Gransnet forums

Chat

Thubbing - are you guilty?

(30 Posts)
dorsetpennt Mon 05-Aug-13 09:08:47

Thubbing is the name given to those people who constantly check their mobile phones for texts and e-mails during social occasions. Like weddings, dinner parties and so forth. Brought to mind a story told to me by a colleague at work.
Her lawyer daughter [lives in London] went on a first-time date with another lawyer she worked with in town. He took her to an extremely good restaurant and she was prepared to enjoy herself. She did not. He constantly received and made calls and texts during the meal, he also 'table-hopped' throughout . During this table-hopping he actually sat down with some friends and shared a glass of wine with them leaving the young lady stranded. She rose and gestured she was going to the loo but instead she caught a cab and went home.
The next morning he tackled her about this and accused her of being rude leaving after HE had treated her to a lovely meal. He was incredulous when she told him the reason why.

Pittcity Wed 07-Aug-13 14:57:53

I love my smartphone and find it very useful. It is my phone, diary, newspaper, dictionary, crossword, telephone, laptop, calculator, loyalty card, tv guide, radio, cd player, weatherman, camera, library, A-Z, notepad, torch, train & bus timetable, encyclopaedia and much more.
My life and my handbag are so much less cluttered smile
But I make sure that all but the essential notifications are turned off and have even set it up to tell people I'll call them back so that I do not turn into a "phubber"
I find it has freed me up like never before. No more waiting in for an important call. Never miss a TV programme because I can set remote recordings..my PVR is a godsend too! Never be the last to find out an important news story. Always able to locate a wandering husband.....the possibilities are endless.
Only yesterday DD1 and I were discussing the fact that my 2 year old GS would never know a world without this technology...

dorsetpennt Tue 06-Aug-13 09:20:13

To add to my own thread and so I'm not branded as some sort of luddite :- I embrace new technology, I have used a personal computer for years and have had a mobile phone for at least 12 years. However, it has killed the art of conversation and spelling, it should be used wisely and not loudly when sitting say on a bus. It should be in your pocket/handbag unless you are needed in an emergency. Why people have phones and then have them turned off. Why? Might as well not bother and just used your normal landline.

Butty Tue 06-Aug-13 09:01:03

I would have said I'd beat you to the record, tiggy, but I'm off on a bit of solo travelling in a few weeks, for a month, where I might need to rack-up a hefty bill if things don't go according to plan! smile

tiggypiro Tue 06-Aug-13 08:26:28

Ditto Butty (except my technology speed is pretty slow) My DD insisted I got a phone 7 years ago because I was hacking out on my own - but nothing new in that. I have pay as you go and so far in more than 7 years have spent about 15 pounds. Is this a record?

Butty Mon 05-Aug-13 22:21:05

I'm fairly up to speed with technology, and own a basic mobile, but have no connection where I live. Consequently, I rarely take it out with me because I forget that I might go to an area where there is a connection. I simply don't see it as a part of my life.

janeainsworth Mon 05-Aug-13 22:20:32

Absent having a mobile doesn't make you accessible every minute of every day.
DD2 has a mobile, but it is usually lost, switched off, run out of charge, or she simply chooses not to answer it. She is rarely accessible, but finds her mobile useful for summoning assistance in her various crises.
They can be jolly handy too when someone finds they have inadvertently got on the wrong trainwink
Ariadne Quite agree about the elderly luddites!

Judthepud2 Mon 05-Aug-13 22:10:38

My (soon to be ex) SIL 3 is the worst I have ever encountered at this. It is really aggravating and has contributed to the breakdown of the marriage. He is always texting or speaking on the phone but can't be bothered communicating with DD. When she complains, it is all her fault! She is doing his head in. Pah!

absent Mon 05-Aug-13 20:47:48

I am au fait with technology but I don't want to be accessible every minute of every day so I don't have a mobile phone. I also dislike their little keypads. Mr absent has one and that does for both of us.

Ariadne Mon 05-Aug-13 19:18:07

I just don't want to be the sort of older person who thinks it clever not acknowledge the advantages of modern technology - I meet so many who smugly say they don't really know how to turn the computer on, they don't understand this or that - and they disapprove of Facebook even if they have no idea what it's about and have never looked at it. (OK, so that's another issue, and just used for illustration)

Most of us on GN are au fait with technology to various extents, otherwise we wouldn't be doing this, of course. And we are intelligent enough to use it to our own advantages, I hope.

I suppose it's to do with not getting stuck in a rut. "Choose your rut carefully, you may be in it for a long time."

nanaej Mon 05-Aug-13 19:10:48

Policy at work was not to access phone except at break times..I have kept that up unless I am out and about rendevous-ing with people, someone is ill or expecting a baby to arrive!

Ariadne Mon 05-Aug-13 19:05:07

I don't think there is any great virtue in switching your phone of etc. the virtue is to use it appropriately and effectively. Adapting to the times is essential.

nanaej Mon 05-Aug-13 18:08:05

Only have my mobile sound on if expecting a call. Otherwise I check it at set times and most people I know well are aware of this. Never have mobile out when eating! How rude!!

henetha Mon 05-Aug-13 17:39:31

Mostly I'm not guilty.... only occasionally! But I know a couple of people, -no names!- who definitely are and it's darned annoying after a while.

wisewoman Mon 05-Aug-13 17:26:59

We were recently having a lovely meal in a very nice hotel and noticed the couple at the next table had their iPhones placed opposite each other. Every so often throughout the meal they checked and responded to messages. I couldn't believe they could spoil a lovely dinner like that. Instead of looking into each others eyes they constantly scanned their phones. What a world!

glammanana Mon 05-Aug-13 15:10:51

The height of bad manners and I can't believe the chap concerned was surprised at the outcome.I never have my mobile switched on now I am not that important that people need to get in touch every few minutes,if they want me they know where I live.

ninathenana Mon 05-Aug-13 15:04:44

According to BBC breakfast the word is phubbing.
DD is guilty of this. I don't think I am. I certainly don't use mine at meal times, and tend to have it on silent when with friends.

ginny Mon 05-Aug-13 14:00:52

Certainly bad manners. I have a rule that no 'phones are allowed at the meal table , at home or in resturants. Of course mobiles can be very usefull but much of the time they are a great intrusion.

Ariadne Mon 05-Aug-13 13:51:05

It shows complete and utter bad manners! I love my phone, iPod, iPad etc, but hope I know when to put them away. She is well rid of him.

Nonu Mon 05-Aug-13 10:29:08

Australia ? anyway there has been a campaign imported from there to try and stamp it out.

Thrubbing is a wee bit rude really !!!

merlotgran Mon 05-Aug-13 10:13:40

Who came up with the word, Thubbing?? hmm

Ana Mon 05-Aug-13 10:10:30

No I am not. Like sunseeker, I regularly forget about mine and miss messages - sometimes the battery's run out altogether...blush

Bags Mon 05-Aug-13 10:03:23

Or drowned it in his wine, liz? grin Like your style!

sunseeker Mon 05-Aug-13 09:58:58

I always have my mobile phone on me but very rarely check it and on several occasions have arrived home and when taking the phone out of my bag notice I have several missed calls or messages.

LizG Mon 05-Aug-13 09:28:39

We have had a number of family crises recently so I have become guilty of 'thrubbing' recently although I hate it. I think I should have thrown his mobile 'phone into his Pavlova Dorsetpennt

Nelliemoser Mon 05-Aug-13 09:22:15

Not me either. My sister and DD complain I don't look at my phone enough.
I hope the woman really told her colleague/date exactly where he went wrong! It sounds as if he is too full of his own importance.