Gransnet forums

Chat

I kid you not !

(22 Posts)
gillybob Thu 21-Nov-13 08:11:07

My sister is not the brightest button in the box but this one really takes the biscuit;

She works in the NHS (admin) and applied for a new job in a hospital nearer to home. There were quite a few candidates up for the new post. She received a telephone call yesterday afternoon from a lady in HR who said "I am just calling to tell you that you have been successful and we would like to offer you the job" what did my sister say?

"Oh thank you, but can I not start until after Christmas because I have spent £10 on the Secret Santa present and would hate to waste it"

I bet HR are wondering what kind of looney they have appointed! grin

moomin Thu 21-Nov-13 08:14:17

grin

Brendawymms Thu 21-Nov-13 08:20:03

flowers

Aka Thu 21-Nov-13 08:20:10

Nice to know the admin of the NHS is in such competent hands wink

gillybob Thu 21-Nov-13 08:27:07

Exactly Aka so when you appointment gets c*cked up, or the clinic is overbooked you know why don't you?

Galen Thu 21-Nov-13 08:34:34

grin

ninathenana Thu 21-Nov-13 08:44:15

grin grin

I'm shock they agreed

Sook Thu 21-Nov-13 08:46:38

gillybob she sounds just like mine, a total air head.

Marelli Thu 21-Nov-13 08:52:20

grin - I hope the wee present's worth waiting for, gillybob!!

gillybob Thu 21-Nov-13 10:41:31

Yes Sook she is totally airy fairy most of the time how the hell she ever got the job in the first place is beyond me but she's harmless. smile

Oh I'm sure it will be Marelli I tried telling her that the £15 per week in saved bus fares were worth more than the loss of the "secret santa gift" but apparently "its not about the money" hmm

Sook Thu 21-Nov-13 10:50:00

gilly grin

annodomini Thu 21-Nov-13 11:08:09

Makes me wonder what the other job applicants were like. hmm

gillybob Thu 21-Nov-13 11:13:44

I think the other applicants might not have been available until after the annual easter egg hunt anno grin

Nelliemoser Thu 21-Nov-13 11:39:44

Gillybob grin

gracesmum Thu 21-Nov-13 11:54:33

She sounds perfectly lovely and I can see exactly where she is coming from - or at least I could untill you added the bit about the bus fares!! grin

whenim64 Thu 21-Nov-13 12:00:55

Oh dear! grin Reminds me of the young woman who, when we asked her if she had any questions for us in her interview for an admin post, said 'do you honour holidays already planned?' We said 'yes, which weeks are you talking about?' She replied 'oh, probably over Christmas and New Year, but I've not sorted it out yet.' Wanting to be helpful, we asked 'what's stopping you?' 'Well, I've run out of leave now, but I can start afresh when I get this job.' Cheek!

Nelliemoser Thu 21-Nov-13 12:06:27

(GillyBob) This has been bothering me!

Did she actually admit to you that she told the person who offered her the job about her secret Santa remark, or did you overhear it?

It would sort of add to my picture of her. grin

gillybob Thu 21-Nov-13 12:10:59

Oh dear what have I started ?

She admitted it Nelliemoser she said the lady from HR laughed over the phone. I said, "I think she might have thought you were joking" to which my sister replied "Oh dear do you think so? perhaps I should ring her back and tell her I wasn't!"

She wouldnt hurt a fly !

Nonnie Thu 21-Nov-13 12:17:01

From the recruitment point of view, better the innocents who come out with such things than the devious so and sos who lie and cheat! I've seen them all.

She's probably very good at her job and just a sweet person who wouldn't recognise subterfuge if it hit her in the face. smile

whenim64 Thu 21-Nov-13 12:20:59

Good point, Nonnie!

glassortwo Thu 21-Nov-13 13:16:34

gilly she sounds like my youngest sister grin

gillybob Thu 21-Nov-13 14:25:50

Is she a bit of a dumb nut too glass ?

I know she takes her job very seriously Nonnie and is the most honest person you could ever meet.