Gransnet forums

Chat

Cliff Richard.

(77 Posts)
Nonu Wed 20-Nov-13 15:08:16

He has come on the Tv last night or two I think advertising something . Suppose a new CD , couldn't be bothered to listen , so muted.
I am probably among the very few who are not keen , don"t know why as he is relatively inoffensive , but he really grates on me. {as for being the British Elvis } in your dreams !
Same goes for McCartney with his dyed hair --- give it up , your voice has gone .
Hmmmm

janeainsworth Wed 20-Nov-13 17:23:12

There is a Facebook community that you can 'like' - Stop Paul McCartney and Elton John performing at any more national events.
wink

wombat22 Wed 20-Nov-13 17:39:43

This thread has made me laugh! I thought I was the only person to detest Cliff and McCartney so much. I am thrilled that Monty Python has also been added to the list. So unfunny. I do quite like Elvis though. She not old but can I throw Jane McDonald on this list. She was always so simpering wink

Kiora Wed 20-Nov-13 17:40:44

Another vote here dare I say it but I think the Rolling Stones have had their day..along with Elton John. I don't get it they've made their money, they've left a legacy why spoil it now?

glammanana Wed 20-Nov-13 17:46:57

sunseeker maybe the £1 millon £s had something to do with Monty Python reforming they may need to top up their pensions,can't be doing with Cliff Richard although I bought The Shadows instramentals and still play them sometimes,Paul Mc should retire with grace as he sure does not need the income and has become a laughing stock,such a shame.

feetlebaum Wed 20-Nov-13 17:49:46

Of course there are people still working who are excellent - Georgie Fame comes to mind. My old boss, Madeline Bell does some excellent duet dates with him (and she is over 70 - although she certainly doesn't look it). But then, these are people with a wealth of experience outside the top 20 pop world.

janeainsworth Wed 20-Nov-13 17:50:16

Yes, Old Age isn't for rock'n'roll has-beens.
The good ones died young.
I still like going to live performances of Blues and Jazz, but only when performed by relatively young people.
Though having said that, we did see B.B. King aged about 77 once and he sat down throughout his stunning performance.
And I do still fancy Bryan Ferry [phwoarr emoticon]

tiggypiro Wed 20-Nov-13 17:52:47

I used to like them both but now ........... Yuk ! Why do they not want to look their age ? Their hands give away whatever they are trying to hide with the hair dye.
While we are at it I agree The Rolling Stones are quite ridiculous and deserve to be added to the list of has beens who should fade away.

KatyK Wed 20-Nov-13 17:55:05

I have seen the Facebook campaign to stop Paul McCartney performing at national events. Why should he stop? As long as people are willing to pay to see him (and millions do) I don't see a problem. I am rather prejudice as a life long Beatles fan but I saw Paul perform a few years ago in concert and he was fantastic. Cliff is also still a good live performer (although I wouldn't call myself a Cliff fan). His latest CD is in top 10 album charts at the moment so someone must like him. Sorry! blush

cazthebookworm Wed 20-Nov-13 18:00:12

I'm in agreement too, CR on the One Show, how embarrassing was that, and trying to compete with One Direction, and poor old McCartney's voice has gone, if he ever had one. John Lennon was the talent there. Of course, in my eyes there was no one quite like Elvis, he ticked all the right boxes for me and always will, handsome, talented and unspoilt until the management around him ruined him. CR the UK's Elvis. NEVER. Talking of the One Show, Matt Baker gets on my nerves, he is always fidgeting and doesn't seem relaxed, especially his laugh which seems exaggerated and false. Sorry, I'm being bitchy.

janeainsworth Wed 20-Nov-13 18:02:06

Er I think the FB campaign was a joke katyK hmm

Nonu Wed 20-Nov-13 18:02:06

I like others of don"t like
Cilla, false
Ranson , or as it was Rantson [like that] too full of herself , pity she nicked someones elses husband to further career IMO
Jane McDonald again too simpery -- for goodness sake you are a grown woman.

I do like Dale Winton though, I have heard he is big mates with Cliff & Cilla

Nonu Wed 20-Nov-13 18:05:11

Mind you I am a huge fan of Elvis [as said before been to Graceland Twice]

KatyK Wed 20-Nov-13 18:06:56

In the days when I used to go on Facebook I used to see this on some people's pages trying to get you to join the campaign to get Paul McCartney, Elton John and others to stop performing at national events. So I assumed it was a real campaign? I have never met anyone who likes Cilla Black.

ninathenana Wed 20-Nov-13 18:10:57

I have never liked Cliff, I'm another who turns over when he's on. I was a Beatles fan but I agree Paul is now cringe worthy. Would rather listen to Elvis but I wouldn't call myself a big fan.
I think there does come a time when some singers should call it a day. I have always been a massive fan of Diana Ross but after seeing her last live performance at Wembley in my opinion she should retire.

KatyK Wed 20-Nov-13 18:14:04

I think I'm on my own on this one ! grin

flowerfriend Wed 20-Nov-13 18:15:08

gransnetters negative? Never!

wisewoman Wed 20-Nov-13 18:34:28

I loved Cliff Richard and had a full page poster of him on my wall when I was 15. However I grew up and he didn't. He looks really weird. Is that a wig? He can't need the money, surely, so he should rest on his laurels and enjoy life.

Ana Wed 20-Nov-13 18:38:26

Another one who looks really weird these days is Barry Manilow. And yes, I did like him in his heyday...blush

Iam64 Wed 20-Nov-13 18:43:08

I have always found CR off putting and that has increased over both our life times. I don't trust him.
The Beatles brought such pleasure in my youth, and I still admire their work. I wish Paul all the best, though he was never my favourite Beatle.
I love Lenny Cohen - he has aged as beautifully as he writes and sings. Phew.
Bob Dylan's early stuff was a glory, but his 'voice' hasn't benefitted from ageing. He remains a fascinating individual.
Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell - so many brilliant writer singers in that generation. CR never stood a chance of competing with them in my affections.

Agus Wed 20-Nov-13 18:45:45

Count me in too. I cringe with embarrassment when either of them perform.

Presley was actually a wee bit before my time.

Not a phrase I can use often nowadays though grin

janeainsworth Wed 20-Nov-13 18:49:20

Do you remember this one Iam64
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Xm30heHms
[sigh]

Marelli Wed 20-Nov-13 18:52:05

I do like Elvis - but then he never did get to be an old chap, did he! Went to see Willie Nelson two or three years ago, and he was brilliant! He was old, thin and with saggy skin on his arms - and sang just how he always had done. His guitar had a big hole in it, and he said that when it packed in, so would he.

Riverwalk Wed 20-Nov-13 19:01:19

I never did like Cliff but have a soft spot for Macca!

flowerfriend Wed 20-Nov-13 19:14:00

A week or two ago, I was keen to start a thread along the lines of 'Paul Macartney should retire gracefully'. But I didn't have the courage. How wrong was I!

harrigran Wed 20-Nov-13 19:17:03

Add me to the list, toe curling old men.