Gransnet forums

Chat

Weather

(100 Posts)
Brendawymms Fri 25-Oct-13 19:20:36

For those in the south you may remember the weather for October 1987 when it was very warm and very wet during the month until the night of the 16th when we had the "hurricane" and great areas were damaged and without electricity for some time. The weather at the moment reminds me of then and with the gale, with 80mph gusts due Sunday night early Monday I worry. It was also about midnight to 4am it struck last time. What do other GN'ers think?

FlicketyB Sat 02-Nov-13 19:57:53

Weather not as bad as promised last weekend. But at the moment it is blowing a hooley out there, much worse than last Sunday.

Petrie Tue 29-Oct-13 14:12:31

Woke up at 6am for usual early morning trip to bathroom and heard the wind battering at the window. Stupidly opened the window to look out and spent the next 5 minutes trying to close it again against the strong gusts. There was no rain but wow every tree and shrub was being blown all the way to the its roots. I really thought they could not hold their own but thankfully come morning they had which is more than three of my neighbours's panel fencings had. Every storm panel fencing litters the landscape. Why buy it ?

MaggieP Mon 28-Oct-13 12:28:41

Heavy rain overnight in NW Norfolk on edge of the Wash, and a few gusts of wind this morning but sun out now, we were lucky, judging by some of the news this morning. Better to have been forewarned I say grin

grumppa Mon 28-Oct-13 11:58:26

A few trees, branches and advertising hoardings down here in North-East London, and a chimney stack and roof across the road have been damaged by plastic sheeting unravelling from a neighbour's loft conversion work.

Gally Mon 28-Oct-13 11:48:09

....rang my 98 year old aunt in Sussex to see if she's ok. Roof still on but all her apples are now on the ground; says that will save her climbing up a ladder to pick them! thlshock

Gally Mon 28-Oct-13 11:35:32

Positively balmy here in Fife, sunny and little or no wind - our turn will come no doubt! I was worried about my family in the south but SiL got a train into Paddington no trouble and was at his desk by 8.30 and the huge trees opposite their house are still upright, so sleepless night for no reason wink

Oldgreymare Mon 28-Oct-13 10:47:58

Woken up at 5 a.m. when the wind was at its worst. No obvious damage, BUT, I'm still in my DG and haven't ventured out yet.
Phonecall from DS to see if we were all O.K. ( we have DGS here at the mo')
Jess my sister counted 12 ships sheltering off the coast yesterday.....

merlotgran Mon 28-Oct-13 10:38:02

Things much calmer here now. Sunshine and blustery wind - a typical autumn day.

Ariadne Mon 28-Oct-13 10:10:30

We got back here to north Devon at about 8.30 last night; drove through driving wind and rain but no worse than we have experienced on that route. (From East Sussex.) if there was a storm last night, we were so tired that we wouldn't have noticed! Sunshine and heavy showers now.

sunseeker Mon 28-Oct-13 09:40:31

Very heavy rain here now and strong gusts of wind but not as bad as was forecast.

Charleygirl Mon 28-Oct-13 09:39:04

I do not think that we got the worst of it in NW London as all fences, sheds etc appear to be in place and no trees or even a branch is down. I will leave my garden furniture in my dining room until I am certain that the storm is over. I slept through it.

Mishap Mon 28-Oct-13 09:36:56

We were forecast 90 mph winds and heavy rain - none of it happened; and indeed we were watching TV this morning to see what had happened and the weather map indicated terrible weather where we are, and we were gazing out of the window at the sunshine!

annodomini Mon 28-Oct-13 09:25:56

It's been very hit or miss, hasn't it? Family in Berkshire is fine. Here we might as well be in another country.

sunseeker Mon 28-Oct-13 08:56:16

Here in North Somerset we seem to have been lucky and the worst has passed us by (well at least in my part of North Somerset), very windy all night with the wind really picking up around 5.00. There are reports on local radio of some trees down and some localised flooding but other than that all seems well.

I was convinced I would lose electricity because it usually goes off even for the slightest breeze, so got out the candles and kept a big torch by the side of my bed - no need. Glad its over although I heard it is building again ready to hit Europe.

Hope everyone is OK

AlieOxon Mon 28-Oct-13 08:22:12

I feel like it missed us. A wet windy night, but my greenhouse tarpaulin stayed on - and the sky is now clear and the sun out. Will it last?

A very noisy night too. What with worries and wind, I didn't get much sleep.

JessM Mon 28-Oct-13 08:14:14

The met office was right then tanith to tell everyone to stay at home this morning. Just a wet night, now over in N Wales, we missed it. Am a tad concerned about my friends scaffolding which includes a huge corrugated iron roof above the not-yet-finished roof in the south midlands. I will give her a ring in a bit.

tanith Mon 28-Oct-13 08:04:55

We have trees down in the street on cars, fences and branches and leaves whirling about the place its very wild here in W. London.

merlotgran Mon 28-Oct-13 07:41:44

I didn't think it was too bad when I let the dogs out at 7am as we're used to storms on the Fens but it's getting worse now and the gusts are making me worry about the chimney. I think all the hype makes you more anxious though.

At least the electricity is still on (hoping I haven't spoken too soon) so I'm halfway down a large mug of tea smile

kittylester Mon 28-Oct-13 07:22:38

Just wet and windy in our bit of the east midlands.. it has turned out to be a bit of a (very) damp squib.

Hope no-one has suffered any injury or damage. sunshine

glammanana Mon 28-Oct-13 07:13:29

It is just rain here at the moment on The Wirral we are fortunate to be sheltered on three side here and tucked away from serious wind storms,a few gusts of wind but that seems about all really,I hope everyone is OK this am and not too much damage done.

Brendawymms Mon 28-Oct-13 07:10:24

Just realised no vehicles are going by so there must be a tree or two down.

Gagagran Mon 28-Oct-13 06:34:36

A noisy night with the wind really howling but it seems to have eased a little now here on the south Hampshire coast. The patio is covered in leaves but I can't see any damage in the garden. I think the worst might have passed over.

Brendawymms Mon 28-Oct-13 06:28:07

No apples left on the tree but it's not raining, actually it's fairly dry. Wind still strong but no damage to be seen from here in my bit of very exposed East Sussex. Hope everyone ok.

Laine21 Sun 27-Oct-13 23:24:56

It's actually very quiet here on the Wirral, touching wood as I type this :-) we have had a few little gusts, but nothing out if the ordinary as yet. But most of the day has been blue sky with clouds flying over and the odd bit of drizzle. Even now there is not much of a breeze, the tres are hardly moving. I had been keeping an eye on the Wirralwebcam and the only waves were at New Brighton. Calm before the storm as they say.

I hope everyone stays safe
Laine

Tegan Sun 27-Oct-13 21:46:38

Still waiting for something to happen in the East Midlands; calm before the storm perhaps?