Gransnet forums

Chat

Peter O'Toole

(15 Posts)
KatyK Sun 15-Dec-13 18:32:51

DH's favourite actor, especially in Lawrence of Arabia. Sad news.

Anne58 Sun 15-Dec-13 18:35:41

Oh, I still remember that scene, those eyes, those cheekbones. That one shot, he was beautiful in that shot.

Ana Sun 15-Dec-13 18:41:49

He was so gorgeous, wasn't he? And such a character...what a life he had!

Anne58 Sun 15-Dec-13 18:56:44

For years I have tried to explain to people that in that shot, his face could be classified as "beautiful" not handsome, good looking etc, but beautiful. Very few understood what I was getting at.

KatyK Sun 15-Dec-13 18:59:57

I agree Phoenix. I had the same thoughts about Terence Stamp's face.

annodomini Sun 15-Dec-13 19:45:21

He was wonderful as HenryII in both Beckett - with Richard Burton, what a partnership!- and in The Lion in Winter opposite Katharine Hepburn - again, an amazing pairing.

merlotgran Sun 15-Dec-13 19:47:37

A new boyfriend took me to see Lord Jim. I cried so much it must have put him right off me because he didn't ask me out again!

Penstemmon Sun 15-Dec-13 21:12:19

Peter O'Toole was beautiful.

Deedaa Sun 15-Dec-13 21:17:19

Terence Stamp is still so beautiful isn't he KatyK ? I thought he looked so stunning in Priscilla Queen of the Desert, most women of a certain age would have killed to look like that. Peter O'Toole had the same sort of beauty and so did Richard Burton. If you looked at Burton next to Liz Taylor their features were very similar.
I think I saw Beckett at least 8 times when it first came out and I still watch it now if it's on TV. The Lion in Winter was a favourite too. I could have watched O'Toole and Hepburn for hours! Wonderful to see two great stars striking sparks off each other.

KatyK Sun 15-Dec-13 22:33:19

Deedaa - yes Terence Stamp is still beautiful - I think it's the bone structure. DH said to me tonight - Peter O'Toole gone - end of an era .

POGS Tue 17-Dec-13 23:09:22

Peter O'Toole was one of the UK's best actors.

I cannot remember the film he did in his latter ears but he was brilliant.

He starred alongside Derick Jacobi and played the part of a dirty old man who fell in love with the niece of his friend (Jacobi). It was creepy, pervy but bitter sweet and sad. He was astounding in the role and he simply never lost the edge.

I bet he was one hell of character in real life too.

petra Wed 18-Dec-13 13:28:19

That shot in the film was STUNNING. Whenever there is something on the news about the middle east my OH and I always chant: Orance! Orance! As the two little orphan boys called him.
Did anyone see the film, My Favorite Year. Hilarious.

annodomini Wed 18-Dec-13 13:38:26

The story goes that when O'Toole and Richard Harris (I think) were drinking in a pub, the landlord called 'time'; so O'Toole bought the pub and they carried on drinking. tchgrin

whenim64 Wed 18-Dec-13 13:44:20

Yes, that's true, Anno. Apparently, though, when they sobered up enough to realise what they'd done, they stopped the cheque. grin

Deedaa Wed 18-Dec-13 20:40:50

Apparently Noel Coward said that if Peter O'Toole had been any more beautiful they would have to have called the film Florence of Arabia.
My mother and I always did the Orance! thing petra