Gransnet forums

Chat

Saints and scroungers

(5 Posts)
petra Wed 06-Nov-13 11:20:08

Just watching the above programme. There is a woman who has been claiming ALL the benefits. On her original application she put her landlord down as ( such & such)
7 YEARS LATER they discover that she is named as a director of this company�� not only that, but she had a live mortgage on a property.
Now call me stupid, but wouldn't you think that all that would have been checked when she first applied.
Is there anyone on here who has worked in

Charleygirl Wed 06-Nov-13 11:32:31

petra I can no longer watch these programmes as I get so angry. I wonder many times why I worked my socks off day and night over 39 years but I can hold my head up high.

rohitshah Thu 07-Nov-13 04:49:57

hi

i m rohitshah tell me about ur problem i m here ..

petra Thu 07-Nov-13 07:06:13

Hi Rohitshah.
I don't have a problem. I just wanted to know why nobody does a check on these people. ie this woman gave her landlord as the company of which she was a director. There was also a live mortgage. Easy to check.
Won't be making any replies. Off on a 2,000 mile road trip today.

FlicketyB Thu 07-Nov-13 08:22:08

I think one of the secrets of these scroungers is that they almost always live in big cities where people move around a lot and do not know their neighbours. In smaller communities it is more likely someone will be aware or suspicious and inform on them. My experience has been that Social Security soon catch up with ordinary people with simple affairs who inadvertently make a mistake or get tangled in the benefits system. But the serious cheats deliberately manage their affairs so that they are difficult to check up on.

At least people like those in the programme mentioned are found out. I do, however, think people cheating the system of large amounts should face a more punitive repayment regime. Tax cheats pay a penalty when they evade tax and are caught, it may be they have to pay twice as much as they owe. We should make large scale benefit cheats pay back the money they stole plus the costs of the investigation into them, or plus a 25% penalty payment or something like that.