Gransnet forums

Chat

Cigarette cards

(13 Posts)
PRINTMISS Fri 21-Jun-13 11:25:03

My husband has a large collection of cigarette cards (never smoked). However they are well worn and although some very' old worthless to a collector. Our daughter did get the cricketers framed and a good framer will make sure all the information on the rear of the cards is recorded. If you have some reallt pretty birds or flowers, it might be worth getting them framed as a present?

JessM Thu 20-Jun-13 19:21:53

No albums here. My dad was not a smoker - he used to collect them as a child. I think people used to give them to him - quite a lot of different brands. Probably felt sorry for him because he was so badly affected by rheumatic fever and he couldn't run about with other boys. My grandmother kept them after he grew up and after he died despite her not being a hoarder - so because of his early death and that fact, they have some sentimental value.
There is a lot of interesting info on the backs in tiny print.
I have now done a rough sort into re-sealable bags. Sets of cars, sets of planes etc. Still a large litre sized margarine tub of nearly-all-forgotten celebs.
Wonderful art work on some of them (vehicles of world war 1!) and those that have photos are still in great condition (puppies, boxers etc)
I am inclined to email the DSs and the D nieces and my sister and ask them which kind of topics they might be interested in having from the collection. Fish? Guide and Scout badges? The reign of George V?
I think the oldest is probably a larger (20 cig packet sized) pin-up from v early 20c - WW1?
Still interested to know if anyone has successfully un-glued the glued together cards?

Nonu Thu 20-Jun-13 16:37:32

Mr N has a huge collection of cigarette cards , in the albums they used to provide for them .

he is not a smoker and never has been I am glad to say , he has just sort of collected them from various sources .

Maniac Thu 20-Jun-13 15:38:27

I have a set of 50 cards of 'Garden Flowers'from 'Ageratum' to 'Zinnia' probably from Wills Woodbines which my dad smoked in the 30s.
I looked at them so often in my childhood and they probably started my love of gardening.
They are stored in an 'Oxo Cubes' tin!!

FlicketyB Thu 20-Jun-13 14:28:18

Look on ebay.

GillieB Wed 19-Jun-13 21:08:45

Last summer my DH and I spent a good couple of hours sorting out cards that had belonged to an elderly relative of a friend. Some of them were quite delightful - we thought they must be worth something, but aftter doing some research we discovered that there is only a very small market for them. HTH

shysal Wed 19-Jun-13 15:33:06

Reported. Saucy link!

jamescardin Wed 19-Jun-13 15:03:07

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

annodomini Wed 19-Jun-13 12:56:21

Look up cigarette cards on Ebay, Jess. Unless there's a rarity value, I don't think they'e fetching very much.

JessM Wed 19-Jun-13 12:34:27

Don't think framing several hundred of them is going to be a viable plan. grin Will grandchildren want them I wonder, and is it possible, or worth it, to salvage the stuck together ones.
Oh lord they are all over the lounge floor and need to be dealt with...

feetlebaum Wed 19-Jun-13 10:08:31

I have a framed collection opn the wall here - it was a gift from someone. A series of fifty 'celebs of a bygone age' - actually stars of 1930s theatre and variety.

I'm rather fond of it...

j08 Wed 19-Jun-13 09:00:27

Wish I still had mine!

JessM Wed 19-Jun-13 08:57:33

The big declutter has brought my late father's collection of cigarette cards into the light of day. Quite a lot of them. Some attractive (fancy poultry), some fascinating (air raid precautions), some boring (celebs of a bygone age), some would be fascinating to someone who has a particular interest in the history of aviation or cars.
Some are stuck together because they had gluey backs so they could be stuck in albums.
He was not a smoker himself, bless him, had a very bad heart and died at 34 - so these were a childhood collection, so there is some sentimental value to them.
Anyone know anything about them? e.g whether worth trying to un-stick the stuck?