advertise in the library and community centres.

Really exciting. sunshine

Bez Sat 25-May-13 16:16:43

Maybe people who are not mums would like to learn too - such as those about to be university students - come to that why not do a course for them showing good easy meals that do not cost a fortune and also point out the handiness etc of making double and freezing one meal. Easy to make sweets for them would be good too - baked apples or crumble while the casserole is in.
What fun you can have - if I lived near I would come and help you!!

gangy5 Sat 25-May-13 15:43:44

PS - sorry about the spelling mistake kittylester

gangy5 Sat 25-May-13 15:42:09

Thanks kittyleaster that's a big help - some really good ideas!!

Any ideas what I can advertise it as??
Something like - 'Mums - Let's do Home Cooking'

kittylester Sat 25-May-13 15:19:14

Brilliant idea!! Please teach them how to make cakes and biscuits too.

Advertise with PTAs, nurseries, playgroups etc. Round here we have those free advertising magazines which I don't think are too expensive to use. Also try Parish Magazines and local villlage magazines. The school up the road sends round a prospectus for next year's classes around now, so a good time to get organised.

Good luck! smile

gangy5 Sat 25-May-13 14:26:32

I am wanting to start a cookery class at my local community centre. As most children now seem to be doing cookery at school I thought it may be a good idea to do it for Mums who would like help and advice with cooking for a family. Those at school in the 80's and 90's may not have had any formal teaching of cookery.
What do you think? A good idea or not?
Have you any suggestions? - i.e. how to advertise them etc.