Gransnet forums

Chat

accident on Sheppey Crossing

(10 Posts)
FlicketyB Fri 06-Sep-13 10:10:38

The problem with fog is that it shifts and moves. One side of the bridge could have been entirely fog free and you only saw the fog on the other side when you breasted the bridge.

At least no one has been killed.

Iam64 Fri 06-Sep-13 09:44:12

Terrifying how quickly this happened isn't it. I continue to be shocked by how close to the car in front so many people insist on driving. The bullies who sit on the boot of the car in front, tail gating in an attempt to constantly overtake. New cars are so efficient I suspect some of us believe we're invincible as we speed along.

Hunt Thu 05-Sep-13 23:37:32

A policeman said the crash was caused by the fog.Actually ,no. The crash was caused by people driving with no lights and driving too fast for the conditions. My very best wishes for speedy recoveries for all those injured in this horror.

ninathenana Thu 05-Sep-13 22:27:47

They are making an issue of the fact there are mo street lights on the bridge. This was something the local MP brought up when the bridge opened 7yrs ago.
It was day light I don't see that lights would have made a difference. Sensible driving would though.

Nelliemoser Thu 05-Sep-13 20:38:56

I wish the media would stop blaming the fog. It's the bad drivers who don't make allowances for the fog, that are the problem.

It probably only takes a few of bad drivers to crash into those who are driving sensibly.

I did once hear one policeman blaming people for not making allowances for the conditions.

Mishap Thu 05-Sep-13 14:14:27

It just makes you despair.

We drove to the station about 15 miles away yesterday in morning autumn fog and we just spent the whole journy counting the people who did not have their lights on - mad as hatters!

And one of the taxis I used to get back to the station from the hospital had a total idiot of a driver - he arrived in a minibus adapted for disabled people. When I got in I said I could not find the seat belt clip and he said - "Oh it's OK, this vehicle is exempt from seatbelt wearing." as he sat there in the dirver's seat ignoring his seat belt. He seemed almost proud of the fact that he did not have to wear it and quite oblivious of the reasons for it. Mad again!

annodomini Thu 05-Sep-13 14:09:55

Such an enormous pile-up - mind-blowing. Imagine being caught up in that, even if you weren't hurt!

j08 Thu 05-Sep-13 13:38:45

looks horrific!

gracesmum Thu 05-Sep-13 13:23:30

Some drivers are SO stupid! No lights on? No fog lights on? Driving too fast? Autumn mists are nothing new and while driving in fog is terrifying some people just don't seem to know how to drive in any but the most perfect conditions. Thank goodness there so not seem to have been any fatalities as far as I have heard, but what a dreadful experience for anybody caught up in it.

ninathenana Thu 05-Sep-13 13:11:13

I expect you've seen the reports. I live on Sheppey. Soo glad SIL is on lates today or he would have been on the bridge. Traffic on the island still bad.

Thoughts are with the 7 seriously injured.