Gransnet forums

Chat

Decorating

(43 Posts)
Nonu Sat 30-Nov-13 18:15:10

So who is decorating the house tomorrow ?
1st Sunday in Advent .
I am and will be playing Christmas carols a lot of the time !
smile

Ariadne Sun 01-Dec-13 20:37:13

No, never seen it, but DGD used to watch it a bit. So it's just an Americanism, then.

Nonu Sun 01-Dec-13 20:26:45

DO you not watch FRIENDS , seems to mean the same as "same to you"wink

Ariadne Sun 01-Dec-13 20:22:31

What does "right back at you" mean, please?

annodomini Sun 01-Dec-13 20:09:10

I will leave some decorations up - a tiny tree and some tinsel - when I go away for Christmas and maybe augment them a bit for my New Year guests - sister and BiL. Down at 12th Night as is traditional.

Galen Sun 01-Dec-13 20:02:24

grin

rockgran Sun 01-Dec-13 20:01:02

My husband's birthday is in December so we don't put the decorations up until after that is over. He doesn't like his birthday to disappear into the festivities.
Our grandchildren are in the Falklands now so this is our first Christmas without them - they usually decorate the tree with us so that will be a bit strange. Still, this year I can have a more sophisticated look!smile We have seen a Facebook picture of their tree which they put up today. It's huge! Theirs will be a summer Christmas!

Nonu Sun 01-Dec-13 19:50:08

You are very gracious Soutra .
not seen your postings before , are you a Newbie ??

Soutra Sun 01-Dec-13 19:38:02

The flowers were actually for anybody feeling sad at the thought of Christmas.

olive2709 Sun 01-Dec-13 19:21:07

DD put hers up today,me I have always put mine up christmass eve . Not this year changing things will be starting 15th . getting things out in the back room,no body is allowed in there but me Help from kids on 21st.Then I will write the clues for the present hunt on christmass afternoon when they come to my house. as this is the last christmass day at home forDSIL for next 4 years ,leaving then to have the main part alone

Nonu Sun 01-Dec-13 19:19:00

^ SOUTRA ^ how very kind , right back at you flowers

Soutra Sun 01-Dec-13 19:16:34

All in the *best pahssible taste" eh nonu? grin

Any grannies who may be dreading Christmas becasue they will be alone and lonely, or because of illness or perhaps because recently bereaved, might care to skip this thread for the next 24 days.flowers to you

Nonu Sun 01-Dec-13 18:53:11

INISH < where do you live I could pop over , I don"t charge a lot !!

gringrin

inishowen Sun 01-Dec-13 18:51:37

I wish the fairies would come and decorate my whole house! I find it tiresome to do, but of course I love to see my grandchildren's faces when it's done. Just have to find some energy ....

Nonu Sun 01-Dec-13 18:42:03

I also love to drape IVY over pictures to bring in a natural look !

Ana Sun 01-Dec-13 18:40:19

Sook - same here! grin

merlotgran Sun 01-Dec-13 18:38:57

A lot of our decorations are fresh so if I put up garlands and wreaths too early they look terrible by Christmas day.

Sook Sun 01-Dec-13 18:29:32

Ours goes up as late as possible and comes down as soon as possible grin

KatyK Sun 01-Dec-13 17:54:12

I have a friend who covers her decorated tree with black bags and stores it away, then just uncovers it and places it in situ each year. It's an artificial one I hasten to add grin

Nonu Sun 01-Dec-13 17:51:38

I am certain I won"t be ^ BORED^ for starters I have ALL the family coming . Joy indeed !

Nonu Sun 01-Dec-13 17:49:21

wELL I did it , decorated the house this morning looks totally devine , even though I say it myself .
All the pretty lights , nothing naff though you understand !!
We went out a friends for lunch and I had put lights to come on timer , such a delight , when we arrived home .
I love EVERY SINGLE THING about Christmas.

happiness to you all X

annodomini Sun 01-Dec-13 10:30:40

The village Christmas tree has been up for about a week. On Tuesday there's the annual Christmas fest. By the time the big day comes, are we likely to be bored with it all?

Ariadne Sun 01-Dec-13 09:58:57

Not yet! But, driving round, there are already some houses with the most awful stuff outside - huge plastic Santas, the lot! I love to see a few twinkling lights, though.

The electricity bills that people must run up amaze me.

And yes, Advent is a time for anticipation and reflection, to prepare spiritually for the arrival of Christ. So I was taught.

"The bells of waiting Advent ring..."

ginny Sat 30-Nov-13 23:28:29

Far too early. I would be fed up with them by Christmas. Ours will go up on the 20th .

tanith Sat 30-Nov-13 23:06:25

A neighbour of ours has had her tree up and lit for 2wks and several other neighbours have commented on it , not in a good way I might add...they were trying to convince their youngsters that Christmas was weeks away still.

ninathenana Sat 30-Nov-13 22:45:27

The wife of a guy I worked for many years ago, always put up their decs on her birthday..........

5th November shock

We have always done ours around the 15th December and taken them down 2nd January