Gransnet forums

Chat

Naughty grandaughter

(21 Posts)
janthea Thu 11-Jul-13 09:36:16

My grandaughter was being 'minxy' last night after her bath. As it's her fourth birthday party on Sunday, my daughter told her that she would cancel her party unless she behaved, and that meant she would have to stay three!! Needless to say, she turned into an angel.

What a great idea. I'm going to cancel all my birthday parties from now on. grin

whenim64 Thu 11-Jul-13 09:41:42

My four year old grandsons keep telling me I won't be going to their birthday party if I'm naughty! grin Nothing to do with me pulling them up about jumping on top of each other on their new trampoline, of course! grin

Nonu Thu 11-Jul-13 09:51:57

JANTHEA , me too .

Laugh.

janeainsworth Thu 11-Jul-13 10:28:36

Hmmm...... Never make threats you have no intention of carrying out ! Would your daughter really have cancelled the party ?

janthea Thu 11-Jul-13 10:39:20

janeainsworth Of course not. Have you always carried out your threats?

janeainsworth Thu 11-Jul-13 11:05:42

I think it's better to negotiate than to make threats janthea, and that goes for anything from small children to political leaders, so I don't make them.
Sorry if I'm turning a light-hearted thread into a serious one.

whenim64 Thu 11-Jul-13 11:22:02

Negotiate with my four year old grandsons? grin Jane, I'll pm you their address and maybe you'll nip round and have a go! The head of United Nations would be tied up in knots in moments with those two!! grin

whenim64 Thu 11-Jul-13 11:25:18

.....but yes, I agree - only carry out what you can reasonably threaten, like 'I shall confiscate that water pistol if you drench nana again.' grin

vegasmags Thu 11-Jul-13 11:37:46

At my wits end with a very difficult FE class in Moss Side, I once threatened : If anyone does A, B or C again, I'm going to do something to you that's so horrible I haven't even thought of it yet! (Which was of course the truth!) A stunned silence fell and lasted throughout the last of the class.

janthea Thu 11-Jul-13 11:55:18

My daughter hardly ever uses threats and is very adept at negotiations. However, she is very pregnant, tired and as well as the 4 year she has a tearaway 19mth old boy!! So I think we can allow her a slip now and them. I only posted it because I thought it was funny! We've all been there.

vegasmags Thu 11-Jul-13 11:59:35

Of course it was funny janthea smile and we have indeed all been there.

janeainsworth Thu 11-Jul-13 12:56:25

Yes I have to admit I am speaking from the position of hardly ever seeing my DGCs because they live so far away sadsad so I don't have the everyday hands-on experience that many of you have. And I do remember having two small children and another on the way janthea
And of course I would use the water pistol type threat where the effect of the threat is immediate, obvious and appropriate to the age of the child, but so often it is not!

Nelliemoser Thu 11-Jul-13 14:05:26

Whenim Threatening to remove water pistols from two small boys sounds like a recipe to get totally drenched. The only way is to get a bigger and more powerful water pistol than they have.

I found negotiating anything much with my very verbal 2yr old DD was often pretty pointless, but at that stage I could just pick her up and cart her off from wherever it was she was inventing creative reasons for why she must stay. Parental control wins as long as you are strong enough.

Sook Thu 11-Jul-13 14:43:14

My DGD will be five in October, she too can be a little minx. When she misbehaves I warn her that if she continues I will tell her parents and she knows that I will keep my word, likewise I always praise her when she is well behaved and I always let her parents know too.

janthea your daughter certainly has her hands full. Does she know if number three will be a minx or a menace smile

Galen Thu 11-Jul-13 15:11:26

My 2yearold DGD is already at the non-negotiating stage. If you ask her to do something she doesn't want to, she will look at you and say*NO*! In a tone of voice that this says that this request was either totally unreasonable or might even be indecent!
(Takes after her mother of coursegrin)

janthea Thu 11-Jul-13 15:28:30

sook Another menace!! So I suppose grandaughter will be able to boss her little brothers around!! Hopefully she will want to help with the new baby. Although when told she was having a new brother she said 'I don't want this baby, I want a sister' and cried. Soon got over it and I'm sure when the new addition arrives all will be sunny!

Galen Thu 11-Jul-13 15:32:57

My DGD doesn't want her expected sister! NO very firmly.

nanaej Thu 11-Jul-13 15:37:10

Yesterday at the local school Open Day Iwas walking rounfd with DGD2 (nearly 5), @are you looking forward to coming to school C? asked the teacher 'No I am not' Said C. And she meant it! confused

Greatnan Thu 11-Jul-13 15:43:41

My sister was very jealous of a new baby brother and poured a packet of salt down his back. She was not quite three. When he died of meningitis at six months, she was convinced it was her fault, so when I arrived the following year she was very, very kind to me - and always has been.
We just don't know what ideas young children have, do we?
My gd and gd-in-law have been lucky - both my two older great gds were thrilled to have little sisters, and I gather both pairs now gang up on their long-suffering parents.

gillybob Thu 11-Jul-13 16:22:07

When my son was three I was a struggling hard working single parent. We had nothing very much and virtually everything in our flat was second, third or fourth hand. I saved up like mad and eventually got a new lounge carpet that was my pride and joy. My son, knowing how precious this carpet was to me used to blackmail me into doing something or giving in to something by threatening to spill his juice on the new carpet although he never actually did, he would start to tip the cup just to get me going. We have a laugh about it today and when he (he's 33) asks me to do something (usually extra babysitting) I say "what will happen if I don't"? and he always says "I will spill my juice".

Sook Fri 12-Jul-13 21:36:13

janthea GD is very bossy with both her brother and cousin who are almost two grin. She is also very helpful coaxing them to eat, wiping their faces and she will rock the pushchair back and forth to get them off to sleep. I hope all goes well for your daughter.