Gransnet forums

Chat

"The way to a man's heart is through his stomach"

(7 Posts)
Grannyknot Wed 29-May-13 19:10:42

Walking to the station today after leaving the office with young colleague - she uttered the immortal words above after I had shared a recipe with her in the age old oral tradition of women passing on recipes! I looked at her askance then burst out laughing because (a) she is really young and (b) trendiest of trendies and I said "Wherever did you get that from? I haven't heard that expression in yonks". And she replied "My nan taught me that". (She has her sights on a man).

Made me think of how husband licks his chops when I've produced a particularly great version of one of his favourite meals, and how - it probably would never apply to me ...what I mean is, a man would have to be more than a good cook to snare me! smile

Excuse me while I serve tonight's pot roast with caramelised red onion, potatoes and carrots that have soaked up the juice and green beans. #expectlipsmacking

gracesmum Wed 29-May-13 19:12:38

Oh I don't know......which brings us back to Paul Hollywood!! grin BTW I have read that Mary Berry has threatened to quit Bake Off if he is taken off it!!smile

mollie Wed 29-May-13 19:26:55

Well, it worked for me wink. Which is brilliant as I love to cook and he loves to eat...

MrsJamJam Wed 29-May-13 19:32:21

OH wooed me with his cooking, and is currently cooking supper for us both! So it does work the other way round (though he has other more important talents which I am not about to share!)

PRINTMISS Thu 30-May-13 08:22:27

The other half cook - not on your nellie! I have tried to encourage him to cook with me, but if it is not in a tin, frozen ready for the micro-wave, or a take-away, then he is not interested. Trouble is we both enjoy our food, so if I cook for myself, then he obviously gets his share, and always appreciates what is put on the table for him, although we are eating less and less as we get older.

Lilygran Thu 30-May-13 08:44:59

My DH and both my DS are very good cooks and collect recipes for meals they make. My father was, too. They all cook regularly, not just barbecues and special events. My DGS are also very interested and enjoy making meals and (particularly) baking.

Movedalot Thu 30-May-13 09:22:17

DH has been doing all the cooking for the last 2 years and is becoming expert. He tries out all sorts of new things and they usually work. All 3 DSs cook but none of them do cakes and puds which their father has started to do with some success. It seems to me they cooked their way into the hearts of their wives/fiancee!