Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I mutton?

(53 Posts)
gettingonabit Sat 19-Oct-13 16:34:29

Just been to a 12 year old's party. One of the girls, admittedly one of the bigger ones, was dressed pretty much exactly like me!

I'm no spring chicken but thought I looked pretty hot in my skinnies, biker boots, long vest and circle scarf. Plus slouchy cardi. Now I'm wondering if I should get myself a blue rinsed perm and one of those motorised scooter things instead.

Anyone else have this dilemma?

Chris1603 Mon 21-Oct-13 23:02:53

We should change the word 'mutton' to 'fashion victim'? You can get it right or get it wrong at any age.

susieb755 Mon 21-Oct-13 22:50:15

I usually ask my daughter if I am dressed like a sheep, and she tells me straight ! Being older should nt have to mean being a slob ( unless you really want to)

On Friday our modern apprentice aged 17 discovered my age, and sais she hopes she looks as good as me when shes 'that old: ...... smile

Ruthdpl Mon 21-Oct-13 22:16:26

I find these sorts of threads a bit frustrating to read because there is such an apparent contradiction. On the one hand 'ladies of a certain age' protest about becoming invisible, not being respected for our knowledge & experience etc etc. On the other, lots of Gransnet contributors apparently welcome retirement as an opportunity to slob about in trackie bottoms, woolly hats and be covered in dog hair!

Seems to me that if people don't care how they look, others may well perceive a lack of self respect & self esteem. Inevitably this means that our opinions aren't as respected as they might be.

janthea Mon 21-Oct-13 13:03:20

Flowerofthewest shock

My usual garb (for work) is slimleg black trousers with various types of tops with a jacket or cardie. Sometimes a dress with opaque tights, worn with heels or pumps.

Casual wear is skinny jeans (varying colours) longish tops, boot (biker, long, ankle) or pumps. A lot of red - love red!

Flowerofthewest Sun 20-Oct-13 23:20:29

A friend and I once went to a Status Quo concert at Wembly Arena. She was dressed in a pair of white jeans, sparkly top and flashing earrings topping of the whole look with a tiara of tinsel (Well it was a month to Christmas) I was wearing a more sober look but with the tinsel in several places. This was only about 20 years ago so I would have been a good 45 and my friend a little older. She was also tottering on high heels. We disembarked at Kings Cross Station and not sure where to go from there we turned LEFT - right towards the Red Light District. We had only gone a few yards when she and I were approached by two men who asked 'How much?' My friend got into conversation with them, I don't think she realised what they had said and she was single and, I think, hoping to 'pull' I said to her to come away when the other guy asked me 'how much'. I grabbed my friend and we trotted back into the station and to the underground. Don't know if that constitutes as Mutton but we were certainly lambs to the slaughter.

Deedaa Sun 20-Oct-13 20:41:25

Once went out for a meal with a friend who was wearing and exotically patterned jump suit. Halfway through she went off to the loo. She returned looking a bit stressed. Apparently the loo stood on a platform in the middle of a largish room and there was no lock on the door. She had to strip off and pray no one came through the door grin

Tegan Sun 20-Oct-13 19:38:07

Nellie; I was going to ask about that [the toilet problem] confused. They must surely be out of the question for anyone whose bladder is of an age that makes it less than cast iron [actually, that rules out 3 year olds as well, so who are they for?].

Nelliemoser Sun 20-Oct-13 19:33:31

Ah! The blue boiler suits for the proles.

vegasmags Sun 20-Oct-13 19:28:09

I remember that in Mao's China, everyone had to wear a uniform and women were not supposed to spend more than a few minutes titivating themselves. Politics apart, I remember thinking what an attractive idea this was, so I must have been a slob in the making even then.

Nelliemoser Sun 20-Oct-13 19:25:56

The problem with a onesie is surely having to take the lot off to go for a pee. The do not look elegant on anyone over the age of three. wink

ninathenana Sun 20-Oct-13 19:08:38

glamma Have you thought of a onesie instead of the PJ's ?
I would wear one. Only in doors though, if I was a few stone slimmer.

Tegan Sun 20-Oct-13 17:02:50

Well I went to M&S to buy some new joggers but they are all so unflattering that I'm going to carry on going to the gym in my old ones with the brown stain / hole in the seam as they are very corset like and make me look very slim [it's the wobbly bits at the top of thighs that joggers seem to emphasise]. In fact I'm going to a]try to repair the hole in one pair and b] try some black marker pen on the ones with the brown stain. Why couldn't I have got the stain on the ones with the hole confused. I couldn't see the pink sweaters; maybe they're just in Birmingham?

Chris1603 Sun 20-Oct-13 15:04:15

I try and dress to suit my figure not my age and if I don't show too much flesh I reckon that's about right. I have some skinnies and also leggings which I will wear with longer tops and jumpers when it gets colder.

Who made these rules? Surely we are old enough to make our own rules?

annodomini Sun 20-Oct-13 13:20:56

When my hair started to go silver at the front, I suddenly found that pink was flattering. I had rarely worn it previously.

gracesmum Sun 20-Oct-13 12:52:51

Letting Yourself Go is absolutely fine. We all know that letting the DC go with good grace is much conducive to them coming back of their own accord.
However, I am still waiting for myself to come back confused

Hey what does it matter what you wear anyway, it's how you feel in it that counts, although I do find it slightly sickening that DDs and their age group (30's) can all look good in a bin bag whereas I look more like a bin bag. grin

Atqui Sun 20-Oct-13 12:47:02

Thanks! where have I been hiding!!!!

Lona Sun 20-Oct-13 12:08:13

It's a scarf that is a complete circle, no ends, just loop it over your head twice.

Atqui Sun 20-Oct-13 12:00:54

Sorry if I missed it , but again, please, what is a circle/ circular scarf??

Tegan Sun 20-Oct-13 11:06:08

M&S have got some lovely pink sweaters this winter. I'm not, in general, a pink person [grey/black/brown, me] but pink is ever so warm and flattering. I think the reason why my everyday clothes are so scruffy is that, when I do buy something new it's a 'wear for best' item, which then goes in the wardrobe and waits for the moths to arrive.

glammanana Sun 20-Oct-13 10:53:48

I can scrub up well enough when necessary but spend most of my time in my levi's which I found where my style years ago wearing mostly with either baggy tops or jumpers in the winter, I always have a circular scarf to hand and have a vast amount of them in all colours also a massive collection of big junk necklaces to wear most days,now the weather has changed and gone cooler and I don't have to go anywhere I will willingly change into fleecey pj's about 4pm (or sooner if I can get away with it),I think as long as you are comfortable with what you are wearing its ok to dress as you please,but certainly no blue rinses for me,pink maybe or a vibrant red but not blue thank you very much grin

vegasmags Sun 20-Oct-13 10:42:54

Tegan and Iam64- I think we would cut a fine sight at the shops, especially as thanks to my new puppy, I now smell of dog and am covered in Ready brek!

Tegan Sun 20-Oct-13 10:30:27

I shall have that thought in my head next time I go shopping shock. The three of us together...

Iam64 Sun 20-Oct-13 07:20:03

Tegan and Vegas - can I join your trips to the shops. I spend most of my time in dog walking clothes, I have two pairs of very old jeans (with lycra of course) 3 sweat shirts and 2 T shirts, and a pair of cut of jeans for the summer. I am way beyond the point where I wonder whether I can nip to the supermarket dressed like this (always walking boots to accommodate the orthotics as well). My head wear is stylish though, it's one of those ear warming head bands, so my hair sticks up on the top.

Tegan Sat 19-Oct-13 23:40:05

Oh I do have some fingerless gloves. When they took my heating away at work a couple of years ago I cut the fingers out of some gloves so as to shame them, but I now use them for gardening.

hebrideanlady Sat 19-Oct-13 23:28:44

I dont use Granvilles emporium, I have different supplier